What's new

Two terms that are Greek to me?

• Blade gap - 0.71 mm
  • Blade exposure - 0.06 mm
This above was cut and pasted of Razor Web-Site.

As numbers increase or decrease what happpens to the working of razor assuming blade you load for use remain the same?

I am all ears.👂👂

1711632546819.png

For a more in depth discussion, see below. Personally, I don't overthink it.

It's only in recent years that modern razors started posting all the numbers for forum members to argue about.

Don't overthink it is my stance on it.

Thread 'Does blade exposure matter?' Does blade exposure matter? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/does-blade-exposure-matter.576821/

Last edited:
View attachment 1819500

For a more in depth discussion, see below. Personally, I don't overthink it.

It's only in recent years that modern razors started posting all the numbers for forum members to argue about.

Don't overthink it is my stance on it.

Thread 'Does blade exposure matter?' Does blade exposure matter? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/does-blade-exposure-matter.576821/

Above artical is very deep, personally like thing bro down to level 3rd. grader could understand. Simple as can be some most people can understand.

Picture you posted ='s many words.

As blade exposure increases you get more bladefeel and more, well, exposure to the blade. As blade gap increases, there's more angle range that will expose the blade to your skin.

As blade exposure decreases, the blade is less exposed to the skin — at negative exposures it's "hidden" behind the safety bar and cap an you might have to push to get exposure to the skin. As the gap decreases, there's a narrower range of angles at which the blade would be going into the skin.

... or at least that's kinda how I think about it.

Razors I've used with significant exposure but small gap tend to shave efficiently but have one little angle at which it's easy to cut myself. Razors with negative exposure but a big gap also feel efficient and are more tolerant of angle but I have to be more careful about pressure.

Razor geometry is complicated! Over the years I have learned to get fine shaves with a wide range of razors. It just takes awhile to figure out how to accomplish this with different tools. Basic understanding of razor geometry helps.

The other complication is that blades are not all the same size (some are wider), which changes the gap (unless it's a flat razor or less curved like a PILS) and the exposure. Not worth over thinking.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The razor stats don't tell the complete story, at least, I've come to that conclusion.

I found out.... the razor designers know more than I do... as do people here. I now only buy razors already tested by a group of people here I trust. When I was following my own "research", I made quite a few mistakes and had to take a hit when selling the razors that didn't make the cut for me (double entendre intended).

There are enough pioneers here that love being among the first to buy and use various razors..... I follow their lead.

I guess that makes me a settler. And it's true... I settle for things others have proven to work for them and based on our shared needs and likes along with some razors in common, I'm able to make better decisions about razors. The same approach has worked for me with brushes, soaps, etc., etc., etc.

Ha! You've completely ignored "blade feel"! Which I suspect is what you get from adding gap to exposure!

This whole thing reminds me of Congressman's response to...um...explicit adult imagery.

I may not be able to describe it, but I know it when I see it.

Top Bottom