Torrey Tuesday

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The J.R. Torrey Razor Co.
89AA443F-F6A3-4F4B-94DF-74C4D6CB4AD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Torrey Tuesday or bust!
E1E03F42-EFC2-46A9-A52C-3153962BDDF1.jpeg

The fancy scales have not helped the righthand Torrey into my rotation drawer. I had the plain jane $12 Torrey staged in backup as I tried once again to get fancypants to shave me twice in a row without visiting the hones.

And it made it! It won't be the sharpest razor in the drawer, but it will be in the shaving drawer, not the 'needs attention' queue. I'll give it a Peanuts B- grade.

First use of the black badger knot I set in my coal black Ever-Ready 759A handle yesterday. Needs a bit of breaking in, but the Mogno face lather was 'acceptable'. I did a lot of prep, so I think fancypants got a fair test.

Well I ordered 3 Torrey razors from flea bay months ago for about the price of one decent shape sheffield blade (less than 30 bucks shipped). Since then I’ve ruined one on a belt grinder (about the only bevel set option to straighten the frown out without spending 40+ hours trying to hone it). Another one I also put on the belt grinder but I don’t think I ruined it. Been merrily honing on it off and on for 15 minutes at a time for a month or more now (Honestly only sat down for like 3 honing sessions and all got cut short).

The last one had a smile, but a weird shaped smile. Bevel set has been a nightmare. I’ve probably spent a solid 3 hours on this razor and I simply haven’t produced any edge within a half inch of the heel. Half the time spent has been with a 150 grit bench hone not typically used with razors... It’s the stone I use to bevel set wood chisels with. Then off to a similar 220 grit shop tool hone, and finally to a soft Ark. Naturally it took a good while to smooth it out. It’s finally ready for the hard Ark, then a black Ark. Well, most of the blade anyway. I lost patience and gave up on the heel of the blade.

All this to say, Torrey Tuesday is coming soon for me.

I thought I was checking my first Torrey to see if I could get a third good shave without touching it to a hone. I did give it the full pasted balsa strop progression. Then forgot the linen and leather!
Bad news: uncomfortable (no surprise once I figured out my brain fade), but no post-shave irritation :thumbup1:
Good news: plenty sharp, maybe I finally created a durable edge for this attractive (to me!) razor
7162F445-5509-4950-BB06-3BA345075EE4.jpeg

Ever-Ready vintage banded boar shedder
BOSC Special Reserve CLW

Torrey “Our 136”
LaToja stick
Simpson Wee Scot

This razor has a tang with a triangular crossection, very narrow on the bottom edge. So today I tried the alternate grip that was mentioned recently in another thread - the thumb goes against the side of the blade near the heel with 3 fingers wrapped around the top edge of the tang before the scales. It’s actually very stable.

7C790F12-20B7-4F9E-873D-5193909C31AE.jpeg

Finally straightened out a Torrey razor to participate in Torrey Tuesday. She’s not much like of a looker, and the first 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the heel still isn’t keen, but boy the rest of the blade that i got a good edge on the will shave with my best razors. Black Ark edges are heaven when done right and you spend enough time on them.

Attachments

• 13E1B288-16F1-4BED-B013-DCCAD48A34D1.jpeg
    13E1B288-16F1-4BED-B013-DCCAD48A34D1.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 13
  • EBC57BAD-1B0F-400E-A8C5-7011910B5D80.jpeg
    EBC57BAD-1B0F-400E-A8C5-7011910B5D80.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 14
J.R. Torrey Co.
Tabac
Yaqi 24mm Cashmere Dandelion
Tony Miller Horween Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
Tabac AS
Tabac EDC
20210622_055631.jpg

touched up on water only laps last eve. silky smooth indulgence.

be well all.

camo

The pretty boy Torrey has become a performer! Popping the hanging hair all across the blade. Lots of American vintage in this shave. I just cleaned up the butterscotch Made Rite 76 today, decided to give the vintage pure badger knot a chance.
BF3F236D-3B58-4D96-8718-99192B0395F3.jpeg

PXL_20210629_151909671-01.jpeg

JR Torrey, Gibraltar
Ach Brito, Mogno
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
TOBS Eaton College

The Torrey was obviously really ticked off at me due to its disuse lately. The darned thing bit me on the second stroke! A nice little horizontal line just below my right sideburn. It's been a while since I acquired any battle wounds...

But we came to terms and the overall shave was excellent. Note to self: Don't ignore the Torrey.

Today's shave was going to be the 992, but it appears to have developed a touch of Devil's Spit on the edge. I'm afraid it's got cell rot and I'm going to lose those beautiful scales...

Top Bottom