What's new

Trying the multiblades again.

After 3 whole years of non multi-blade wetshaving, I decided to give my old sensor and mach3 a shot again, 5 shaves apiece, and the results are very interesting. I have been devoting every third shave to the multiblades whilst the two others were straight razor shaves. I have however not been using canned gel or foam because I wanted to see if good old fashioned lather would make a difference and in my opinion it does.

First off, I remember from my multiblade days that clogging of the spaces between the blades with shaving debris and goop-residue was an issue, in fact when the mach3 came out, my shaves improved significantly because it was simpler to wash out the residue from the mach3 than the sensor. When you use a shave cream or soap and a brush this is not an issue because the lather and shaving debris rinses away effortlessly.

Shave-quality-wise I was quite surprised to come to the conclusion that both the sensor and the mach3 give a very decent shave when you do a three pass WTG, XTG and ATG routine but in my opinion the sensor is the better of the two: it does not seem to drag as much as the mach3 (go figure it has one blade less) and overall it gave a better shave. There are some spots on my face that the mach3 never gets properly: along the jawbone, at the corner of my mouth and the neck. One the whole however, I felt well shaven with both the sensor and the mach3 and they obviously have the advantage that you do not have to think about what you are doing and you can shave at record speed, albeit in total boredom. I did however notice that my face did not seem as soft as after a straight shave and regrowth seemed quicker especially so after mach3. I had no issues with blade life and I could quite easily have got a further few shaves out of each cartridge.

To sum up, first of all I would say that whereas the sensor and mach3 are capable of giving you a good shave, my distinct impression is that it will not be as thorough as that provided by a straight, SE or DE (which I find pretty much equal in closeness, obviously YMMV applies). Second and most importantly, using lather made from a brush makes all the difference.

Nice honest review.

Sometimes I think I did so poorly with carts all those years simply cuz I didn't map my face. That was a revelation twenty years in the making. Flipping from cheap disposables and can to first DE and brush and now straights, I bet I could wield a cart much better. No cart-hating from here, if that works for you, I just have too much fun and results from a straight shave. But yep, I'd say mapping face and using brush/soap were fundamental improvements, and shave tool (for me!!) was next...not distantly, but still, third place of the three.

Technique trumps hardware!!

I use a Trac II razor frequently, and get wonderful shaves from it; with a whole lot less fuss than a DE razor.

The DE razor is not the end all, be all of shaving it is typically portrayed to be.

As soon as they sell a 10 pack of carts for a dollar, or 100 carts for 10$ I might try them again.
Its not that they were bad, just overpriced.

I use a Trac II razor frequently, and get wonderful shaves from it; with a whole lot less fuss than a DE razor.

The DE razor is not the end all, be all of shaving it is typically portrayed to be.

I've only been doing this a few months, but I can shave with a DE as fast as I can with a cart at this point. I can do a shave that comes out as good as my single pass cartridge shave in 1 pass plus a few touch-ups (under nose and chin) and be done. The most time consuming part is whipping up a lather, which is getting faster as I am starting to face lather. I would say the difference in time spent for me is now under 3 minutes. I can find 3 minutes in my morning for a good shave.

Also I agree, my face feels better after a DE shave compared to a fusion. Both face feel, and the way the stubble feels when I run my hand over it.

Cartridges were so expensive and clogged so badly that I switched to single edge disposables even before trying DEs. It's interesting to know that using real shaving soap/cream makes a big difference in clogging. I've got too much of a case of RAD to switch back, that's for sure, although it could always add a nice handled Trac II, Atra, or Sensor along with the rest of my collection.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I too, get great shaves from a Trac II.

The Trac II provides nice shaves and I find the Wilkinson Sword carts the best available. However, I think I get the best cartridge shave from the Sensor. I agree with Gustav, the Mach III does provide a decent shave, but the Sensor is better.

I still get the best overall shaves with my Progress.

Where I live there are only two brands: the much hated (at least for me) Gillete and Shic (which I've never tried).
The cloging of blades and their overpriced cost caused me to switch to DE blades about a year ago. From that point onward I've never looked back.

As soon as they sell a 10 pack of carts for a dollar, or 100 carts for 10$ I might try them again.
Its not that they were bad, just overpriced.

That about sums it up for me! I think I will keep the sensor in my rotation for trips with carry on luggage, and I might even try the trac II.

I could easily afford the fusion cartridges but the value for money ratio is just so poor that I would feel ripped off in comparison to the DE and SE blades, especially when considering that the shave I get from multiblades are just not as good as those I get from DEs, SEs and straights. In three years of non multiblade wet shaving, I have spent more than I would have on three years worth of fusion cartridges but at least I have a nice collection of soaps, brushes, razors and other hardware to show for it, all carefully selected to fit my individual taste.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I usually try to steer clear of "back to the cartridge" threads, but this was a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i don't remember ever getting a bad shave from a cartridge, the clogging, and price of the cartridges was a major pain. but the shave itself was usually pretty good. DE shaving is just more enjoyable and i never would have found all the great soaps, creams, and AS that i now love if still shaving with a cartridge.

Michiganlover essentially echoed my sentiments - I went from Fusion and canned goo , to a Slim and whipped lather , to my current method of Slim & canned goo ( Nivea sensitive) with a Fusion polish at the end - I find that thining out the goo with a little water gives me good results - but basically I think there's a place in the shaving process for both DE and cartridge - it's whatever works .

I do wish the canned goo was warm though :wink2:

Last edited:
Great post. Although I am a true neophyte to the world of straight-razor / wet-shaving, I definitely see a difference in my skin since having made the switch. It not only feels softer, but the tone around my Adam's Apple has begun to even up. Even before acting on my desire to shave with a straight, I'd often thought it odd that they note that "more blades equals less irritation"; in my mind, if you make three passes with a five-bladed razor, it's akin to making fifteen passes with a proper edge...with twelve of those passes taking place with diminishing degrees of lather. This really just cements the idea.

Using proper DE preparation and technique, I can get just as good a shave from a Trac II as I can from any DE razor/blade combination that I have used.

Price and plastic, is what keeps me from using cartridges again. Oh, and the insanity of 5blades and battery operated razors.
Bring the cost of shave to 3cents for cartridges, stop using plastic and I will switch back to using them again.
OK, maybe 3cents is a stretch, make it 5.

They do shave well, but no better than my 3cents/shave blade.

I will never use the canned goo. If anything, I would consider brushless creams or shaving oil, to further reduce cost. I enjoy making lather with brushes, creams and soaps.

I still have my original Gillette sensor I got in the early 90s, and a stash of cartridges. Kept them just in case.

Shave-quality-wise I was quite surprised to come to the conclusion that both the sensor and the mach3 give a very decent shave when you do a three pass WTG, XTG and ATG routine but in my opinion the sensor is the better of the two: it does not seem to drag as much as the mach3 (go figure it has one blade less) and overall it gave a better shave.
I went through a couple of months back in the spring when I was using carts. My experience was much the same. I could get a good shave using the improved technique I learned from my DE. Two blades drag less than three which allowed me to do what needed done to get a better shave.
To sum up, first of all I would say that whereas the sensor and mach3 are capable of giving you a good shave, my distinct impression is that it will not be as thorough as that provided by a straight, SE or DE (which I find pretty much equal in closeness, obviously YMMV applies). Second and most importantly, using lather made from a brush makes all the difference.
Yea, I could easily get DFS with the carts but couldn't really get to BBS like I can with a DE.

I recently received the challenge of doing a two pass shave in two minutes. I could do it with soap and a brush but not with my preferred canned goo or the favorite goo of my friend. Pushing a button made for faster lather preparation, but the stuff was all cushion and no slickness so it actually slowed down how fast I could shave.

i don't remember ever getting a bad shave from a cartridge, the clogging, and price of the cartridges was a major pain. but the shave itself was usually pretty good. DE shaving is just more enjoyable and i never would have found all the great soaps, creams, and AS that i now love if still shaving with a cartridge.
+1. I used Gillette's for years and they gave me great shaves, but I just got tired of forking out 40 bucks for 8 Fusion blades (that was the price 4 years ago). I just placed an order for 100 Feather blades today for 37 bucks.

1 Schick Hydro-Magic razor + 12 blades of P74 blades = 1 year of shaves. Total cost..$15
Of coarse I didn't know this before cart life. Grr.
Anyhow, nice write up op, I enjoyed the read.

Top Bottom