What's new

Tobacquisition - August 2019

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Telegraph spikes for 1971, birth year. Gonna try some shade tree blacksmithing and forging a pipe tamper.

View attachment 1012999

Telegraph spikes for 1971, birth year. Gonna try some shade tree blacksmithing and forging a pipe tamper.

That'll be interesting, keep us posted on it. I'm presuming you'll grind down the year until it's relatively flat but still visible? I know nothing of the black art of smithing, so excuse the stupid question and if you find any 1975s, I will graciously allow you to make one for me :D

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
They are pretty soft. I did this with no heat.
proxy.php

I think mine being relatively newer are galvanized, but can’t be sure. They look like hot dipped framing nails.

I want to copy that guy on Facebook that Smith’s a spoon on the end.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That'll be interesting, keep us posted on it. I'm presuming you'll grind down the year until it's relatively flat but still visible? I know nothing of the black art of smithing, so excuse the stupid question and if you find any 1975s, I will graciously allow you to make one for me :D

I think I am going to leave as is. eBay has a bunch, but my suspicion is they stopped using them around the early 70s. If I see one I’ll grab it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Anyone know of tests to check for galvanization? Google searches have salt test and to look for rusting. Or using copper sulphate. Where do I find copper sulphate lol?

Anyone know of tests to check for galvanization? Google searches have salt test and to look for rusting. Or using copper sulphate. Where do I find copper sulphate lol?

You sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole there reading about date nails, interesting, I was reading this PDF and it says (page 5, I think) that collectors have set up a code system for material, manufacterer etc, maybe you can work out what it's made from with that?

https://www.rta.org/assets/docs/Other/date nail history cohs.pdf

Chemistry store. I remember getting this stuff with my chemistry set. Very pretty deep bright blue color.

Apparantly collecting these things are a big niche thing.

There's a three volume book showing every known date nail apparently, how long before we have a Date Nail sub forum here, surely it's only a matter of time now you've brought them up? :D

Top Bottom