What's new

Considering to move away from DE razors. Looking for advice.

I have been shaving with a DE safety razor since at least some time before 2010, so for about 14 years. For me, the 'fun' and hobby aspect of shaving has always been the brushes and the soaps, not the razors. For this reason I have always been content with cheap razors such as my current go-to, a Wilkinson TTO.

Some time ago I went on a trip and packed my old Mach3. Over the course of five days or so, I got some amazing shaves. Shaves that were even better than with a DE (especially on the neck). Because of this and my low interest in DE's as explained, I am now considering to move away from DE's altogether. Perhaps I pick up a cartridge razor, or even a disposable.

My question is if any of you guys have ever moved away from DE's to something else. If so, why? And which alternative did you choose?

I joined B&B in 2009 and have since amassed a large collection of single and double edge razors and enjoy using them. I also enjoy using the Wilkinson Bonded, Trac II, Atra, Sensor and Mach 3 razors. I use a cartridge razor roughly 50% of the time. The Mach 3 is a fantastic razor that I always get great shaves with. Use whatever works for you, after all it’s just shaving and it really doesn’t matter what razor you use as long you’re getting the desired results.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If cartridges work for you and you're happy with them, then that's all that really matters. I haven't used a cartridge in some time now, but I have thought about seeing how they work with proper soap and technique. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I did that a month or so ago. I put a new cartridge on my Fusion Power, used Edge gel and had an OK shave. The thing is, I always had okay shaves with it before, just not stellar and enjoyable ones. I’ll be continuing with DE and AC razors and I just started learning how to use an AC barber razor.

My question is if any of you guys have ever moved away from DE's to something else. If so, why? And which alternative did you choose?

I moved to straights, for obvious reasons...

vinyl.png

So when I was a teenager and started shaving, I'm not sure what I used but whatever it was irritated my face to the point that I hated shaving. I switched to an electric razor sometime in college to get away from the burn and used that up until I was about 30. Then I tried a cartridge razor. I don't remember why, but I was amazed. It didn't hurt! That was 30 years ago and I've been using cartridge razors since. I am new to B&B and have just tried soap & brush shaving as that is the part that seems enjoyable to be. I don't find the DE razor aspect of wet shaving appealing. I've never tried one and don't plan to at this point... because I like the cartridge razors. They work well and aren't irritating to my face. The same could be said for canned shaving cream, but the soap & brush is appealing / enjoyable to me.

F

firebox

I moved away from DE's. I now have about twenty or so straights in the drawer. They are all sharp. They don't create any landfill issues. I don't need new blades or cartridges. My oldest straight is late 1700's. It is still a great shaver. No new carbon footprint on my blades! A touch up here and there ever several months or so keeps mine 'shave ready'. When you have to pick up a tag to have an employee get your cartridges, It says more than you know.

Here's something to think about. If you have a cartridge with three blades, the ad tells you how effective three blades can be. When you make three passes with a properly honed straight, that argument goes down the tubes. I think one pass with a good straight is competitive. Two passes probably or equal or better.

Buy once and done!

Schick injector provides the best shaves possible IMHO. I don’t think anyone ever said that carts don’t provide great shaves; the expense is the problem. My DE shaves cost 3 cents each. If I went to 4 or 5 shaves per blade it could cost as little as 2.5 or 2 cents per shave. And it’s almost always BBS. No cart can do that.

Carts can work fine. Millions of people use them every day, a few will even get comfortable and enjoyable shaves. I haven't used a cart in over two years, and that was only due to travelling with only a carry on.

I would suggest the skills gained using DE will improve your shaves with a cart. If soaps and brushes are your thing, go ahead and use them with your blade of choice; a straight, DE/SE, cart, or sharpened clam shell.

I used to shave daily with DE, but moved to straights for most of my shaves. Last year I used two DE blades. I go back to DE probably one shave a month to keep my hand in.

Top Bottom