What's new

Considering to move away from DE razors. Looking for advice.

Straight razors. I had one for a few months back in 2008 or so, a Thiers-Issard I believe. Sold it for reasons I can't really recall 😕 Do you find the upkeep easy? I can sharpen a pocket knife but a straight requires an even more refined edge.
There is a difference between sharpening a knife and honing a razor. Essentially with both you are removing steel to create an apex, however, you are correct that a razor requires a more refined edge.

Stropping is a skill that must be learned as it does help with maintaining the edge.

Learning to hone is a definite advantage when using straights. You don't have to spend a small (or large) fortune on various rocks if you don't want to. There are a few threads on the forum about using lapping film which can give a decent edge. I still use lapping film to hone my razors and have no complaints. The set up for this method can be inexpensive.

Once you have become adept at stropping and honing, the upkeep of straight razors is easy. Although if you are so inclined, there are numerous rabbit holes to explore from restoring, rescaling, reprofiling etc.

On the few occassions that I have used a cartridge in the past 15 years, I am reminded of why I switched from carts in the first place. Ghastly, face wrecking things.

I much prefer the precision offered by single blade razors, whether that's DE, GEM or AC. I am starting to think that the thicker blades of GEM and AC are actually better for me and intend to start using them more, but the big advantage of a DE is that I can have a fresh edge for every shave if I want and it's still not too expensive.

But with all that said, if cartridges actually worked for me I would probably still be using them. If they work for you and you are enjoying the shaves then that's all that matters really!

I have been shaving with a DE safety razor since at least some time before 2010, so for about 14 years. For me, the 'fun' and hobby aspect of shaving has always been the brushes and the soaps, not the razors. For this reason I have always been content with cheap razors such as my current go-to, a Wilkinson TTO.

Some time ago I went on a trip and packed my old Mach3. Over the course of five days or so, I got some amazing shaves. Shaves that were even better than with a DE (especially on the neck). Because of this and my low interest in DE's as explained, I am now considering to move away from DE's altogether. Perhaps I pick up a cartridge razor, or even a disposable.

My question is if any of you guys have ever moved away from DE's to something else. If so, why? And which alternative did you choose?
Like you lather creation and use is the favorite part of my shaves.

Back in my college days I used a Gillette Super Adjustable DE and moved to a Norelco rotary that was a gift from my soon to be wife after around 5 years. Came back to DE 4+ years ago. Takeaway from this is you should do whatever works best for you.

Note that that your Wilkenson TTO may be a rebranded Weishi. I use a Weishi 9306 Long Handle and get great shaves from it. While you likely have a great technique after 14 years of DE shaving my one suggestion would be to scroll through some of the posts here at B&B to see if there are enhancements that could further improve your shaves. Finally decide if there is a sharper or smoother blade that would help.

The only other consideration is that the Mach 3 cartridges will cost more than DE blades.

Legion

Staff member
Straight razors. I had one for a few months back in 2008 or so, a Thiers-Issard I believe. Sold it for reasons I can't really recall 😕 Do you find the upkeep easy? I can sharpen a pocket knife but a straight requires an even more refined edge.
A more refined edge just means finer stones and a lighter touch. In some ways a SR is easier because you don't need to freehand hold the correct bevel angle.

I kind of worked the other way around. I shaved with carts exclusively for decades, started with Mach 3, Fusion, Fusion Glide, and finally Labs. But a couple of years ago I was fed up with the irritation and red faces I got after each shave. That wasn't so much from the carts but more from the shaving foam and gels. Even Aveeno Shave Gel gave me irritation.

I then decided one day to be done with foams and gels and get myself shaving soap and a brush. I continued to shave with carts but lathered shaving soap instead of foam or gels. That did work for me and I wasn't really going to transition to DE razors; the whole proposition seemed to be daunting at the least, terrifying at the most.

Then after a few months shaving with my newly bought Gillette Labs cart, I just wasn't happy with the results anymore. That's when I made the decision to try a DE razor, taking it easy with a mild Mühle R89. Over time I did get better shaves and surprisingly I didn't cut myself that often as I would have expected for a beginner.

I keep the Lab around for air travel if needed. Apart from that it just keeps collecting dust.

A good compromise between carts and DE razors seems to be the Leaf razors or the one from Shavent. Both are multi-blade DE razors with pivoting heads. I haven't tried them, but they could be a good alternative to carts. As a bonus all the DE blades now tucked away, can still be used.

Thanks for all recommendations and advice! For now I'll stick to my DE but keep an eye open for options.

A Feather AC is a serious option. If so, important to me are the long term availability and easy access to blades. So I'll have to look into that.

Another route would be to go for a real straight but I doubt if the upkeep is something I want to deal with long term. I'll have to figure that out.

Carts are now lower on the list for the obvious reason of the unnecessary waste they create.

As for vintage or 2nd hand razors like a GEM, I love the idea, but that's not for me. I can't see myself using something that was used by another guy decades ago. Again, that's just me.

Thanks for all recommendations and advice! For now I'll stick to my DE but keep an eye open for options.

A Feather AC is a serious option. If so, important to me are the long term availability and easy access to blades. So I'll have to look into that.

Another route would be to go for a real straight but I doubt if the upkeep is something I want to deal with long term. I'll have to figure that out.

Carts are now lower on the list for the obvious reason of the unnecessary waste they create.

As for vintage or 2nd hand razors like a GEM, I love the idea, but that's not for me. I can't see myself using something that was used by another guy decades ago. Again, that's just me.
No problem to source current production Injectors, Gem or AC razors if you want to try another blade format.

My current minimum criteria are: a fixed head, no more than 2 blades and no Lubra strip.

Aside from DE‘s that leaves enough room for variety and travel situations.

I like the Indian PII/Trac2 and I’m somewhat intrigued by the Maxwell June for a „roll your own“ approach.

The aluminum Razorock Eco uses a half DE blade in a Gem like geometry (shallow, ride the cap) so you wouldn’t even have to switch to a new blade format.

4FFFC2D8-19B2-4A69-ABCE-5A35A09C630D.jpeg

8D843499-239F-43FD-A072-3C5C07A4941F.jpeg

F

firebox

There is a difference between sharpening a knife and honing a razor. Essentially with both you are removing steel to create an apex, however, you are correct that a razor requires a more refined edge.

Stropping is a skill that must be learned as it does help with maintaining the edge.

Learning to hone is a definite advantage when using straights. You don't have to spend a small (or large) fortune on various rocks if you don't want to. There are a few threads on the forum about using lapping film which can give a decent edge. I still use lapping film to hone my razors and have no complaints. The set up for this method can be inexpensive.

Once you have become adept at stropping and honing, the upkeep of straight razors is easy. Although if you are so inclined, there are numerous rabbit holes to explore from restoring, rescaling, reprofiling etc.

You are so right. The edges on razors and knives require a different technique. Razors lay flat on the stone. Knives between 35-45 degree angles. Muscle memory makes switching one to the other challenging. Stropping is much easier, tighten the strop and lay about twenty or so passes to remove the microscopic oxidation and you're good to go. Never tried the films, but whatever gives a good shaving edge is where you want to be. Cheers.... move forward.

You are so right. The edges on razors and knives require a different technique. Razors lay flat on the stone. Knives between 35-45 degree angles. Muscle memory makes switching one to the other challenging. Stropping is much easier, tighten the strop and lay about twenty or so passes to remove the microscopic oxidation and you're good to go. Never tried the films, but whatever gives a good shaving edge is where you want to be. Cheers.... move forward.
You're correct. My post was long enough and there are multiple honing and stropping threads. But I agree with whatever gives you a good edge is where you want to be.

I totally get that. For the first ten or so years of traditional wet shaving, I only wanted to by new razors. I didn't like the thought of used razors as they could have who knows what on them. (I still feel that way about shaving brushes and tubs of shaving soap/cream).

Then I inherited some DE and GEM razors from family members. I didn't want to throw them out for sentimental reasons, so they sat unused for a year or so in my den. Then I considered that the razor is only a blade holder, no used blades in play. So I gave the used razors a bath in alcohol to kill bad things and started using them. Many of the razors I use/want are no longer in production, so used (or 'New Old Stock' if you can find it) is the only way to go.

I totally respect you feelings since I have been there.

Use what works!

I signed up here in around 2010 and used a DE for a fair number of years. Multi blade carts were causing major irritation and DE razors were a big improvement. I also dabbled with Trac II/GII which were decent but still caused slight problems.

But in the last 5 or so years I have discovered the Gillette Guard, the Twig, BiC Metal and vintage Schick injectors. All give me a better shave in less time than a DE. Cost is slightly higher but not enough to cause issues. The key thing for me is to use a SINGLE edge blade. Just works for me. I will never try straight razors, but likewise will never go back to multi blade carts.

My question is if any of you guys have ever moved away from DE's to something else. If so, why? And which alternative did you choose?

No; Gillette price gouging was the primary reason that years ago I moved away from cartridge razors, curiosity the second.
And then I found that I quite like the ritual of a morning shave, which helps me to “warm up” for (contemplate) the coming day.

Straight and safety razors are the bedrock of my shave, but just like you I get part of the enjoyment from quality shaving soaps, creams, and brushes.

Only occasionally have I ventured away and tried (free) cartridge razors and an electric razor. The former because they were part of convenience kits handed out on long distance flights, the latter because I wanted to see how much electric razors have improved in the last 50 years. (They have, but electrics are no match for a cartridge, safety, let alone straight razor because there is always a foil between the skin and the cutting action.)

I also believe that part of the poor quality of cartridge razors is due to the lack of preparation and the inferiority of shaving foams/gels. From most cartridge razors (typically Mach 3 style) that I used in the last few years I got reasonably good shaves, not quite on the level of safety razor shaves, which in my den all have positive blade exposure, but better than I remembered from years ago and better than “the average (no prep, cheapo shaving foam) Joe” I am willing to bet.

I even go as far as to say that if someone applies the preparation, technique and soaps/creams from traditional wet shaving to a cartridge razor shave the results can come pretty close. But for me, it would take part of the enjoyment away.

B,

@J0824 I know you've decided to persevere for now, but I'll add a little more in case you'd reconsider again later.

I'm surprised pivoting head razors that take half-DE blades weren't mentioned (or I missed it).
The Leaf, Proof razor, Shavent and Focus R48 are worth considering. The Focus R48 has the smallest, most nimble head of them.

I had shaved with an electric before switching to DEs and only tried the Mach 3 briefly before the switch.
A few months ago I was on something of a cart bender. Both out of curiosity and because I wanted to shave the back of my neck without risking nicking the moles I have there.
The carts all did the job, some better, some worse, but on the face, they generally felt a little rough, like I was trying to gently velcro hair off my face.
The pivoting head half-DE blade razors I have (Leaf, Focus R48, Highproof and Broman) felt a little better and were easier to clean up, though.

I think there's something to be said for razors with a built-in angle guide. At this point, there are quite a few, and I came to prefer them over carts, at least for quick face shaves. Some of them beat or at least rival carts on the back of my neck, too.
Henson Al13, Winning Razor (v1), PAA META-4 and Ascension, Stando Morana, Stando Weles 2.0, Everyday Shaving Stinger, The Razor Company's steel and aluminium razors, Yaqi Tile, Yaqi Ghost (stainless steel), dscosmetic MARS, Supply Provision injector, PAA Starling v2, and some that I'd forgotten (or not listed, like vintage GEMs) are all as easy to shave with as carts to me now on the face, but they feel smoother, are less prone to clogging and are easy to maintain.

Just a few more options to explore if you were after easy shaves. :)

Top Bottom