What's new

Thoughts on the Feather Popular?

Yes, it's probably been asked one million times before, so let's go for one million and one!

Ok, so I've given my EJ several chances after giving up on it several times. Every time I use it I get bad razor bumps and irritation, so much that it's required a trip to the doctor. No cart or disposable has ever done this to me.

So, should I decide to give it one more go around, would the Feather Popular be a good choice? I need something that's super gentle, yet shaves well.

I think it was impossible to hurt yourself with it. The FP with a feather blade is a great mild and efficient shave. I only have two DE's and that is one of them. Love it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's my no-loss travel razor.

Mild, yes, but well-matched with its own Feather blades.

Do try with a ho-hum Astra, Derby etc. If the feather doesn't suit.

AA

IME, the EJ89 was a bit more aggressive and efficient.
My Feather Popular does a good job but I feel like I had to work too hard to match the 89.
I gave away the 89 and kept the Popular.. mostly for sentimental reasons as it was the first NIB razor I got.
Now that I have nearly a dozen injectors and another dozen DEs... The Popular is just a museum piece.

I have a EJ89 and hate it. Rips and tugs at my beard no matter what blade I put in it.

I can warmly recommend the Feather Popular, I use it for traveling and SWMBO uses it for her shaving needs. Looking only at the quality of the shave, the Popular would be all I would ever need.
The problem I have with it is that I like a sollid feel, a bit of heft and feeling of quality in my razors. There the Popular scores too low for me.
Another razor you can consider is the Weishi 9306, it's very mild and still efficient and has the weight I like in a razor.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I don't have any at the moment, and the camera on my phone is a bit of a joke. It's a DE86. Do you think something might be wrong with it?
Pretty black handle.

I have the DE 89LBL which has the lined handle and is bright and shiny. Honestly, it and the Merkur sisters (23C & 34C) haven't impressed me at all. Among modern razors I find I use the Feather Popular and the Weishi 9306 far more often and with far better results than the EJ89LBL or the Merkur sisters. The EJ and Merkurs have been relegated to the Guest Bathroom where they really look impressive.

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Yes, it's probably been asked one million times before, so let's go for one million and one!

Ok, so I've given my EJ several chances after giving up on it several times. Every time I use it I get bad razor bumps and irritation, so much that it's required a trip to the doctor. No cart or disposable has ever done this to me.

So, should I decide to give it one more go around, would the Feather Popular be a good choice? I need something that's super gentle, yet shaves well.
Is your EJ your first safety razor? How long have you been using it? How's your technique and lathering going? All good things to think about when your getting irritation. The EJ is pretty mild so there even may be an issue with the razor alignment.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pretty black handle.

I have the DE 89LBL which has the lined handle and is bright and shiny. Honestly, it and the Merkur sisters (23C & 34C) haven't impressed me at all. Among modern razors I find I use the Feather Popular and the Weishi 9306 far more often and with far better results than the EJ89LBL or the Merkur sisters. The EJ and Merkurs have been relegated to the Guest Bathroom where they really look impressive.

proxy.php

I can honestly say a Gillette Good News gives me a 1000 times better shave than the DE86. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The EJ certainly looks nice (I really like the look of the black handle), but it just does not give me a good shave at all. I'm willing to try the Feather Popular and see how it goes, and it if works out I'll maybe try other more expensive razors. At this point though, I just don't want to shell out a ton of money on something else.

Is your EJ your first safety razor? How long have you been using it? How's your technique and lathering going? All good things to think about when your getting irritation. The EJ is pretty mild so there even may be an issue with the razor alignment.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think my technique is alright, but who knows.

I can honestly say a Gillette Good News gives me a 1000 times better shave than the DE86. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The EJ certainly looks nice (I really like the look of the black handle), but it just does not give me a good shave at all. I'm willing to try the Feather Popular and see how it goes, and it if works out I'll maybe try other more expensive razors. At this point though, I just don't want to shell out a ton of money on something else.

If you want to continue the chase, Schick Injectors could be put in the back of your mind.

Top Bottom