What's new

Omega 10066 with a bigger handle

I'm in search of a Boar brush that has the same characteristics of the 10066, but with a handle similar to the 10049. The 10066 is one of my go-to brushes for sure. The issue I'm having is that the handle doesn't always feel the most comfortable while lathering. This wasn't an issue years ago when I started this journey. I guess my hands are just getting older and don't get along with the smaller handles like they used to.

Anyway, I have been using the 49 more lately, and find that it doesn't create the discomfort in my hand like the 66. I know I could just switch to larger brushes like the 49 and be fine, I just really enjoy everything about the 66 other than the handle size.

Does Omega make such a brush?

Thanks

Calling @ivan_101.

I bought the 10005 thinking it was that brush, but although the dimensions are similar the knot is very different. The 10081 might be the one you want. I would have one myself but it seems to be out of stock in Europe at the moment - hopefully they are still making it.

The 80080 beehive might be a good match. The 10081 is a slightly smaller version. If you want to go with a larger brush, maybe go for the Proraso Pro instead of the 49.

1702157613243.png

Come in, @ivan_101...

I'm in search of a Boar brush that has the same characteristics of the 10066, but with a handle similar to the 10049. The 10066 is one of my go-to brushes for sure. The issue I'm having is that the handle doesn't always feel the most comfortable while lathering. This wasn't an issue years ago when I started this journey. I guess my hands are just getting older and don't get along with the smaller handles like they used to.

Anyway, I have been using the 49 more lately, and find that it doesn't create the discomfort in my hand like the 66. I know I could just switch to larger brushes like the 49 and be fine, I just really enjoy everything about the 66 other than the handle size.

Does Omega make such a brush?

Thanks
There is no such brush, because the 10066 is 24/55 and all the brushes that have the big 10049 handle have a 27mm diameter. If that is not a problem for you, then the Proraso brush (27/57) might be suitable.
The 10081 @Goblin suggested might be suitable for you as it is 24/55. But it is not a handle as big as on the 10049 etc.

@Goblin
'Europe' is a vast term. 10081 is not discontinued and is currently available in at least 4 online stores in Europe.

Last edited:
I had the 80080 and it was the same as the 10081. Not longer, not shorter. The 80080 comes with a stand, the 10081 without.

You know, the question is: "what is a good brush for the OP?" Not: "who can Ivan prove wrong today?". Good grief! Even if what you say is true, then either brush could work for the OP!

I've got both brushes here, side-by-side. The 80080 is slightly larger. That must be why the 10081 is called the "baby beehive".

Here is the info I have:

Omega 10081
109x56x53x23
23/56

Omega 80080
112x58x54x25
25/58

I expect you will take issue.

'Europe' is a vast term. 10081 is not discontinued and is currently available in at least 4 online stores in Europe.

That's good - a Google search only showed me places showing "out of stock", and neither rasiogoodfellas nor connaughts seem to have it, so I did wonder! Maggards seems to have it though, assuming OP is in the USA.

That's good - a Google search only showed me places showing "out of stock", and neither rasiogoodfellas nor connaughts seem to have it, so I did wonder! Maggards seems to have it though, assuming OP is in the USA.
Polish, Greek and one in Slovakia.

I've got both brushes here, side-by-side. The 80080 is slightly larger. That must be why the 10081 is called the "baby beehive".

There does seem to be a difference in specs:

That said, I have found Omega lofts can vary quite a bit from their specs. In fact, note the comments on their site:

1702161919258.png

🤷‍♂️

Back to possible brushes, we are forgetting the 10108. Nice big handle, in fact slightly bigger overall than the 10049, but with a short loft: 27x56.

1702162483317.png

That said, I have found Omega lofts can vary quite a bit from their specs. In fact, note the comments on their site:
Different batches of the same model number have +/- 2mm loft variation. With the professional models it is even +/- 3mm

Also, I have an older and a newer 10075 - the handle is from different moulds - it is a two part plastic construction and the upper part is shorter on the old mould. 44.8mm overall handle height vs 47.3mm on the newer mould.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a representative 80080 "in the field". Maybe it will help someone. I don't want to argue over fairly small details.

1702163144415.png

There does seem to be a difference in specs:

View attachment 1761653

🤷‍♂️

Back to possible brushes, we are forgetting the 10108. Nice big handle, in fact slightly bigger overall than the 10049, but with a short loft: 27x56.

View attachment 1761659
I like the handle for sure .

So it looks like no such brush is offered by Omega. Thank you for all the info provided. I'll Take a look at some offerings from other manufacturers and see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom