What's new

Brazilian monotech (superspeed) head analysis - Have I found a Brazilian Red tip? PIC HEAVY

Dear friends, I’ve recently bought a T2 Brazilian monotech with some plating issues but great mechanical condition and it shaves like a dream, so smooth.

This week I’ve received another one, no date code, stamped only “3” on the right under side. That’s the first time I’ve seen this. Number only, any info on that?

Moving on, first shave with the new one today and I quickly noticed it felt more aggressive, louder feedback. Ok, weird.

Intrigued by it as it’s the same model, I spent more than 10 minutes trying to spot a difference and suddenly it was there, right in front of me.

I noticed that the beaten up T2 has a slightly different safety bar design and angle. The “3” stamped model has a more squared higher angle where the bar meets the door making the bar more recessed, therefore increasing both the gap and exposure (I’ve checked with a blade installed also).

The T2’s bar protrudes shallower from the bar, making it more forward, less gap and exposure, again, checked with a blade installed.

Brazilian Gillettes are a kind of mystery since we don’t know if the date codes matches the US ones and the head design used is unknown. 40s style? 50s? Flare? Another one?

The biggest “aha!” moment was this:

I decided to pick my RED tip from the drawer and when I put the “3” side by side with it I was surprised to see that the heads are exactly the same. Then I loaded a blade and they were an exact match regarding gap and exposure.

What?? Have I discovered a Brazilian monotech with a red tip head? Apparently yes. And I remembered instantly that they have the same shave feel.

That leaves me with another question, what is the head style on the T2? That remains a mystery.

Since I don’t have a US 50s style I would assume it could be it, but that would require another purchase that will probably happen. :c1:

Enough talk. I’ve tried my best with the pictures. Sorry but I’m not a pro.

T2 on the right. “3” on the left. Notice the angle on the safety bar’s junction where it meets the door/cap.
IMG_6243.jpeg

Again, notice how it angles down steeper (right after the door edge)
IMG_6245.jpeg

Now the milder T2.
IMG_6248.jpeg

One more
IMG_6249.jpeg

And now for the closure. The more aggressive “3” with my red tip.

Notice how similar the safety bar’s angle and design are. Same head from what I can see.

IMG_6250.jpeg

I hope this adds some more info to the great Gillette head variations discussion.

Alex.

Come on you vintage spec what’s the gap junkies, I know you’re there :cuppa::lol::lol:
The T2 looks to be identical or very similar to the early Super Speeds. The other is identical or very similar to the Red Tip which you have stated. I have a C4 Mono Tech, and I feel it shaves slightly more aggressive than my other Super Speeds. The Mono Tech, depending on what package it came in, is also called an Aristocrat. Not sure if it was gold plated or nickle though. You can check out some older posts from years ago about this razor. Folks were not sure about the date codes but I think mine is in the 50's, maybe 56 or 57. Not much help but that's it for me.

The T2 looks to be identical or very similar to the early Super Speeds. The other is identical or very similar to the Red Tip which you have stated. I have a C4 Mono Tech, and I feel it shaves slightly more aggressive than my other Super Speeds. The Mono Tech, depending on what package it came in, is also called an Aristocrat. Not sure if it was gold plated or nickle though. You can check out some older posts from years ago about this razor. Folks were not sure about the date codes but I think mine is in the 50's, maybe 56 or 57. Not much help but that's it for me.
I just pulled the trigger on a 57 and 63 super speed. Obviously the 63 is a different head but I’m guessing the 57 may be similar to the T2.

The T2 is so mild and gentle that I even thought about the possibility of being a blue tip head.

The other monotech was a complete surprise as the shave is clearly more aggressive. The bigger gap and exposure are visible also.

Like I said, these Brazilian TTOs are a mystery. They were sold until the 80s but with the 50s bigger head style.

But there were some variations within that larger head period so what was used for the monotechs throughout its life is a real puzzle.

But I love a challenge. :c1:

Gaps are measured with feeler gauge. They might have different gaps even if they look the same visually to you.
True, but shaving with the “3” and the red tip side by side, it’s like I’m using only 1 razor. They are shockingly similar.

I’m anxious to try a 57 super speed I have on the way and see how it compares.

A blue tip is also on my wishlist.

True, but shaving with the “3” and the red tip side by side, it’s like I’m using only 1 razor. They are shockingly similar.

I’m anxious to try a 57 super speed I have on the way and see how it compares.

A blue tip is also on my wishlist.

The regular 1957 will have a smaller gap. The non coloured tip US ones from 1956 until at least 1962 are all very mild.

The 1957 will have a smaller gap. The US ones from 1956 until at least 1962 are all very mild.
I’ve read some of your old posts about that. The 62 - 67(?) a little more aggressive and then they increased gap and exposure again until the final years. Did I get that right?

Also, I’ve read that there is a difference between the 48-50 head and the 50-54 although the latter is also considered a 40s style.

Some old posts here stated that the 50-54 were the most aggressive of the “bigger head” years, with pictures to show the difference.

It was interesting comparing my 48-50 head with the monotechs and red tip.

The shave is clearly different but I never took the time to look closely. They are VERY different regarding angle, gap and exposure.

The safety bar of the 48-50 bends down differently, with no sharp angles, difficult to explain in words, but it’s clearly visible.

You can see I like details :c1:

I’ve read some of your old posts about that. The 62 - 67(?) a little more aggressive and then they increased gap and exposure again until the final years. Did I get that right?

Also, I’ve read that there is a difference between the 48-50 head and the 50-54 although the latter is also considered a 40s style.

Some old posts here stated that the 50-54 were the most aggressive of the “bigger head” years, with pictures to show the difference.

It was interesting comparing my 48-50 head with the monotechs and red tip.

The shave is clearly different but I never took the time to look closely. They are VERY different regarding angle, gap and exposure.

The safety bar of the 48-50 bends down differently, with no sharp angles, difficult to explain in words, but it’s clearly visible.

You can see I like details :c1:
Actually the difference between 56-62 and 62-66 (we are talking US only) is not that big. But the black handled ones are definitely more aggressive than the 55-66. Until 1979 they have more exposure less gap, after that (diamond knurling in the 80) more gap and reduced exposure compared to the 70s. I have the gaps for both black handled versions on file at home measured by me. But I will have to get back to you, since I am at work now.

Actually the difference between 56-62 and 62-66 (we are talking US only) is not that big. But the black handled ones are definitely more aggressive than the 55-66. Until 1979 they have more exposure less gap, after that (diamond knurling in the 80) more gap and reduced exposure compared to the 70s. I have the gaps for both black handled versions on file at home measured by me. But I will have to get back to you, since I am at work now.
Do you prefer the smaller 60s head style or the previous one?

Great info on the black handle. Maybe I’ll have to add on of those in a near future.

Do you prefer the smaller 60s head style or the previous one?

Great info on the black handle. Maybe I’ll have to add on of those in a near future.
I prefer always more gap and more exposure. :ihih: So the black handled ones are preferrable to me. The flare tips from 1955 to 1966 are not exactly my thing. Nevertheless I have at least 5 of them.

Here is the info on the gaps I measured on both variations of the black handle:

0.70 on the early ones up to 1979. 0.75 on the later ones with the diamond knurling (but the exposure is reduced compared to the 70s). I have ~10 from 1967 to the mid 80s.

Thank you @ivan_101!

I haven’t made up my mind on the lower vs higher profile. I do remember liking my slim a lot the first time I used it.

Now I need a black handle. Or 2. :c1:

I prefer always more gap and more exposure. :ihih: So the black handled ones are preferrable to me. The flare tips from 1955 to 1966 are not exactly my thing. Nevertheless I have at least 5 of them.

Here is the info on the gaps I measured on both variations of the black handle:

0.70 on the early ones up to 1979. 0.75 on the later ones with the diamond knurling (but the exposure is reduced compared to the 70s). I have ~10 from 1967 to the mid 80s.
You are referring to the 1967 and up Black Handle Super Speed I believe. I have one of those but also have the Black Tip Super Speeds from the early 50's. The Black Handle I have is also a Flare tip, silver in color. Hope I read the post correctly. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom