What's new

TSA warning for razors

So, I am somewhat new to the community. I've been wet shaving for the last month or so with a Merkur 34C. I went to NYC recently from Canada and got an opportunity to go to Pasteur's and got myself 2 soaps and a Razorock Lupo for my birthday. I was genuinely excited as I had heard great things from here. However, TSA stopped me and confiscated it all. Thanks for that TSA!

Apparently, you cannot bring on razors that are in a box even with a carry on. I am saddened as this was pretty much the only things I bought from my trip.

Warning I guess?

I had read about the soaps but this is insane. What am I gonna do with a razor without any blades? Smack someone on the head with it?

Most TSA Agents do not Rules in stone.

So they took Rmpty Razor & Soap?

Did you say May I see Supervisor.

Recall incident were Joe Foss almost had his MOH confiscated because TSA Agent thought it was weapon.

So, I am somewhat new to the community. I've been wet shaving for the last month or so with a Merkur 34C. I went to NYC recently from Canada and got an opportunity to go to Pasteur's and got myself 2 soaps and a Razorock Lupo for my birthday. I was genuinely excited as I had heard great things from here. However, TSA stopped me and confiscated it all. Thanks for that TSA!

Apparently, you cannot bring on razors that are in a box even with a carry on. I am saddened as this was pretty much the only things I bought from my trip.

Warning I guess?
They confiscated the soap as well? They thought you’d hijack the plane by rubbing soap in the pilot’s eyes?

I had read about the soaps but this is insane. What am I gonna do with a razor without any blades? Smack someone on the head with it?
I know this will sound like a stretch, but, to those who are not wet shavers, gripping the handle and head of the razor in a particular way resembles a kubotan, a hand-held weapon used in pressure point and soft target attacks.

So maybe they're thinking that you might smack someone with it.

They confiscated the soap as well? They thought you’d hijack the plane by rubbing soap in the pilot’s eyes?
I was a bit upset to be fair, and I still am, lost a lot of money on this. I was calm at first and tried to reason with them that it's closed and unopened, no blades etc. They weren't having it, another agent came as well, he seemed like he was the manager, I explained again and they both pretty much shrugged me off and told me to move along which was even more infuriating. Stupidly had the soaps and the razor in the same bag. So, they asked about them and I said it's "hard soap" and you know how the rest went.

I wonder if the razor is disassembled with its various pieces placed in different parts of the carry on, that it would not resemble anything of interest to the uninformed eyes of the agents?

The soap issue is mind boggling, not sure what dangers it presents.

According to the TSA rules, you can take the DE razor in the bag (carry-on), but you cannot have any blades. If the blades were by themselves, they’d take the blades.

Safety Razors: Because the razor blades are so easy to remove, safety razors are not permitted in your carry-on luggage with the blade. They’re fine to pack in your carry-on without the blade. The blades must be stored in your checked luggage. The same applies for straight razors.”

link was in the post referenced in post #2

According to the TSA rules, you can take the DE razor in the bag (carry-on), but you cannot have any blades. If the blades were by themselves, they’d take the blades.

Safety Razors: Because the razor blades are so easy to remove, safety razors are not permitted in your carry-on luggage with the blade. They’re fine to pack in your carry-on without the blade. The blades must be stored in your checked luggage. The same applies for straight razors.”

link was in the post referenced in post #2
So I just traveled a few weeks ago. I took my Van Der Hagen TTO safety razor in my carry-on and packed a tuck of Derby Extra blades in my checked bag.
They opened up my carry-on and STILL made me explain the razor even though I knew it was within the rules and there were no blades in it.
Don't get me started ...🙄

Think a lot of TSA Agents would rater confiscate, then make the effort to check if something is on BANNED LIST.

Sort of like a BAD Cop who make unnecessary arrests for nonsense, that most of time the DA, or City Attorney throws out because arrest was dumb.

I honestly do not see much difference between TSA Gate Agents, and former Rent-A-Cop gate agents who were just like parsley on a plate pretending to be security.

I was calm at first and tried to reason with them that it's closed and unopened, no blades etc. They weren't having it, another agent came as well, he seemed like he was the manager, I explained again and they both pretty much shrugged me off and told me to move along which was even more infuriating. Stupidly had the soaps and the razor in the same bag. So, they asked about them and I said it's "hard soap" and you know how the rest went.
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the good that can come from it is a warning to others not to try to reason with TSA agents. (Sad, but reality is reality.)

I’m betting the soap had Glycerine in it. If you put Nitro in front of Glycerine you get Nitroglycerine, which is a highly unstable explosive. The TSA agents were just trying to keep the plane from exploding.
So they are doing god’s work basically. We should thank them. 😉

I generally travel via air with my wife and she ALWAYS checks a bag. Since I have to wait anyways, my Dopp bag goes in checked luggage. Many TSA agents ARE likely incompetent and they err on the side of caution (or just on things they want to keep for themselves). Not worth the headache IME. I even bring $0.25 BIC metal single blade disposables when I travel now.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am very sorry to hear this!
The agents were also pretty bad, they could easily have let you through.

We all know the history of the TSA, introduced after 9/11 in 2001. It must be reigned in, it has become some kind of terror as well.

My identification card is about to be renewed. This time they need 10 fingerprints. And the EU wants to save the children and monitor everyone online as potential abuser.

This reminds me of "trading freedom for 'protection'" debates and this quote came to my mind:

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”​

― Benjamin Franklin

People shouldn't lose razors or other items due to the whims of TSA officers so easily.

Top Bottom