What's new

Those small omega boar brushes. Are they any good?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

Mine is the Mighty Midget. $7. Works great. I added three #14 O-rings. This brush has loads of backbone and needs a good bit of breaking in before it becomes really soft, but it is an excellent brush. It's very small overall, but it hits way above its size. That's partly because the knot is not that small at 24mm. I like mine a lot.

It's a brush which can be used with very minimal break in, or none, but it improves with more breaking in. Depends on your tolerance for scritch. I like very little scritch and a ton of backbone. This is a very scrubby brush. I use it for face lathering.

The O-rings might improve the grip (which doesn't need improving). Mostly they look cool.

This Mighty Midget may be out of stock, but usually you can find one if you look around. Link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Go even smaller. I love my 10086, with the 18 mm x 42 mm boar knot.

On the other hand, I rarely use the 10049. Just too big and floppy. I should pif it to a theatre company for a prop, due to its high visibility.

They are cheaper but I read that the smaller ones don't hold enough lather for 3 or 4 passes. Is this true?
What you call "smaller" brushes are what most people consider normal brushes.

As others have correctly stated, any boar brush in the 20-22mm diameter and 50-55mm loft range should have no problems holding 4 passes of lather from a single load. I can easily get 4 passes from the "tiny" Omega Bambino.

The Omega 11126 is awesome. 24 mm knot and requires very little break in. It's super soft with an ergonomic handle that would provide a better grip than the smaller brushes.

The Omega 11126 is awesome. 24 mm knot and requires very little break in. It's super soft with an ergonomic handle that would provide a better grip than the smaller brushes.
But it has a black dyed band. What is that for? No one seems to like those with Black bands.

But it has a black dyed band. What is that for? No one seems to like those with Black bands.
Normally I don't care for them. The dark band is done to make it resemble badger. I don't know how the practice started, and I usually avoid such brushes. This is a good brush though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The banded boars have performed just fine for me, but I dislike them. I will not buy another, and I don't use the ones I have. They seem fake to me and seem designed to be confused with badgers which seems like an insult to a good boar.

Jade.MightyMidget.640.4-18.JPG

Speaking of good boars.

These might be my two favorite Omega brushes.

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

Of my very small brushes this is the favorite. Here it is with O-rings. In the top photo it's without O-rings and shown with the most excellent Omega Premium.

The jade brush is the Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar. Its knot is 27mm. Its loft, 49mm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The banded boars have performed just fine for me, but I dislike them. I will not buy another, and I don't use the ones I have. They seem fake to me and seem designed to be confused with badgers which seems like an insult to a good boar.

View attachment 898735

Speaking of good boars.

These might be my two favorite Omega brushes.

View attachment 898738

Of my very small brushes this is the favorite. Here it is with O-rings. In the top photo it's without O-rings and shown with the most excellent Omega Premium.

The jade brush is the Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar. Its knot is 27mm. Its loft, 49mm.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I felt very lonesome about Midget love until now. If you like boar and small handled brushes it is a great little brush. And very inexpensive.

Top Bottom