be well all.

camo

Last edited:
CB2DC739-83E8-41AB-8918-D856062CB040.jpeg

Torrey Tuesday!
Torrey “the Celebrated” 5/8 round point hollow
Simpson’s Wee Scot
A&E Asian Pear

One pass face-lather today. So something I am learning about razor points. The danger for me is not round point vs square point. This Torrey has a round point but it also has a zero radius corner at the toe end of the edge. Add in the fact that the edge is perfectly straight and the result is that the toe nearly bit into my cheek twice before finally drawing blood on my neck. Most of my recent shaves have been with razors that either have a smile or a nice radius at the toe - or both.

Still working on this Torrey, perhaps some day I will get two satisfying shaves without revisiting the finish hone.
C16CFDB3-0DA0-46B8-9DA9-103688F8FB9E.jpeg

I like every bleeping thing about this razor, other than its desire for frequent refreshing spa days with its favorite finisher. I know some love their hones so well that they finish as often as I strop. I'm not that guy.

J.R. Torrey Co.
Long Rifle Soap Co. Hivernant
Yaqi 24mm Cashmere Dandelion
Tony Miller Horween Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
Thayers
Pinaud Clubman
20210427_055008.jpg

frosty cold rosemary mint this morn.

be well all.

camo

Still attempting to decode the Torrey's edge. Today, 50 very light honing laps on the surgical black ark with oil, clean up and direct to the Tony Miller linen/roughout horsehide strop.

Smooth and comfortable, but not quite up to my sharp standard. I grabbed the Lupo DC/Kai DE combo to touch up from a decent CCS to DFS+. Williams Mug and a Zenith did both prep and final lathers.
B72B7345-7612-4D7B-AC9E-AFD31FCD4474.jpeg

I certainly don't want to head to an oilstone before each shave with this razor. Thinking of going back to the bevel setter and a full synthetic progression. If that doesn't give me an edge that holds with basic 200k diamond/balsa attention, I may use this razor to experiment with using lather for a pre-shave touch up on my various barber hones.

Shave and learn. Slowly, in this case.

Torrey 6/8
Pacific Shaving Cream
Semogue 1250

The Torrey got a treat - My recently purchased Kanayama 30000 arrived on Saturday and the pass-around Tony Miller Roughout arrived on Monday. The Torrey got 20 laps on each and turned in its best recent performance.

2D6D6CB2-FB99-4DDD-812B-21FB3BA21E49.jpeg

Yesterday's $12 acquisition makes its TT debut.

J.R. TORREY RAZOR CO., WORCESTER, MASS
Barber's notch, a fair amount of hone wear
21CEBF1A-1DA4-43AC-BD92-5FDFB9413194.jpeg

I gave it a large number of laps on the DMT 4k and 8k diamond plates to get past a rough edge. Then 3/6/8/10k Pride Abrasives hones to get the desired edge, 12k Naniwa S2 for finish honing. Stropped 60 each on 50k, 100k, and 200k diamond pasted balsa. And got it all done before making dinner!

A rough pass 1 reminded me to strop with Tony Miller's linen and leather. Then rest of the shave was fine, though the original owners extra attention to the toe means that I am unlikely to trouble with honing that mini-smile into a usable edge.

Top Bottom