What's new

Toffee

Many of those recipes can be found in more than one place. Sometimes there are slight variations that fit better with the ingredients you have on hand.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey! I just asked her. She says she always just looks it up online when she makes it. (I honestly think she just wings it from memory) it's called "poor man's toffee" she says.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Last edited:
OMG! I can believe I forgot to mention the absolute best dessert on the planet. Chocolate Toffee Trifle. It’s basically layers of chocolate cake, whipped cream and toffee bits. Insanely delicious.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
This thread inspired me to try my hand at this. So yesterday I attempted to make a batch. I don't bake or make candy, we aren't really much of desert eaters to be honest, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Pretty easy. Basic ingredients; butter, sugar, water, vanilla, chocolate, nuts, salt. I don't own a candy thermometer so had to wing it there, but it came out really good.

Cooling...
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.08.49 PM.png

Ready for processing...
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.09.17 PM.png

Done...
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 7.09.47 PM.png

It's just a tad soft, probably could have cooked the sugar mixture a bit longer, but it tastes great. I used 60% chocolate, pecans, and sprinkled with flakey sea salt.

Thanks @DoctorShavegood for the inspiration

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Did I mention that BT is awesome? I have his hot sauce in my frig and its pretty good. Now he's making toffee...really?

This thread inspired me to try my hand at this. So yesterday I attempted to make a batch. I don't bake or make candy, we aren't really much of desert eaters to be honest, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Pretty easy. Basic ingredients; butter, sugar, water, vanilla, chocolate, nuts, salt. I don't own a candy thermometer so had to wing it there, but it came out really good.

Cooling...
View attachment 1077488

Ready for processing...
View attachment 1077489

Done...
View attachment 1077490

It's just a tad soft, probably could have cooked the sugar mixture a bit longer, but it tastes great. I used 60% chocolate, pecans, and sprinkled with flakey sea salt.

Thanks @DoctorShavegood for the inspiration

It looks good. Candies like toffee and peanut brittle are tricky and changes in humidity make them difficult. They seem to work best when humidity is as low as you can get it. Failing a candy thermometer there is always dropping a bit of the syrup into rather cold water. It does not sound very precise, but experience probably makes a significant difference for judging a soft ball or a hard crack, or whatever is required.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Did I mention that BT is awesome? I have his hot sauce in my frig and its pretty good. Now he's making toffee...really?

Your too kind

I tend to try new things when i get bored, maybe never to do them again. I haven't made pizza dough since I tried making it a couple times sometime back.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It looks good. Candies like toffee and peanut brittle are tricky and changes in humidity make them difficult. They seem to work best when humidity is as low as you can get it. Failing a candy thermometer there is always dropping a bit of the syrup into rather cold water. It does not sound very precise, but experience probably makes a significant difference for judging a soft ball or a hard crack, or whatever is required.

Thanks for the tips. I've given most of it away to neighbors so I might make another batch soon.

When I was reading recipes, many of the comments were a bit off putting. Lots of polar opposite opinions...

-Do not use salted butter!/Must use salted butter!
-Brown sugar works best/Brown sugar doesnt work at all
-Must wash down the crystals that form on the side of the pot/Crystals don't matter
-Stir sugar mixture constantly/Don't stir to often
-Candy thermometer is a must!/Candy thermometer is overrated

So when I started I thought it wasn't going to go well, but in the end it was fine. I didn't worry about any crystals, stirred the sugar mixture fairly often but not constantly. Used the color of the mixture to signal when it was 'done'. Salted butter and regular cane sugar. I thought it was all pretty straight forward but it's certainly possible (probable?) that I got lucky with that first batch.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife made cookies with toffee chips this weekend. Needless to say, te keto routine was put on hold. Only one cookie per day though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I won't tell you how many of my wife's peanut butter cookies I just ate, after the bean soup!

Top Bottom