What's new

TSA warning for razors

True stories:

But first, let me mention that I have tremendous respect for all armed forces, police, guards, etc. and anyone wearing a badge. They have important jobs that mean when they do them properly, most of the people will end up angry or dead. I also understand that TSA performs a valuable service, most of them do the best they can, and they also have my respect. My comments aren’t meant to disparage them in any way.

I personally know a person who was thrown out of college for repeatedly cheating who is now working for TSA. Makes you wonder what their vetting process is.

I know another guy. He’s nice enough, but let’s say he’s not the brightest bulb in the tree. He desperately wants to wear a badge. He’s applied to every force you can imagine, but he can never get passed the psych eval or whatever sort of mental screening they do. He refused to work for TSA and settled for being a corrections officer. Noble work.

Maybe the pool from which TSA draws from makes it very challenging to find cream of the crop employees. But, like I said, I’m not criticizing TSA in any way.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
True stories:

But first, let me mention that I have tremendous respect for all armed forces, police, guards, etc. and anyone wearing a badge. They have important jobs that mean when they do them properly, most of the people will end up angry or dead. I also understand that TSA performs a valuable service, most of them do the best they can, and they also have my respect. My comments aren’t meant to disparage them in any way.

I personally know a person who was thrown out of college for repeatedly cheating who is now working for TSA. Makes you wonder what their vetting process is.

I know another guy. He’s nice enough, but let’s say he’s not the brightest bulb in the tree. He desperately wants to wear a badge. He’s applied to every force you can imagine, but he can never get passed the psych eval or whatever sort of mental screening they do. He refused to work for TSA and settled for being a corrections officer. Noble work.

Maybe the pool from which TSA draws from makes it very challenging to find cream of the crop employees. But, like I said, I’m not criticizing TSA in any way.
Don't worry my friend. I will criticize the tsa enuff for both of us.

As to korreckshun occifers, look up what G. Gorgon Liddy said about them every chance he had....of course, he was not an unbiased source, lol.

Don't worry my friend. I will criticize the tsa enuff for both of us.

As to korreckshun occifers, look up what G. Gorgon Liddy said about them every chance he had....of course, he was not an unbiased source, lol.
My online persona is greatly filtered on family sites to avoid flames. Get some whiskey in me while at a biker bar, some more unfiltered opinions will come out.

My online persona is greatly filtered on family sites to avoid flames. Get some whiskey in me while at a biker bar, some more unfiltered opinions will come out.
My friend @Jay21, you have shown yourself to be quite generous!

For those unaware: Jay21 PIFfed a Pearl Blaze and I was the most fortunate recipient of his generosity. I am enjoying the Blaze so much that it is in tight competition for the top razor in my den. For me this is an excellent razor. thank you again!

For those unaware: Jay21 PIFfed a Pearl Blaze and I was the most fortunate recipient of his generosity. I am enjoying the Blaze so much that it is in tight competition for the top razor in my den. For me this is an excellent razor. thank you again!

You are too kind. But the real question is what would TSA do with the Blaze?

FarmerTan

@Jay21 is da man.

I just enjoy stepping on the toes of stuffed shirts! If we lived in the early 80's still, back before Elvis and the Vietnam War came along, I could tell some of those stories not fit to print. But unfortunately, the self-appointed "ALWAYS korreck folks" rule what is left of the werld, and it keeps me from finding a publisher brave enuff to print my memoirs!

Oh! Poor poor pitiful me! Like all great artists, I will be forced to wait until I'm dead to be famous doggone!

proxy.php

@Six - just curious, which soaps were they; B&M are not terribly hard soaps, hence my comment about being cautionary about glycerin content
Seville and Grand Chypre. I just went with the most popular ones since they were my first "shaving soaps". Thankfully, no one has taken my Yaqi brush at Customs. I am, obviously, very new to all of this.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Jay21 is da man.

I just enjoy stepping on the toes of stuffed shirts! If we lived in the early 80's still, back before Elvis and the Vietnam War came along, I could tell some of those stories not fit to print. But unfortunately, the self-appointed "ALWAYS korreck folks" rule what is left of the werld, and it keeps me from finding a publisher brave enuff to print my memoirs!

Oh! Poor poor pitiful me! Like all great artists, I will be forced to wait until I'm dead to be famous doggone!

In my book, you are famous Dan, a really great guy, and funny like me too lol. If I was a publisher, I'd publish every piece of literature you make, the world needs more of that tanned farmer, they don't know what they are missing doggone! And Elvis would make a poor substitute for you, your one in a million buddy. :)

FarmerTan

In my book, you are famous Dan, a really great guy, and funny like me too lol. If I was a publisher, I'd publish every piece of literature you make, the world needs more of that tanned farmer, they don't know what they are missing doggone! And Elvis would make a poor substitute for you, your one in a million buddy. :)
The Angels in Heaven rejoiced when they found out that He broke the mold.... The earth doesn't need even one of me.

I think I slipped past Quality Kontrol doggone!

I occasionally feel the resentment welling up about what seems at times to be arbitrary and inconsistent limits on personal choice.

But I want to work at my current job, see my friends and family that are far away, and travel to see the world. And, minimize the drama that I create for myself and those that cross my path. So air travel means my sensor cart and Palmolive cream.

For what it is worth, the worst experiences I have had with airport screening have been outside the US. Across hundreds of transits TSA has generally been consistent and professional while doing a difficult and thankless job.

I occasionally feel the resentment welling up about what seems at times to be arbitrary and inconsistent limits on personal choice.

But I want to work at my current job, see my friends and family that are far away, and travel to see the world. And, minimize the drama that I create for myself and those that cross my path. So air travel means my sensor cart and Palmolive cream.

For what it is worth, the worst experiences I have had with airport screening have been outside the US. Across hundreds of transits TSA has generally been consistent and professional while doing a difficult and thankless job.
Honestly, I just wish TSA would publish a list of prohibited items and stick to that list. I'm sure most people agree with that as well. When TSA agents can create their own rules as to what's permitted and what isn't, that's no longer a system of laws.

Seville and Grand Chypre. I just went with the most popular ones since they were my first "shaving soaps". Thankfully, no one has taken my Yaqi brush at Customs. I am, obviously, very new to all of this.
Maybe the TSA agents were Wolfman aficionados and disturbed that you were able to obtain such a fine facsimile at such a good price. As for the soaps maybe they were longtime MWF users, and it hurt them too much to see soap made with tallow, which they will no longer be able to enjoy as they once did.

I feel bad for them really, even though I don't use a Wolfman or tallow-based soaps.

I’m sympathetic to the original poster, especially as a guest of my country who was unaware of the risk.

However, I have no interest in litigating or escalating while traveling. I don’t want any delays myself, and certainly don’t want to delay anyone behind me. I simply don’t take anything remotely likely to cause problems.

The rules may evolve, but they aren’t new. Many years ago, my father (a civilian employee of the army with Federal ID and a high security clearance, traveling on Federal business), forgot to leave his pocket knife at home, and had it confiscated.

During a trip to Hong Kong, during the early 90’s iteration of war in the Gulfs , I had a Samsonite briefcase confiscated in Tokyo because of the magnesium frame. Magnesium burns very hot, and I learned that (at least at the time) a hollowed out spot for an igniter would not show up on X-ray. Ok, lesson learned.

I’m in no way a munitions expert, but it would be EASY to camouflage explosive material as soap.

As an electrical engineer, *I* understand which components are sensitive to static electricity, and which are not. The assembly line workers do not, so we tell them to follow precautions for EVERYthing.

With the spread of AIDS in the 80s, medical facilities changed from special precautions for Hepatitis to Universal Precautions. It simply isn’t feasible to analyze every potential threat on the fly.

Blanket precautions are a necessary evil in modern life.

Top Bottom