What's new

Razors from the Netherlands: a Dutch Point, which Isn't

I was, in a moment of weakness, scrolling through ebay (despite the small heap of unfinished project razors which has already developed next to my work area), when I happened to come across an interesting specimen, which, of course, I then found myself purchasing. It was a razor of apparently Dutch origin, which is in my experience unusual. I've seen razors made for Holland, but until now not one made locally. The marking read "W. Schuurbiers en Zoon, Bergen op Zoom", which near as I can tell means W. Schuurbiers and Son was the maker, operating out of the city of Bergen op Zoom. Any Dutch users with info or conjecture about this, or other examples of apparently Dutch made razors, are welcome.

One generally associates Dutch razors with a rounded, gentle looking point, after all, the round point is also known as a Dutch point, yet here we are with a Dutch razor with what I believe would be considered a fairly aggressive example of a Spanish point (yet somehow most of the Spanish razors I've seen were Square pointed). With the razor in my hands, I see no evidence that would suggest the point had been reground or modified. Rather amusing in my opinion.

The blade measures about 7/8" wide, with a fairly heavy half hollow grind, and has horn scales (after sanding and polishing they developed a faint, beautiful chatoyance almost like mother of pearl) with a bone wedge. The pins are iron, like many French razors I've seen, and the washers are some sort of light metal which patinates a dull grey, possibly some sort of tin alloy like pewter.

There was a substantial chip in the rear third of the edge, but I liked the look and feel of the razor, so I reprofiled it into a sort of mid 19th c. Sheffield smiling wing shape. This left the heel area annoyingly thick, so I reground it on a wheel larger than the original grinder's to eat the honewear and thin it behind the edge for a sort of bellied hollow effect. This was my first time trying this, and it worked very well, only in the future I'll take the edge bevel even narrower. Honed it, finishing on the usual Nakayama, and while I haven't shaved yet preliminary tests bode well.

Thoughts?

1695953221936.jpeg

1695953239459.jpeg

Post regrind/cleanup, pre-honing:
1695953275571.jpeg

1695953350293.jpeg

Very cool razor. Let us know how it shaves. I don't know much razors out side Japan, Germany, French, and Britian due to my collection. The edge you put the razor looks very good.

Very cool razor. Let us know how it shaves. I don't know much razors out side Japan, Germany, French, and Britian due to my collection. The edge you put the razor looks very good.
It shaved pretty well, maybe a little on the harsh side but within the range of acceptability, which I would attribute to hard steel needing more aggressive slurry than it got. I'll try another nagura progression just for fun. If anything this piece reminded me slightly of the Japanese razors I have, in the shape of the tang and spine mostly. I have to assume this is just a coincidence, as far as I know by the time the Japanese were setting up to make western style razors they had almost entirely left the Dutch sphere of technical influence and were mostly following British and Prussian methods. In any case, I believe I can pronounce it a perfectly good razor.

I found a digital registration of birth and death certificat of one Wilhelmus Schuurbiers, born 1849, passed on 1912.
He was born in Bergen op Zoom on the 5th of january 1849.
He had one Son, Franciscus Schuurbiers 1874 - 1943.

Fun fact, there appears to have been a run in with the law.
It says Willem Schuurbiers, a Merchant, was caught on march 2nd 1897 using 3 dogs to pull his cart/wagon, while he only paid taxes for one dog. He was sentences to a fine of 1000 gulden or 2 days in custody. (doesn't say which option he went for).

Probably him, timing seems right. There was another W Schuurbiers born in 1900, was his grandchild. Doesn't appear to have children.

I'll see if I can find anything else later.

Last edited:
Some years ago, some Dutch entrepreneurs got a batch of razors made, most likely by a Chinese contract manufacturer.
2014_04_07.jpg

It was presented as being a Dutch razor, but I doubt it was forged there. It is a fine razor though, feels like a Titan.

Some years ago, some Dutch entrepreneurs got a batch of razors made, most likely by a Chinese contract manufacturer.

It was presented as being a Dutch razor, but I doubt it was forged there. It is a fine razor though, feels like a Titan.
The idea was to get a cheap razor for beginners, but a bit different than the typical GD. This way, in 2013, Morgenstond was ‘born’. It is made in the same factory as Titan, but Morgenstond is made out of VG10.

The idea was to get a cheap razor for beginners, but a bit different than the typical GD. This way, in 2013, Morgenstond was ‘born’. It is made in the same factory as Titan, but Morgenstond is made out of VG10.
I like it. At the time, it has a nice construction that set it apart from the GDs, which did not have the fancier models they now have.
Do you know if only one batch was made or is it still commercially available?

Do you know if only one batch was made or is it still commercially available?
Unfortunately, I do not know this. I assume it was a very limited production as they were not that popular. It was meant to be a local thing, and even in the Netherlands wasn’t much of a hit.

One generally associates Dutch razors with a rounded, gentle looking point, after all, the round point is also known as a Dutch point, yet here we are with a Dutch razor with what I believe would be considered a fairly aggressive example of a Spanish point (yet somehow most of the Spanish razors I've seen were Square pointed).
Just because it is Dutch does not necessarily mean it has to have a Dutch (round) point. Spanish have made razors with different points, Germans made all the popular ones and those are just two (or three) examples, there are many more.

Top Bottom