What's new

Thoughts on merkur progress or mergress?

Used the Progress again today. Holding the cap at each end, thus keeping personal fingers away from the blade, I was able to tighten the razor down a little more so that the 1.5 mark was opposite the little dot. Then I loosened it about 1/2 a setting to make my first pass on a 24-hour beard; tightened it back down for pass 2 on my lower lip and throat. Quite excellent.

I did notice this time that the handle is a little slippery when my fingers are covered with soap -- not so much when I'm actually shaving, but when I'm swishing the razor in my sink water and preparing to deploy it again. Not really a problem. I used Erasmic soap from the red-topped tub this morning, and it seems a bit more slippery than Tabac anyway.

I see I posted last on June 1, so this will make a good bookend: The Merkur Progress continues to impress. Today, with a Personna blade and a 48-hour beard softened by Tabac in stick form, I achieved a superbly smooth shave. I am glad I picked this razor up before it either goes out of production or gets snapped up and cheaply produced by some Asian company -- and prices go out of sight.

I'm very close to my next purchase, a Merkur Progress. I think I like the base "plastic knob" option better than the Parker Variant, but I'm still evaluating purchasing a Mergress instead.

At 130$ it would basically be twice the cost of a Progress, plus shipping from the US to Italy, plus customs.

How much should I value the upgrades in your opinion/experience?

I'm very close to my next purchase, a Merkur Progress. I think I like the base "plastic knob" option better than the Parker Variant, but I'm still evaluating purchasing a Mergress instead.

At 130$ it would basically be twice the cost of a Progress, plus shipping from the US to Italy, plus customs.

In my view it is not worth the modification because I like the ivory knob and balance of the original.
Here is a thought, take the knob off and approach a local machine shop to see if they will make a knob to your design, in brass or stainless steel , for you. It will probably work out cheaper. Get them to make 5 and sell the spares on the BST section.
There is someone on this forum from Europe who makes stainless steel handles. The numbers can be centre punched dots at 45 degree points round the knob as reference points. Send him a sketch via PM and see if he will make a knob for you; don't have his name to hand at the moment. :wink2:

Last edited:
I would basically move from being a client to being a competitor:) Following a little bit your thought process, I found a european-based modification called "Digress".

These folk (in Dundee) do a very similar work: they replace the knob with a metal one, with long/short steel/brass options. They also do the recentering magic to the handle, so the numbers actually match the aggressiveness.

Apparently I could even buy a Progress, see if I can live with the yellow plastic know, and eventually have them upgrade if for me later.

I will look for some more info on B&B and see if they could make the deal a little less painful for my wallet.

Very limited Forum-edition for the new and very active German forum
DSC01563.JPG
DSC01566.JPG
DSC01569.JPG

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had a long handle progress which was a good shaver. I then got a Mergress with the regular length handle and the long knob. Both razors were approximately the same overall length. The Mergress had such better balance and face feel. And it shaved much better in my opinion. Passed the stock Progress on to a friend, because I knew I’d never use it again. So yeah, the upgrades made a big difference in performance to me.

Love my long-handled Progress, shaves great and the plastic knob has a retro look to me that I love (one man's poison is another man's treasure, right??) Speaking of retro, I love the old Gillette FatBoys and Slims just as much when it comes to adjustables.

I contemplated the Mergress for a while but the price put me off ($70 for a handsome knob) I then decided to go all in and got a Rex Ambassador. I never looked back, it’s the all time adjustable razor in my opinion

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Like you, I was concerned about the quality of the Progress and the cost of the Mergress. Thus, I purchased a Parker Variant and never looked back. The quality is very good and the price is reasonable. Equipped with the right blade for your beard, it will give a great shave.
The Parker is a very nice looking razor.

Is the mergress still available? Who owns the rights? Last j heard lee's razors took over for mer for sales but now I don't know. Saw bulgoose has them, but they seem alot more expensive than they were when I got mine.
And by the way I also have a regular long handle and a short handle progress.
Short handle is the new version after the mold change. Besides being at a different position at zero tightened down than my other 2 (long and mergress) it shaves identically. (Just need to subtract "1" from my settings with my other 2.)

yep, bullgoose. yep, pretty expensive:)
As far as I remember it only cost 35 over the cost of the progress at the time.
Or 35 to send yours in and have it converted. But that was back in 2015.
Also grabbed the rex ambassador. Just nuts the quality of that thing!!!
Just shaved with progress today!!! Great shave. GREAT audible feedback on that razor. And when dialed up, you can take down some serious beard!!!

As far as I remember it only cost 35 over the cost of the progress at the time.
Or 35 to send yours in and have it converted. But that was back in 2015.

As I wrote above, I can now buy 2 standard Progress in Europe with the cost of 1 Mergress. Plus very likely the import duties will set me back about one more Merkur DE.

That's one expensive knob man, you have to really hate yellow plastic:)

As I wrote above, I can now buy 2 standard Progress in Europe with the cost of 1 Mergress. Plus very likely the import duties will set me back about one more Merkur DE.

That's one expensive knob man, you have to really hate yellow plastic:)
Yeah I can't be sure but I think I only paid like $90USD for mine.

For the price you're talking just get the rex ambassador!!! Haha.

I do love my progresses but at that price I may not have any.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Personally, I would go with the Parker Variant for $57. I've seen them in person and think they are very nice looking, but have never shaved with either. I was looking at the Merkur and Parker adjustable razors a couple if years ago, but then the Rockwell razors came out and I went with them.

You may want to try The Gentleman’s Groom Room. Just ask if they have any I stock. You wouldn’t have to worry about customs charges ast they are in Scotland. Shipping should be reasonable too

Top Bottom