What's new

TSA rules?

I took an early flight out of Austin earlier today. I always travel with carry-on and use TSA pre. As usual, I put my late 50s ret tip rocket travel razor, in its leather pouch, in a small bin. This saves the agent needing to open the bag to check whether the razor has a blade installed. The agent took the razor out of the pouch and asked me if it is mine. They said that last week the TSA banned ”this kind” of razor from hand luggage whether or not a blade is installed. I’m glad say that the agent gave me the razor back and basically said don’t bring it again. No problem at O‘Hare earlier in the week. I thought I read somewhere that carry on rules were being relaxed a bit. Maybe that’s not the case.

I can’t find anything about this new rule on TSA’s website. Anyone know anything about this? I’ll take my easily replaced Schick Krona next trip just in case it does get confiscated.

See this recent thread...

If you plan to carry-on with no checked bags, it stick with either cartridge razors or an electric shaver. Even if your DE razor does not get confiscated by TSA, you are going to have a tough time finding DE razor blades at your destination. Every pharmacy used to carry DE blades, but that is no longer the case. Even if you do find a tuck of blades, you will have to discard any extra blades before you return home. You do get a better shave with a DE razor, but the hassle of traveling with a DE razor is not worth it, at least not for me. Also, if you take a shaving brush with you, it is likely to be damp when you bring it home. If I am using a brushless cream, I would rather use a cartridge razor.

You can bring a cartridge razor and shave in the shower using the shampoo and conditioner supplied by the hotel. That is what I did for the last 23 years of my career. Shortly after retirement I took up traditional wet shaving, but kepy a cartridge razor in the shower for shaving the back of my neck. More recently, that cartridge razor has been replaced by a Schick injector razor.

Thanks for the answers and links folks. I spend about as much time traveling as in a fixed address so the thought of going back to a disposible and goop for the morning ritual that is sometimes the best part of the day is disappointing. I could always check bags - it sucks, wastes time and in many places they seem to get lost. I could just grow a beard but then the TSA would probably assume that I was a terrorist and lock me up. No good solutions here!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As with all things TSA related, it takes time for information to trickle down to the drones on the front lines when a change has been made.
Sometimes the information is never accurately transmitted and you will still wind up dealing with a clueless automaton at the airport.
The only way to be sure that you don't have something confiscated is to not be in a position to have something confiscated.
It is sad, but it is reality.

Back in the 1990s I used to fly 6-8 days per month. I worked as a technical service representative in the paper industry. Thus, one of the tools I always carried on my person was a pocket knife. The blade was 1 3/4" long that complied with the security rules at the time. After 9/11 and the advent of the TSA, I could no longer carry a knife in my pocket. That meant that I had to check bags for every flight, something that was an inconvenience both for me and the airline. After 9/11, due to the added security, I found that I could drive to any destination under 500 miles in about the same time as I could drive to the airport, park the car, get to the terminal, check my bag, go through security, wait for the departure, fly to my destination, retrieve my checked bag and rent a car.

I have been retired for nearly 10 years. I have not taken a flight since I retired and I have no plans to do so unless I need to travel more than 1000 miles. I live near Chicago, so 1000 miles will get me to nearly anywhere on the East Coast and as far as Denver where my daughter lives. Only if I want to visit the West Coast or South West would I need to fly and that is not in my current plans.

A few years back when I used to travel a lot, I developed a system (which I still use sometimes). I have a tin I bought on Etsy that is made to hold a Merkur 34c and a few blades. It fits nicely into a USPS Priority Mail small Flat Rate Box. I would send it ahead to my hotel and include a return label. It would be there when I checked in, and when I checked out, I’d ask the hotel to drop it in their outgoing mail. I did not do it on every single trip, but I did on the longer ones.

Post in thread 'Carryon Travelers: How do you send ahead your shave stuff?'
Carryon Travelers: How do you send ahead your shave stuff? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/carryon-travelers-how-do-you-send-ahead-your-shave-stuff.539379/post-9536025

I took an early flight out of Austin earlier today. I always travel with carry-on and use TSA pre. As usual, I put my late 50s ret tip rocket travel razor, in its leather pouch, in a small bin. This saves the agent needing to open the bag to check whether the razor has a blade installed. The agent took the razor out of the pouch and asked me if it is mine. They said that last week the TSA banned ”this kind” of razor from hand luggage whether or not a blade is installed. I’m glad say that the agent gave me the razor back and basically said don’t bring it again. No problem at O‘Hare earlier in the week. I thought I read somewhere that carry on rules were being relaxed a bit. Maybe that’s not the case.

I can’t find anything about this new rule on TSA’s website. Anyone know anything about this? I’ll take my easily replaced Schick Krona next trip just in case it does get confiscated.

Please pm me I have a question for you.
Thank you Gary

I@blantyre please fire me a private message when you have a moment. Thank you

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve tended to pack light these days with just a carry on for trips. However if SO checks a bag I just throw a stowaway DE in there.

As with all things TSA related, it takes time for information to trickle down to the drones on the front lines when a change has been made.
Sometimes the information is never accurately transmitted and you will still wind up dealing with a clueless automaton at the airport.
The only way to be sure that you don't have something confiscated is to not be in a position to have something confiscated.
It is sad, but it is reality.

‘…sad reality..’ TSA is utterly unpredictable and not to be trusted IME!! :sob::sob::sob:

I travel a good amount, so I do add one check in back w/ a DE ( not loaded) and a few tucks on DE blades.
Next, stay away for door seats.
I just ensure anything in the check-in bag is not expansive or valuable to me.
Just in case the bag fails out any one of those boeing doors in flight, lost or stolen.
Been lucky so far.
I have forget to bring one once before.
I just purchased one over in India.

BFX
Carts / Bic Flicks... I will not do for me...
I just try to make it happen.
Shave Smart / Travel Smarter...
Plan for best / Expect the Worst...

Happy Travels and Try to have fun

maxresdefault.jpg

I checked domestic flight restrictions in Australia, open/straight razors and razor blades are prohibited for carry-on but safety razors are permitted. I don't know how DE razors without blades are interpreted but the whole security theatre in Aus seems a bit more relaxed, at least for domestic terminals.
But DE blades are not easy or cheap to find at supermarkets or pharmacies ($15 Aud for a pack of 10 Indian Wilkinson swords?)
So functionally dispoable are the way to go.
Now that I think about it I probably accidentally travelled with blades in my travel DE that I had in my carry on a few years ago.
It was a vintage four piece in a case like this and didn't get noticed, it's probably not what the average person thinks of what a razor looks like.
1710825089615.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom