Tobacquisitions for April 2015

A new IMP meerschaum for me as well - a smooth bent apple

Plus the items that had been in my cart for sometime:
1) McClelland Craftsbury Virginia Woods
2) McClelland Personal Reserves Dark Star
3) McClelland Special Anniversary

$SP Purch_Apr2015.jpg

View attachment 567640

In my hunt for a birth year pipe I came across this one and decided to bid. I was the only bidder, which may not be a good sign, but we'll see. This may not have been made the year I was born ? I really do not know, but what I do know is that this pipe has the original box, mailer insert, and receipt of purchase which I thought was pretty cool. The year of purchase just so happens to be my birth year, so while perhaps it is not a true birth year pipe, it is certainly a pipe from the year of my birth.

My research, which has turned up very limited information, indicates that the maker "Civic" had recently acquired the famed Loewe & Co and was just before Civic became Cadogan when this pipe was most likely made. It is almost certainly not a Loewe & Co pipe since Civic had been producing pipes of their own make for around 50 years already at the time that this pipe was most likely made. I look forward to it's arrival and anticipate that it will be a great smoker. Hopefully it will be sent on a plane and not a boat!

I will post full pics in my Tobacco Journal thread once it arrives as I have been neglecting my journal for some time now.

The Civic Canterbury 540 Billiard
$Untitled.jpg

The Original Receipt
$Receipt.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Got my Kensington Oom Paul from pipetobacco.com. It's a little bit smaller than I expected (not that I have any experience with Oom Pauls to know how big they are), but that's ok. It's not small, and I'm not a big fan of real long smokes. This is in the size range of a MM General or Dr. Grabow Big Pipe, which is about as long as I want to go (excepting the occasional MacArthur foray). And all for $30.

Here's the pipe.
$IMAG2278-1.jpg

Here it is with a Big Pipe and General for size reference.
$IMAG2279-1.jpg

There's a seller on eBay unloading a bunch of Comoy's of London stock for a good price.

Picked up a Comoy's Prince in the Pebble Grain.

In my hunt for a birth year pipe I came across this one and decided to bid. I was the only bidder, which may not be a good sign, but we'll see. This may not have been made the year I was born ? I really do not know, but what I do know is that this pipe has the original box, mailer insert, and receipt of purchase which I thought was pretty cool. The year of purchase just so happens to be my birth year, so while perhaps it is not a true birth year pipe, it is certainly a pipe from the year of my birth.

My research, which has turned up very limited information, indicates that the maker "Civic" had recently acquired the famed Loewe & Co and was just before Civic became Cadogan when this pipe was most likely made. It is almost certainly not a Loewe & Co pipe since Civic had been producing pipes of their own make for around 50 years already at the time that this pipe was most likely made. I look forward to it's arrival and anticipate that it will be a great smoker. Hopefully it will be sent on a plane and not a boat!

I will post full pics in my Tobacco Journal thread once it arrives as I have been neglecting my journal for some time now.

The Civic Canterbury 540 Billiard

The Original Receipt

Glad you for the birth year pipe! It's a looker to boot!

Top Bottom