What's new

Hot towel shave

Recently i was reading an article regarding the "hot towel shave" and although i tried it once in the early days of my straight razor journey,i found that it's perhaps overkill so to speak,for a home shave,(may be fine for a salon/barber shave),just made me wonder if any of our guys swear by using a "hot towel" for a home shave,or like me hot water is fine🤔,cheers all👍🏽

My standard pre-shave prep is with a sponge, some soap and of course warm water.
In essence, I first wash my face with bath or glycerine soap and then repeatedly dab the (clean water, no soap) sponge on my face for about three minutes to swell facial skin and soften whiskers.

Occasionally, I use the wet towel pre-shave prep.
Same procedure as above, except that after washing my face I soak a towel (does not even have to be a specially made shaving towel) with as hot water as I can bear, wring the towel slightly to keep it from constantly dripping, and let the towel sit on my face for three minutes.

The most convenient way for me to do this is to march into the bedroom, having first put a double folded dry towel on the pillow, lie down and slap the still wet and hot towel on my face for three minutes.

It makes for a pampering experience, but truth be told the difference between my standard and hot towel method is minimal, if any.

B.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I was using a hot towel for a bit, did it for several weeks in the dead of winter. Felt really nice. It contributed little to the quality of my shaves, just felt good. Hot water splash is my regular routine.

DE shaver here, but my experience is that using a hot towel (hand towel soaked in really hot water, then squeezed out and wrapped around my face for a few minutes) really softens my beard and makes it easier to cut through stubble, which usually reduces instances of tugging and therefore irritation/nicks. I would say that a hot towel prep is more effective than a hot shower prep. if I don't shower before my shave I'll use a hot towel.

Combining a hot towel prep with Grooming Dept. pre-shave on transforms my DE into a lightsaber, it cuts through hairs so easily. Now that's an adjustable!

Screenshot_20230805_225736_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am not fond of “Hot Towel” shaving which seems to strip the natural oils from my face.

I am still learning and exploring all types of information about DE shaving. From my exploring, it seems that the hair follicles will hydrate and become soft after three minutes. This applies to rinsing in comfortably hot water whether applied to the face or via a towel compress.

I often place a small towel (folded several times) in “hot” tap water, squeeze most of the water out, and apply it to my face – the short time it takes to squeeze allows the water to cool slightly. I am experimenting with repeating several applications of the above procedure, reheating as it cools against my face.

If there are more suggestions, I would be pleased to hear (and try) them.

Thanks

if you take a hot shower before you shave and then splash some hot water again in your face before you apply your lather, why would a hot towel be necessary? They use hot towels, ect at the barber shop because you have not showered before you sit in the barber chair......

If the whiskers are saturated, then they're saturated. How they get saturated isn't all that important. But a saturated whisker will usually be easier to cut. So there's that.

There are guys using a microwave to heat a damp towel. There are all sorts of methods actually. There are no rules and if someone likes doing it then that's that. It's just like the guys with hot lather dispensers. It's just personal preference.

Me, my prep is nearly nonexistent. I shave at night and it's usually pretty quick.

If the whiskers are saturated, then they're saturated. How they get saturated isn't all that important. But a saturated whisker will usually be easier to cut. So there's that.

There are guys using a microwave to heat a damp towel. There are all sorts of methods actually. There are no rules and if someone likes doing it then that's that. It's just like the guys with hot lather dispensers. It's just personal preference.

Me, my prep is nearly nonexistent. I shave at night and it's usually pretty quick.
The one time i tried the "hot towel" i done it in the microwave,if i remember correctly😁

I am not fond of “Hot Towel” shaving which seems to strip the natural oils from my face.

It’s funny how you said that.
It sounded like you consider stripping natural oils before a shave a bad thing.

I believe the opposite is true and removing natural oils during pre-shave helps soften skin and facial hair, which is a good thing in my book.
It also helps clearing pores and removing grime that still might stick to one’s face.

After the shave, I can apply an after shave balm or facial cream to provide protection.

B.

It’s funny how you said that.
It sounded like you consider stripping natural oils before a shave a bad thing.

I believe the opposite is true and removing natural oils during pre-shave helps soften skin and facial hair, which is a good thing in my book.
It also helps clearing pores and removing grime that still might stick to one’s face.

After the shave, I can apply an after shave balm or facial cream to provide protection.

B.
Thanks for your insight.

I personally think it helps but don't find it a necessity. Nice to have on cold winter days but otherwise not mandatory for me.
if anything i actually find more value in a freezing cold towel after the shave! if you haven't tried it give it a shot, amazing sensation on hot summer days.

For a while over the summer this year, when the humidity was at its worst, I was taking cold rather than got showers before shaving. I was quite confused why my honing seemed to have suddenly got much worse.

Top Bottom