What's new

Tips on rounding the point on a straight razor

Hi folks!

My first straight razor project is in the mail on the way to me. The blade has a couple of small chips (image below), and I'm exploring how to handle the small imperfections. I understand the method of wiping the blade over sandpaper until the chips are removed. Since the larger chip is on the toe, I'm considering rounding the tip. The end result of rounding the tip would be a half-circle shape from the edge to the spine. I know it's probably overkill and I may not resort to rounding the point on a square-tip razor, but I'm still curious how this can be accomplished. Any advice on how to round the tip or links to earlier threads about this is greatly appreciated. A quick search didn't turn up anything.

Thanks!

$il_fullxfull.452673046_3dzn.jpg

Last edited:
Hone the tip on a 300 grit 45° bread knife just on the point corner

Thanks Jon. I may end up doing just that.

I realize that I should clarify my question--and I've updated my OP. I'd like to know how one would round the entire toe end of the razor. The end result would be a half-circle from the edge to the spine on the toe end of the razor.

You could still sand it down on lower grit wet dry or get a dremel or grinder. Make sure it doesnt heat up too much to kill the temper or crack. Eep it near ice or cold water, dunking when gets too hot.

You could still sand it down on lower grit wet dry or get a dremel or grinder. Make sure it doesnt heat up too much to kill the temper or crack. Eep it near ice or cold water, dunking when gets too hot.

I would probably use my bench grinder to make the round shape, dunking the razor as needed. I wonder if this method risks chipping the edge even more as I grind close to the edge.

Very light touches on a low grit diamond plate... I turn the point ever so slightly against the plate as I drag it to create a rounded point. You only have to do a very, very small part of the point to eliminate the spike.

*edit* Just to clarify, it sounds like you are talking about rounding out the entire front of the razor, which I wouldn't recommend... although there are plenty of modders here who will disagree.

All good advice. I'll post my result when it's all done. Thanks for the replies.

On all of the ebay razors I have bought where I had to do work on the point, I used a fine belt on my belt sander (about 1 second on the belt followed by a dunk in ice water) to tear down the metal fast. I learned early on to never grind the blade edge from the side but rather use a light touch and bring the blade to the belt like you are going to cut the belt, straight on and cool often.

I found when you grind from the edge to the spine, the heat goes to the spine, when grinding from the spine to the edge, the edge heats up to blue before you can pull the blade back off the belt. I also found out that grinding wheels and razor edges result in chipping of the edge and breaking off largish chunks from the blade.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The thin steel at the razor's edge can overheat in a second or two. When you see blue stain, that's it. You toasted it. At least in that area. Grinder? Not a good idea. I would go to Harbor Freight and get their cheapie diamond hone set, either the 4-way block, or the three plate set. They are cheap as beans. You can round the toe or you can simply make it a shorty, if you still want a square toe. Whatever you like.

This is the last one I did, I used my belt grinder. The key with power tools on this stuff is to use fresh belts and use lower grit belts. High grit belts build up heat much quicker. Never grind the razor from the side, always from spine to edge or the other way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

-Xander

Using a forward motion, as Dave describe, seems like the way to go. Thanks for making that clear to me.

All the advice about overheating the blade is great.

I have DMT Duosharp bench "stones" in the coarse/extra-coarse and fine/extra-fine grits. Even if it takes longer, the diamond stone may be the way to go to avoid complications from overheating the edge. I can see how working on a stone rather than a belt sander might afford me better control when applying pressure to it, reducing the possibility of chipping the edge even more. The bench grinder is out. Although I have a variable speed grinder, I wouldn't feel comfortable experimenting with this method since I don't have a very slow moving wheel as is found on Tormeks.

Another thought; I suppose I could round the edge side with a DMT stone and round the spine side with a belt sander. Then I could finish off by unifying the curve on the diamond stone. Thanks for all the advice, again!

This is the last one I did, I used my belt grinder. The key with power tools on this stuff is to use fresh belts and use lower grit belts. High grit belts build up heat much quicker. Never grind the razor from the side, always from spine to edge or the other way.

Xander - You ended up with a real looker. Great job and nice photos. You've set the bar high.

Are you sure you want to turn that into a roundpoint?

Nice squarepoints are harder to find. Whereas, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an accused roundpoint.

Craig, I really dislike round points, but I feel like people are really scared of square points which means more for me!!

Craig, I really dislike round points, but I feel like people are really scared of square points which means more for me!!

A muted tip is the Great Equalizer for all tip styles....but don't tell anybody else that, OK? It'll be our little secret....

Are you sure you want to turn that into a roundpoint?

I'm not sure I want to round the point. Personally, I'd like to keep the width of the blade from edge to spine as wide as possible, so rounding the point would be a way to remove as little material from the width of the blade overall. But it's not a lot of material to remove if I decide not to round it. The razor isn't in awful condition.

I wasn't aware of roundpoint vs squarepoint availability or desirability. I have been DE shaving until now and I've ordered three straights to get started in this new endeavor. It's interesting to hear about that.

Roundpoint razors seem less intimidating from a shaving perspective, so that's another reason I am considering changing the style of the point. At the moment, I don't know what I want to do. This thread has been great for understanding how one might go about rounding the point should I decide to do it, and for that I thank you all.

I just glass my square points at the tip and no ribbons of red appear!

Just hone that bad boy up to HHT-6 (it's a joke people!) or so and rub the very end on a glass a couple times, it will burnish the edge but not grind the metal away.

I flattened the edge on 220 sandpaper. Now i'll put an edge on it and take my destiny into my own hands. Thanks folks!

Top Bottom