What's new

Timeless Razors - help me decide

Was hoping to get some opinions on the differences between the safety bar, scalloped, and open combed version of these razors. Also not sure which blade gap to go with (.68 or .95). For those of you who own one, how would you compare to other razors in aggressiveness? For example, how mild is the .68? Similar to a Tech? De89? Wolfman? I have the common thick hair with sensitive skin. The wolfman sb is my go to right now. I dont particularly lean towards aggressive razors.

I'm starting this thread to hopefully help anyone who is interested in what Timeless has to offer but is having trouble deciding what to try.

I purchased my razor with both blade gaps; the .68 scalloped base and the .95 with solid bar. I really like mild razors and the .68 gap, at least for me, felt every bit as smooth and mild as my Feather AS-D2 but was much more efficient (BBS on 2 passes). I liked it so much I sold my Feather. Now I am not very familiar with aggressive razors and that is why I ordered the .95 base with the solid bar. I have used it one time with an Astra blade and it felt great too although I have no other like gapped or agressive razors to compare it to at the moment.

I know the isn't much help and I apologize but I have only been wet shaving for a few months and my knowledge/trial and error is limited.

I have the OC .68mm base plate with a scalloped cap. It's both more aggressive and smoother than either the Tech or DE89 for me and more efficient as a result. I find it to be more aggressive than a Feather AS-D2 with slightly better efficiency and a bit less smoothness. It's less aggressive than either my Fatip Grande or Muhle 41 2013 iteration and maybe just a bit less efficient as those as well. I haven't tried the .95 gapped Timeless, but I don't find myself wishing I had it either. I like aggressive razors, and the .68mm OC Timeless is just fine in that department.

FYI, I kind of wish I'd gotten the smooth cap rather than the scalloped cap. The scalloped cap looks cool, but that's about it in my experience with my face. I'm sort of Bauhaus when it comes to these things: If something looks cool, that coolness should have a function too. YMMV of course.

I have the .68 solid bar and compared to my EJ DE89, it provides at least as close of shave, but is more gentle feeling (not a lot of blade feel), more forgiving, and smoother. I used my EJ exclusively for the past two years until recently when I got my Feather and Timeless. I liked the EJ, but I like both the Feather and Timeless a lot more.

I don't really have an interest in the open comb, but I did have a hard time deciding between the solid bar and scalloped (I knew that I wanted the smooth cap either way). Since it sounded like they'd be pretty similar in how they performed, I just went with the one I liked the looks of more. I think they both look great, but I like the look of the solid bar a bit more.

I know things are ymmv but I have been reading the timeless .68 is more mild than the ATT R...but the blade gap on the R is .58 and on the Timeless is .68. Am I missing something?

I own both the .68 SB and OC . Both are very efficient smooth shaving razors . To compare the SB to the OC the OC is definitely more aggressive/efficient but not in a harsh or bad way what's so ever it's a very effortless shave with no worries or weepers . My first razor was a 34c HD and I love that razor super smooth and decently efficient . For me the Timeless is just as smooth on the skin and way more efficient . I have sensitive skin and I have tried several different razors and by far the Timeless is top notch in my book .

As far as the blade gap compared to the R plate by ATT . I think what makes the huge difference is the way that the Timeless blade is pitched when you clamp it down . It's on a much more downward angle opposed to the ATT that is set at a more straight forward angle . Also the R might have more blade reveal which can also make for a more aggressive feel .

Hope this his helps you out , either Timeless set up you get you won't be disappointed . And one last thing I have both smooth and scalloped top plates . Really no difference in performance . One just looks cooler then the other .

Last edited:
I know things are ymmv but I have been reading the timeless .68 is more mild than the ATT R...but the blade gap on the R is .58 and on the Timeless is .68. Am I missing something?

This is hard to explain- perhaps it's the geometry of the head? I own both the ATT R1 and Timeless .68, and the Timeless does feel milder yet is more is efficient. The ATT R1 is an amazing razor, but I have to be alert when using it or else I wind up with a couple nicks- usually on my chin or neck. The Timeless seems to be more forgiving, and I can wield it almost as carelessly as I would a cartridge razor with no nicks.

This is hard to explain- perhaps it's the geometry of the head? I own both the ATT R1 and Timeless .68, and the Timeless does feel milder yet is more is efficient. The ATT R1 is an amazing razor, but I have to be alert when using it or else I wind up with a couple nicks- usually on my chin or neck. The Timeless seems to be more forgiving, and I can wield it almost as carelessly as I would a cartridge razor with no nicks.
Is the overall blade exposure less on the Timeless compared to the R? I can definitely tell from pictures that the way the blade is held on the Timeless looks much more secure...with positive clamping of the blade from the top and the bottom. Maybe that adds some rigidity to the blade making the shave seem milder?

I have the .68 .95 and OC .68
I would say the .68 is a easy everyday shaver, I have also used the .68 OC everyday as well and was able to get a smooth shave. The .95 is easy 2 pass shave while the .68 is a nice 3 pass shave. Used the .68 Scallopedhead today and got a BBS 3 pass shave today. I love the barberpole handle as well. I have yet to find a nicer looking and smoother razor yet. IMHO

Is the overall blade exposure less on the Timeless compared to the R? I can definitely tell from pictures that the way the blade is held on the Timeless looks much more secure...with positive clamping of the blade from the top and the bottom. Maybe that adds some rigidity to the blade making the shave seem milder?

The blade exposure seems to be the same to my eye, but DEdestroyer summed up the biggest difference: "I think what makes the huge difference is the way that the Timeless blade is pitched when you clamp it down . It's on a much more downward angle opposed to the ATT that is set at a more straight forward angle".

Sorry I've a bit late to this thread. I've had a Timeless .95 OC with the shorter 85mm handle for a few months now. Here's my review. The razor is beautiful and exceedingly well made, but after a few months I've decided that I need something a bit milder, so I'm going to order the Timeless .68 SB base plate. The fault isn't with the .95 OC. My beard is just too light to justify that level of aggression, and my tendency to shave without thinking results in too many nicks and weepers. I'm choosing the SB over the scalloped plate because many reviews, some on this thread, say that the SB and scalloped heads have no discernible difference in shave quality. I'll write a review of the new plate after I've had some experience with it.

Good luck!

Top Bottom