What's new

Timeless Ti & Stainless Thin Razor.... Saaaweeeet!!!

Oh Yeah!! It's on my shaving bro-hams!!!! Woo-Wee!!!

mail.jpeg-1.jpg

mail.jpeg.jpg

mail.jpeg-2.jpg

Very interesting, but I’m rather confused...
The quoted blade exposure seems the same as on their .95 razor (ie 0.05 mm or 0.002”), but they say this new slim baseplate is “AGGRESSIVE”, with “a lot of blade feel”, although it has a much smaller gap at 0.5 mm....??

What am I missing? Obviously the slimmer profile will mean different overall geometry, and probably different angle of the blade once clamped, but it still doesn’t quite make sense why it would be much more aggressive and with considerably more blade feel compared to the original .95 plate...?

The quoted blade exposure seems the same as on their .95 razor (ie 0.05 mm or 0.002”), but they say this new slim baseplate is “AGGRESSIVE”, with “a lot of blade feel”, although it has a much smaller gap at 0.5 mm....??

What am I missing? Obviously the slimmer profile will mean different overall geometry, and probably different angle of the blade once clamped, but it still doesn’t quite make sense why it would be much more aggressive and with considerably more blade feel compared to the original .95 plate...?
More blade exposure is the only explanation.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I saw this in my Inbox today. Initially my mouth was watering so to speak, but after doing a little light reading on their website, it looks like it's more aggressive than the .68 that I own...which I got a perfect shave from this AM. I'd hate to mess with what I have which is providing some seriously good shaves.

Consider the illustration below (i.e. picture it with a smaller blade gap but the same blade exposure):
1605731874598.png

0.5 mm is the blade exposure not gap.

tenor.gif

Direct from their email subscribers list & website. Unless it's a typo....

NEW SLIM EDITION Base Plates by TIMELESS RAZOR
SLIM EDITION: Stainless Steel or Titanium Base Plate: 0.5mm blade gap.
This new slim edition base plate is wire cut on our EDM machine for precise tolerances. The rinse out ports are then cut on our CNC mill, then get hand polished and finally they are LASER ENGRAVED on our new laser engraver. This new design makes getting under your nose and neck easier than ever. This AGRESSIVE 0.5mm blade gap makes for a quick smooth shave. Just don't press. This is our most aggressive razor yet but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave. As with all of our razor parts this is made in house by us in the USA.
Choose from our selection of caps, handles, and stands to build your own razor​

In that case, I can't see how it's more aggressive than the 0.95 if they have the same gap and exposure. I'll wait for reviews.

I emailed them to ask, and got a very prompt reply, as usual.
Topcap is the same.
As for aggressiveness and feel... Matt’s opinion is that “it is more aggressive than .95 plate, and has more blade feel. The angle of the blade is less with this versus the original baseplate.”
So it sounds like it’s the overall geometry of the head, and the angle at which it clamps the blade.

I’m looking forward to some reviews as well...

I emailed them to ask, and got a very prompt reply, as usual.
Topcap is the same.
As for aggressiveness and feel... Matt’s opinion is that “it is more aggressive than .95 plate, and has more blade feel. The angle of the blade is less with this versus the original baseplate.”
So it sounds like it’s the overall geometry of the head, and the angle at which it clamps the blade.

I’m looking forward to some reviews as well...

Yes, based on the clamp angle it’s logical it will feel a lot more aggressive than the other design. There’s a reason Gillette made their best smooth mild razors have quit a bit of curve in the blade when clamping.

I like that he’s experimenting with the design though, as he may eventually fine a balance that is thinner and fairly mild yet efficient like the 0.68.

Now, I would recommend Fine’s new razor as a thinner alternative to the timeless 0.68. A little less efficient, but also a little less aggressive and smoother than the Timeless (in Ti at least, which is what I have now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard SS or Ti version has a .002" blade exposure and the Thin is .05" which is much more aggressive... I'm guessing its more in line with say the Blackbird in aggression now.

I believe the blade exposure on the slim plate is 0.05 mm (not 0.05”), which is pretty much the same as 0.002” on the classic .95 plate.
It’s a bit confusing, as their website has the blade exposure in mm for slim, and in inches for the classic plate....
(0.05” would be 1.27 mm, which is pretty huge...!!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom