What's new

Thoughts on the Feather Popular?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I can honestly say a Gillette Good News gives me a 1000 times better shave than the DE86. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The EJ certainly looks nice (I really like the look of the black handle), but it just does not give me a good shave at all. I'm willing to try the Feather Popular and see how it goes, and it if works out I'll maybe try other more expensive razors. At this point though, I just don't want to shell out a ton of money on something else.

Some razors I think would suit you are the Feather Popular, the Weishi 9306 and Gillette Super Speeds. You can usually find them these days for under $20.00 easily, and if you invest a Saturday you can likely find a Gillette Super Speed under $5.00.

There is a reason the Gillette Super Speed was made over so many years. and that companies like Feather and Weishi and others copy the design and that is it works, it's forgiving and it is mild. Of those, my Gillette Super Speeds I've been using for almost a half century (maybe more) are still my favorites and among modern razors the Weishi 9306 and Feather Popular are the closest to the old Super Speed standard.

The Schick Krona has also been mentioned and it too might be a nice choice but with reservations. My experience with the Krona has been hit and miss. Of three, one initially exposed more blade on one side than the other. It was not so big a problem that I had an issue with it but I had been using DE razors for decades at the time so just adapted. For someone new to DE shaving I would suggest waiting until you feel very comfortable before trying the Krona.

proxy.php

Some razors I think would suit you are the Feather Popular, the Weishi 9306 and Gillette Super Speeds. You can usually find them these days for under $20.00 easily, and if you invest a Saturday you can likely find a Gillette Super Speed under $5.00.

There is a reason the Gillette Super Speed was made over so many years. and that companies like Feather and Weishi and others copy the design and that is it works, it's forgiving and it is mild. Of those, my Gillette Super Speeds I've been using for almost a half century (maybe more) are still my favorites and among modern razors the Weishi 9306 and Feather Popular are the closest to the old Super Speed standard.

The Schick Krona has also been mentioned and it too might be a nice choice but with reservations. My experience with the Krona has been hit and miss. Of three, one initially exposed more blade on one side than the other. It was not so big a problem that I had an issue with it but I had been using DE razors for decades at the time so just adapted. For someone new to DE shaving I would suggest waiting until you feel very comfortable before trying the Krona.

proxy.php

We share the same DE philosophy. I honestly thought I was alone and in the minority at best.

Let us know how the Popular works out. I have a number of razors, but the Popular is pretty much all I ever use.

Let us know how the Popular works out. I have a number of razors, but the Popular is pretty much all I ever use.

Good to know! It should be here by the end of next week. I'm noticing on other boards and groups that other people are having the same problems I had with the EJ so maybe it's not just me. I really want to have one DE that I can use.

One more thing. I think that the Feather Popular works best with the sharper blades, but they don't necessarily have to be super sharp, like the Feather. My Popular works just fine with Astra SP blades.

One more thing. I think that the Feather Popular works best with the sharper blades, but they don't necessarily have to be super sharp, like the Feather. My Popular works just fine with Astra SP blades.

I'll be sticking with Feathers. :)

I haven't had consistent results with my Krona.

I just got a 40s NDC Super Speed. It is excellent. Mild, comfortable, efficient. I am using it this month.

The Weishi 9306 is surprisingly good. Mild yet efficient.

The Gillette Knack that I have is hit-or-miss like my Krona. I don't like the tapered handle. It is a birth-year razor, so I'll never get rid of it.

The Feather Popular is as good as the Weishi. It is very mild, but it gets the job done. I have had some of the best, and most comfortable, BBS shaves with the Popular and a GSB with La Toja shave stick. I took this setup with me on vacation 2 years ago, and was rewarded with my best shaves ever.

I need to revisit the Feather Popular. I only got bad shaves with it when I used a Feather blade. Those blades just do not work for me in any razor.

Looking forward to your review. I haven't dug my Popular out for a while, but I do remember it being mild - milder than even my Blue Tip but with some time and attention it was more than capable.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And it's always about the blade/razor combination ...

Shaved with a Nacet over the weekend, in a close-shaving NEW SC. Surprised to get some rash/aggravation, then I remembered I don't like these Nacets- they're rough. I know a lot of people DO like them, so maybe I got a bad batch or something ... since life's too short for bad shaves, I went to toss the blade.

Then I remembered something, and got my mildest razor - the Feather Popular.

Put that "bad" Nacet in the Pop, and got a great, comfortable, close shave with it today. Reasonably close. No rash.

It's always the combo, the sum of parts- this mystery of a great shave.

AA

Today was the first use of the feather popular. Bought it from 'bay japan for about 10 bucks and had it for a month in the closet . I had taken 2 days off work so i decided to try it. Loaded a feather blade and used a basic combination : Cella soap and Omega boar 10049 for face lathering . For every new razor /blade i use i always start with that combination of soap and brush because i know its consistency and if the razor manages to do a smooth atg pass then i consider it a keeper .

The razor is a lot lighter than my fatip piccolo but it feels solid and right balanced. With the first stroke down my cheek i new that this was a very very smooth razor.

Did a 3 pass wtg-xtg-atg and it was a good bbs irritation free shave. Not so close as my piccolo but a lot smoother.

I my opinion for someone who starts in wet shaving and wants a daily smooth-but-effective razor the feather popular is an excellent choice.

popular.jpg

Top Bottom