What's new

Gillette slim adjustable (Aristocrat) adjustable plate won't move

hi all, i have recently bought a gillette aristocrat adjustable (for those who don't know it's exactly the same as the slim adjustable but gold plated) it is in a perfect condition, the plating is perfect, the TTW mechanism is perfect with quarter turn and all, also the adjustment ring is perfect and clicks fine, the problem is that the plate itself won't move, it's stuck and moves under some force, also what I notice is that it is always stuck on the most aggressive settings even if i try to push the plate downwards then close the TTO mechanism it comes back to the most aggressive settings again? I have soaked it in hot water with dish soap, obviously went at it with a brush and dish soap, put mineral oil in it couple of times and let soak over night, boiled it, all with no luck of actually getting the mechanism to work, I have another TTO adjustable from Gillette (super adjustable) and when on 1 the plate moves so freely with just the touch of my finger?! it is in an overall perfect condition so I don't really know what is wrong with it. If you could help I'd be very thankful.

Send it to Back Roads Gold for there $30 tune up service. He does a great job. I had a Fatboy with same problem, works great now.

Send it to Back Roads Gold for there $30 tune up service. He does a great job. I had a Fatboy with same problem, works great now.
unfortunately I am in Egypt, it would cost me a fortune to send it to the US for a repair. I just want to know if that is something I could work on myself.

Playing with my Slim, it looks like there's not a great deal that can go wrong to cause what you describe - except maybe the spring is deformed and jamming under the sliding collar.

Does your spring look okay?
IMG_20230729_162149.jpg

I can only assume it is ok? This in fact is my first slim adjustable, I have a super adjustable that worked perfect since day 1. Anyway here's a picture of the spring with the TTO mechanism open.

1690645058071.png

There is a way to re-clock malfunctioning adjuster knobs on Fatboy and Slim adjustables.
Just search youtube

Your spring doesn't look like the cause.

The more I play with this the more enigmatic the mechanism is.

My best guess at this point is that an internal nut is simply out of adjustment, perhaps after having worked loose.

Or... possibly... there is still crud inside, acting as a spacer and forcing it into the hard setting.

You've already boiled it, maybe doing it again for longer would help. I know this is safe on a normal slim, but I'd worry about gold plating. You were braver than me boiling it despite logic saying it's safe. Maybe get other opinions or research it. Then boil it aggressively for a long time if the concensus is it's safe. But do check first.

Please, please, please don't boil it any more. Getting all the junk out just takes time and patience.
Have a look at this post I put up years ago - Slim adjustable internals and disassembly - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/slim-adjustable-internals-and-disassembly.320693/

There is quite a bit to clean in there.
Soak in dish washing liquid and water, try ultrasonic if possible.
Maybe try a weak vinegar solution or propriatory scale remover to remove scale, don't soak too long with this.
If all else fails it's really not that hard to strip down if that way inclined.
Steve.

Here are two photos on settings 1 and setting 9. I guess the blade gap is right for each settings? While at it i noticed a little blade dent, one of the doors wasn’t completely shut properly, looked it up apparently thats a T bar problem and its tilted, wrapped a tape around a plier and grabbed the end cap with it, tilted it back into place and now it’s perfectly aligned (i think? Even if not thats ok as long as my OCD doesn’t notice it).

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    847.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Gentlemen. I used WD40 and viola! The thing worked with IMMEDIATE effect. It moved and moved nicely. Thank you lads. Thanks a million
Well WD save day now I would clean well in dishsoap, let dry and use some Olive Oil on moving parts.

WD 40 could case skin problems. Reason I said to clean, and relive with food grade oil.

Here are two photos on settings 1 and setting 9. I guess the blade gap is right for each settings? While at it i noticed a little blade dent, one of the doors wasn’t completely shut properly, looked it up apparently thats a T bar problem and its tilted, wrapped a tape around a plier and grabbed the end cap with it, tilted it back into place and now it’s perfectly aligned (i think? Even if not thats ok as long as my OCD doesn’t notice it).
Your gaps look identical to mine. :thumbup1:

Well WD save day now I would clean well in dishsoap, let dry and use some Olive Oil on moving parts.

WD 40 could case skin problems. Reason I said to clean, and relive with food grade oil.

I have cleaned it thoroughly after the WD40 solution. It seemed like a last resort to me to be honest. And anyway i have a month off starting Tuesday and hence I shaved today I won’t shave again until the 27th of August. So I’ll let it dry out completely for a month and wash again with hot water and dish detergent. I don’t seem to see any trace of WD40 on the upper parts at least since I brushed it with a toothbrush and dish detergent but will still do that again few more times during the month. I usually use mineral oil (I’ll do that from now on) so no more WD but it was a necessity right now

Love that, will have my first proper shave with it tomorrow. I shaved with it while it was stuck. It was like on settings 10 or more, It was impossible not to cut myself with it, luckily just gave me a little nick under my nose, but I guess tomorrow imma have better luck with it, I hope

I would avoid using olive oil as a lubricant as it will probably turn rancid, especially given that the OP resides in the hot climate of Egypt. I suggest a light mineral oil would be more suitable.
I was going to suggest a de-greaser. I had a coffee grinder adjustment seize up. The coffee oil hardened. Same thing happened on my bicycles (only it wasn't coffee oil).
Skip vegetable oils. They catch dust, harden, and go rancid. Mineral oil is good, a little graphite or something like tri-flow (a mixture of silicone and teflon that momentarily foams to work it's way in.
WD40 doesn't work well as a lasting lubricant. As you noticed, it all evaporates quickly. The WD stands for Water Displacement.

Top Bottom