What's new

Thoughts on merkur progress or mergress?

Brother Wolf,

I'd like to hear more about the "why" of your enjoying shaving with the Variant far more than the Progress.
Gladly, the variant has a grippier knurled handle. The adjustment knob on the variant is tighter and less likely to slip. The variant is heavier, and I prefer heavy as a rule.

Gladly, the variant has a grippier knurled handle. The adjustment knob on the variant is tighter and less likely to slip. The variant is heavier, and I prefer heavy as a rule.

For the money the Variant is excellent. I think you can only do better when you get up to almost double the price for a gamechanger or some food vintage equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat the vintage adjustables either. After all it's what the new ones are based on.

Maybe that's worth a completely different thread. I would be torn between the sheer beauty of the "real thing" (finding a vintage, restoring it to the original splendor...) and the efficiency of just picking "modern version" of it (premium materials, immaculate aestetics, technical perfection).

First world problems of course, if/when it happens it will be another interesting discovery journey.

Man, I love my Progress. Can't believe it took me all these years to try one. I tried the Variant but I didn't like it as well as the Progress.

My progress is now my go to razor. I've got a boat load of vintage gillettes including a slim,black beauty and fat boy and prefer the merkur over all of them! Infact,its lead to me having a massive razor cull/ebay selling beano.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My progress is now my go to razor. I've got a boat load of vintage gillettes including a slim,black beauty and fat boy and prefer the merkur over all of them! Infact,its lead to me having a massive razor cull/ebay selling beano.
This! I have Slims, Fat boys, and even a mint cased Toggle. The Progress shaves better than them all. Not my go-to razor by a long shot. But it’s my go-to adjustable for sure.

I used the Progress this morning. For some reason now it tightens down to setting 1 -- it used to be near 2 -- so when I used settings 3, 2.5, and 2, it was close to a whole setting higher than I used earlier in my time with this razor. Still it gave a very close and comfortable shave. I suspect it's better used on a 48-hour beard for me. Today's was a 36, and I did nick my lower throat very mildly, so mildly that I didn't realize it until I was splashing on my Clubman.

A grand razor it is.

Never tried a Progress. I had been planning to buy one when I stumbled on an auction with a lot of 3 razors (Slim Adjustable, Ball End Gold Tech, and Mergress XL) for $50. Other than one under the nose nick this week (trying to rush), the Mergress has moved to near the top of my rotation (and I have almost 200 razors, vintage and modern).

Never tried a Progress. I had been planning to buy one when I stumbled on an auction with a lot of 3 razors (Slim Adjustable, Ball End Gold Tech, and Mergress XL) for $50. Other than one under the nose nick this week (trying to rush), the Mergress has moved to near the top of my rotation (and I have almost 200 razors, vintage and modern).
My only issue with my Mergress is that it’s not the XL. Love my Mergress but prefer a longer handled razor

Top Bottom