What's new

Tried the famed slant-just do not get it!

During 2012, in between my straight shaves I devoted every third shave to a non regular straight implement and thus tried a shavette type straight, an open comb DE, redid some shaves with sensor, Mach3 and tried the Schick 3 bladed hydro and finally I tried the famed slant in the form of a Merkur 39c. I was expecting something which would put my straights to shame but it was unfortunately mostly a disappointment. I tried various blades, blade angles and various software but I could never get rid of the feeling that the blade is mostly just scraping my face in a most uncomfortable way.

So, if you are thinking of getting a slant, get one off the BST or somewhere else where you can try it for a bargain price instead of forking out a premium for it!

Wooooah! Pull the reins cowboy!

True statement that nothing will give you the same shave as a straight. Not arguing that point, at ALL!

But: A slant razor (i.e. the 39C that I use regularly) is a fantastic razor that will give you a very efficient shave! It is not designed to replace your straight. It is designed to cut those whiskers at a blade angle that can't be achieved with a normal DE and incorporates a safety bar that your straight doesn't have. It is a very nice medium ground between normal DE and straight (for those experienced users that use their straight with a slight slicing motion) without the same likelihood of requiring stitches on the first attempt. Also, your straight and your slant require quite different techniques and angles. I shave regularly with a slant and find it VERY comfortable. They are very different implements, when perfected, they perform perfectly.

You know, Archer, I don't think any of us could have said that better ourselves.

C'mon guys, thread's over, let's all go home.

Many people will get a different experience using the same tools.

As always, take the recommendations you here on B&B as only what one individual has experienced.

You have to combine any recommendations with what others have said and make up your own mind.

My experiences with the slant head have been good and I own both Merkur models (37c and 39c) but I seem to be able to get a perfect shave no matter what tool I use so in a way I am one of the WORST people to listen to on B&B :lol:

The only adjustment I felt I needed to make with my 37c compared to a standard DE razor was with the sideways strokes above and below my mouth around my lips. I still have not had the time with it to master that, but otherwise, my slant seemed very intuitive. Even with ATG passes. I have had a very good experience with the slant from the very beginning.

Ben

I don't change anything in the technique I use my 37C in comparison with 34C. The slant doesn't give me closer shaves than most my other razors. What it does though is it's smooth and easy on my skin, more so than any other razors. I believe it's a perfect razor for sensitive skin (like mine), and for those with facial hair that grows horizontaly or/and in patches in different directions.

The 37c is my go-to if I have more than a day's worth of stubble. Hell, I should probably use it everday because it works so well for me. It's definitely a different beast than any other DE, and I would categorize it as more efficient than aggressive.

Erik have you tried the slant with a variety of blades? With a feather blade it just falls through my old grey beard.

I tried to like my 37C but ultimately ended up selling it. It just did not work out. I guess I was expecting some sort of shaving nirvana using it and it just did not happen. Oh well; you live and learn.

My 37C is likely the one razor I would choose to keep if I (shudder) had to get rid of all my others. Everything Archer said above echoes my own feelings on it. Connaught Shaving sells them for a very reasonable price. If it doesn't work out for anyone the slants are exceedingly easy to sell on the Buy/sell.

I got 39 C due to hype. A basic razor, disappointing quality and finish. OK shave, but nothing you couldn't achieve via shaving technique.

All in all, the appearance of Merkur products is disappointing enough to keep me away.

One thing I like about a slant is that almost any blade works well and great blades work fantastic.
I don't much like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black in my Toggle but they are magic in the slant.

No, I won't be trying Derby blades in there. That may be the only exception!

I shave with straights but when I use a DE the slant is one of only a few DE's that give me a really good shave. It might be that when using a new razor for only one of a few times you don't have the technique for optimum results yet?

I didn't mind the 39C at all. It was a nice, comfortable shave but I could never get as close as I do with my Progress XL. No matter what I tried with the slant, I could never get that super close BBS. I could have easily kept it but since I don't really have an interest in razor rotations, I decided to stick with my Progress and sell the slant.

Top Bottom