What's new

Relearning with a straight

For your first few shaves while you are worried or nervous and figuring out the basics, you’ll likely end up with some boo boos.
It just occurred to me that if you're concerned about how you'll look after your first few SR shaves you should time them for when you're on vacation or over a long weekend so that you've got time to recover if needed, and get to the point where your shaves are at least socially acceptable for your workplace. Not only do you have time to take it slowly if needed, you don't have the stress of worrying about what your cow-orkers think or (even worse) say.

It just occurred to me that if you're concerned about how you'll look after your first few SR shaves you should time them for when you're on vacation or over a long weekend so that you've got time to recover if needed, and get to the point where your shaves are at least socially acceptable for your workplace. Not only do you have time to take it slowly if needed, you don't have the stress of worrying about what your cow-orkers think or (even worse) say.
Completely agree! I occasionally get a little weeper here or there. I still have some trouble spots, but am excited I’m just down to fighting some trouble spots vice every square inch.

if I were to reiterate the most important thing of shaving with a straight is to maintain as close to zero pressure as possible. The skin should not deflect at all by the naked eye from the pressure of the razor. That is how little pressure to use.

congrats on your recovery. straights are awesome. i am by no mean a straight expert but if i were to give one advice it's to take your time with a straight. if you are in rush that morning just use a DE or an SE and save the straight for another time

I occasionally get a little weeper here or there.
I had trouble with weepers for decades. Then, shortly after I discovered this site I found mention of pre-shave oils and did a little research and found a recipe that looked interesting. I bought the various ingredients online (except for EVOO that I already had for cooking) made some up and haven't had a weeper since. Don't know if it's the oil or better technique, but I'm not going to try shaving without it just to find out!

I had trouble with weepers for decades. Then, shortly after I discovered this site I found mention of pre-shave oils and did a little research and found a recipe that looked interesting. I bought the various ingredients online (except for EVOO that I already had for cooking) made some up and haven't had a weeper since. Don't know if it's the oil or better technique, but I'm not going to try shaving without it just to find out!
I have reached a stage where I am just learning what crutches I don't need any more, because my techniques have gradually improved.

Do I still need to avoid hot water shaves, and shaving right after a shower, because it makes my skin fragile and I'm more likely to scrape skin? (no)

Do I still need to hone after at most three shaves, because the razor will be uncomfortable due to microchips? (no, but I still usually do it, because I like to hone)

Do I still need to lather up and wrap my face in a wet towel before the shave for a few minutes, to soften the whiskers? (I don't know. I like it and I don't feel like stopping, for now)

I was in a hurry and used a cart razor a few days ago. I‘m Not sure if I forgot how to make it shave well or if my shaves have always been that bad. Aside from a few trouble spots, the straight is giving a vastly better shave.

Top Bottom