What's new

Thoughts on the Feather Popular?

So far I'm digging the Feather Popular, although I thought it was best on the first and second shaves on the Feather blade. After that it seemed to be struggling a bit.

I'm just not in the mood for writing, but I thought I'd let you know I haven't forgotten about this thread.

I actually prefer both of my Weishi razors to my Popular. But the Popular performs above it's price tag as well. Just a solid, nice shaver.

Just had shave number five on the Popular. I think I shouldn't push Feather blades in this razor.

I got pretty much bbs after three passes and quite a bit of buffing. Quite a bit of cuts and irritation on my neck, plus I shaved yesterday....I shouldn't try to shave every day with a DE.

As long as you dont mind the light weight and the plastic construction, the Feather is a great razor. Some people dont like that the handle to open the butterfly doors is high up on the handle but its not a big deal.
It is really, really mild though and you almost need to use Feather blades in it. It doesnt do well with mild blades.

As long as you dont mind the light weight and the plastic construction, the Feather is a great razor. Some people dont like that the handle to open the butterfly doors is high up on the handle but its not a big deal.
It is really, really mild though and you almost need to use Feather blades in it. It doesnt do well with mild blades.

I use mine with Astra SP quite often and it works well for me. It may just be a YMMV!
:001_smile:001_302::a14:

I have one and to tell the truth, I hate it. Now that's just *me* talking about *my* experience with it on *my* face. All you guys who love it? You're right too. Which just goes to show - YMMV.

I have ingrown hair tendency. I only use 2 razors.... Feather Popular and Gillette Tech vintage (with triangle openings on head). I dont like the light handling, and hard to shave under nose with Feather. I dont like small handle of the Gillette. But i use one of these daily and I dont get ingrowns. So i dont change. I use GSB blades. Kai blades dont fit in the Popular. Feather blades are too sharp. Med prep Personna blades are good too.

The FP is quite a decent and well made razor. Although it's as light as a feather, coupled with a Feather or Nacet, it delivers a great shave. It even comes with a nifty case that my more expensive razors did not provide. Many people like this razor for its long handle. This razor makes a great starter razor and also makes for a great travel razor. It's also made in Japan. Worth the price. I paid about 12 bucks 5 years ago.

I have an FP and it's my very favorite DE. It's mild enough that I don't have to focus on perfect technique, but not so mild that I need a million passes to do the job.

My only niggle is the turning knob being at the head. If I choke up on the handle too much I find myself accidentally loosening the doors when I flip the razor. Just something to be aware of, particularly if you're used to short-handled razors like a Fatip Piccolo.

I don't really mind the plastic construction. It's plastic, not papier-mache. Lots of Schick Injectors are mostly plastic and they last decades, after all. Mine, at least, was perfectly constructed. It's cheap as chips. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a mild DE, never mind people who are just getting into wet shaving. Obviously, if you're the type who wants a really aggressive razor, you need to look elsewhere.

Just got one, had a couple of shaves with Gillette Platinum in it. Definitely more aggressive than Wilkinson Classic. Also I find it has a nicer feel because of metal top. Good control. Very well made. Just got BBS for good night :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I posted a few posts ago. Im still using the Popular or my Gillette Tech and Im still getting no ingrown hairs. I shave daily usually. Im still thinking it might be nicer to have a Feather ASD2 and spend whatever it costs now but so far never did.
I have a brand new backup Feather Popular in the closet i might switch to one day but so far the one i bought about 3 yrs ago works ok.
What id like to convey is how horrible it can be to get deeply embedded ingrowm hairs so how nice it is to find a system of shaving that works. Thats why im resistant to trying different more agressive razors. I have the Popular and i have 2 identical Gillette Techs with triangular heads from the 40's i think and i havent had any ingrown hairs since using only these. Before then i was using Bumpfighter razor and blades which also works but the shave is less close.
What caused my ingrowns was occasional use of disposable razors of 1 to 3 blades on short trips mostly.
I thought a few days on a disposable would be ok but each shave was a risk of a deeply embedded ingrown hair.

If i experimented with more aggressive de razors or adjustable ones i can imagine the potential risk.

Changing shaving soap, oils, aftershave, balms, ointments has almost no impact to me though.

So in summation the benefit of the Feather Popular to someone with a tendency to get deeply embedded ingroen facial hairs is substantial.

What id like to convey is how horrible it can be to get deeply embedded ingrowm hairs so how nice it is to find a system of shaving that works. . . .
Before then i was using Bumpfighter razor and blades which also works but the shave is less close.

Gillette Guard razors are specifically designed for those prone to ingrowns.
I'll not give up my Feather Popular with 7 o'clock SP blacks, but on days I'm in a hurry, the Guard is an quick & good alternative.
A lot better than Bumpfighters at any rate.

Last edited:
The Feather Popular has fast become my daily driver, yet I only bought it as an afterthought... Not aggressive, yet very efficient it gives me a superb shave. It's the only razor in my arsenal with which I can get BBS and I can do that with 2 passes (WTG and ATG). For the money it's unbeatable. Now if only Feather made a full stainless steel version...

The Feather Popular has fast become my daily driver, yet I only bought it as an afterthought... Not aggressive, yet very efficient it gives me a superb shave. It's the only razor in my arsenal with which I can get BBS and I can do that with 2 passes (WTG and ATG). For the money it's unbeatable. Now if only Feather made a full stainless steel version...
PS I also find that the DE89 is as rough as a badgers arse...

It is a great looking razor, but after shave with it you need another razor to shave. Zero efficiency.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola mit Tapatalk

Well, after a few years of giving DE shaving an honest go, I'm giving it up.

I got just as much irritation and bad shaves with the Popular as I did with the DE89, even though I did everything I was supposed to do.

DE shaving just isn't for me.

Top Bottom