What's new

Unsticking an adjustable

Legion

Staff member
I bought a Slim that was stuck. It took me many, many soaks in hot water and dishwashing liquid to eventually free it up. I would work the adjustment knob while it was soaking in the cooling cleaning solution. I thought that I bought a dud but it did eventually unstick. I think at one stage I even used some small pointy nose pliers to try and get some movement happening.
Was yours just hard to move, or stuck solid?

Legion

Staff member
It's been so long since I've used any of my other adjustable razors, I can't remember where I set them. I think it was around 4 or 5.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
From memory, you would try to move the adjuster and you could feel it move a small amount but not enough to click to the next setting. I kept dripping straight dishwashing liquid into the adjuster and anywhere else I could get it to go. When I finally got it to go it still took many soaks to get it to move through every setting. You could go from 1 and then to 2 but you couldn’t go to 3. Then after a few more soaks you could go to the next setting. It took some time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's been so long since I've used any of my other adjustable razors, I can't remember where I set them. I think it was around 4 or 5.
4 is my "magic" number, but the last time I used my Fatboy (giggle) I set it on 11 !! (on a lark) and it was fine. I was just actually careful.

FarmerTan

From memory, you would try to move the adjuster and you could feel it move a small amount but not enough to click to the next setting. I kept dripping straight dishwashing liquid into the adjuster and anywhere else I could get it to go. When I finally got it to go it still took many soaks to get it to move through every setting. You could go from 1 and then to 2 but you couldn’t go to 3. Then after a few more soaks you could go to the next setting. It took some time.
Does anyone think if it was just left to soak it would hurt it any? I mean for an extended time, like.... "patience is a virtue" length of time? Several days? My theory being it has probably been that way for years, possibly decades?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Does anyone think if it was just left to soak it would hurt it any? I mean for an extended time, like.... "patience is a virtue" length of time? Several days? My theory being it has probably been that way for years, possibly decades?
From memory David, that is exactly what I did. Left it for hours soaking, when the water got cold I started again. I am sure it took me days to get it working well enough to finally use.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve let my razors soak in *boiling water for several hours. It was boiling when I poured it on the razors that is. I just let them soak until I can grab them out with my bare hands. Usually an hour or so. These razors ain’t been around for 50-80 years because they are fragile and no one has used them. They were built to be used and abused and I’m not ashamed to do just that. Especially a Slim. Those things are still readily available. Nothing rare about them.

FarmerTan

I’ve let my razors soak in *boiling water for several hours. It was boiling when I poured it on the razors that is. I just let them soak until I can grab them out with my bare hands. Usually an hour or so. These razors ain’t been around for 50-80 years because they are fragile and no one has used them. They were built to be used and abused and I’m not ashamed to do just that. Especially a Slim. Those things are still readily available. Nothing rare about them.
I need to get a Slim. My Fatboy was made before my birthday, so if and when I get a Slim it'll be an H2.

I have an H2 Tech, but I've just been patiently waiting for the Slim to come along!

Legion

Staff member
Nah, I only picked it up because it was a gold one, and I didn't have one of those in the collection. I have the Fatboy Executive already.

FarmerTan

You recon WD-40 would hurt the finish?
I was going to recommend that, but it ain't my razor!!! I think the finish would be fine, I mean, you spray it on the car door hinges of a Cadillac!

But I wonder if WD40 would cut soap scum/crud any better than HOT water?

Legion

Staff member
I was going to recommend that, but it ain't my razor!!! I think the finish would be fine, I mean, you spray it on the car door hinges of a Cadillac!

But I wonder if WD40 would cut soap scum/crud any better than HOT water?
My worry is, I think those gold razors are lacquered, which is why it is not recommended to boil them. WD-40 might do something to the lacquer. Maybe.

FarmerTan

My worry is, I think those gold razors are lacquered, which is why it is not recommended to boil them. WD-40 might do something to the lacquer. Maybe.
Oh. Yeah, I forgot about the lacquer. It'll chew that off I'd bet. No go baby!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You recon WD-40 would hurt the finish?
I have not used any oils yet. Seeing that it is not an heirloom razor and you mentioned the price was right you could only try it in little squirts and see what happens. I bought a Gillette Red Tip a few years ago and it was covered in gunk. I dropped it in a bucket with hot water and bi-carb soda. It cleaned it up a treat but when I was giving it a clean in warm water and dishwashing liquid the red paint fell off in my hand. I was devastated as the paint was really good.

Legion

Staff member
As tempted as I am to grab a pair of vice grips and say damn the torpedos, I think I might shave with it first. I suspect 5 is about right for me, so it really doesn't need to adjust. It just kind of bugs me that it doesn't.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just did a quick google and it says wd40 won’t harm lacquer. Google called it “paint”. So I guess lacquer and paint is the same thing?

Top Bottom