What's new

This must be a record....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Within three days I have replaced both of our TV's. The one in the living room was Sunday and the one in the bedroom today. WOW.
In the olden days, you got a new TV , took it out of the box, plugged it in the wall outlet, put the antennae in and you were ready to watch TV.
The set up on Sunday took me over two hours. One part that took long was that they have changed the screws/bolts for the wall mount from fractional to metric....so off to HD and I was able to find the four needed M8x1.25 20 mm long screws. This really pissed me off as the old TV was the same brand....
Then the set up....took also a very long time until everything was put in (just using the remote and going up/down for all the passwords and other needed inputs. Today was faster as this one just stands inside a cabinet, so need for wall mounting. Still took a good 45 minutes to get everything done.
Miss the old days....

I replaced a TV this week as well. Had the other one for ~13 years. Went to do some research ahead of visiting the store, and had no clue what any of the acronyms actually meant. Still not sure I fully understand what they all mean. Not to mention that since the screens are so small now, some of them don't even really have speakers. At least, that's what the damn sales person convinced me of. I imagine I'll end up kicking myself for picking that extra up...
Anyway, mine is being delivered tomorrow morning. It's not going to be wall mounted, so that should help a bit with the setup as you mentioned. Maybe I'll get it set up in time to watch Kenobi.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Streaming is nice, and it's nice I can play video or music on the TV' from my networked PC's and External Hard Drives, but yeah... set up is a pain.
Not to mention that some schmo at corporate can change your menus all around without warning with a system "update".
Plenty of stuff they COULD improve, but no, changing your menus around is more important.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I love it though. I’d take all this bigger better tech over the days of old every time.

I remember our TV with no clicker. Turning the knob on the tv itself. And the giant big screen TV that was the size of a car and weighed the same.

Our first “flat screen” was like 32” and cost around $700 I believe haha. Was still about 8 inches thick. Now you can get a 70” that’s 1.5 inches thick weighing 56lbs for that much.

I stream everything though an Apple TV. Setup is a breeze and operating it is even easier. I don’t long for the days of old even a tiny bit.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love it though. I’d take all this bigger better tech over the days of old every time.

I remember our TV with no clicker. Turning the knob on the tv itself. And the giant big screen TV that was the size of a car and weighed the same.

Our first “flat screen” was like 32” and cost around $700 I believe haha. Was still about 8 inches thick. Now you can get a 70” that’s 1.5 inches thick weighing 56lbs for that much.

I stream everything though an Apple TV. Setup is a breeze and operating it is even easier. I don’t long for the days of old even a tiny bit.
I don't long for the days of old, I just wish they'd leave us old guys and our menus alone!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have no idea what's involved in setting things up these days. I got rid of my gogglebox in 2007/2008. I don't have any streaming subscription services to my computer either. The nearest I come to watching television these days, is sticking a DVD in the laptop.

To be honest, I don't really miss it either. Every few years there might be some televised event (such as the opening ceremony when they held the Olympics here), that I wouldn't mind seeing, but aside from that, I'm glad to be free of it. It's one less thing for me to get angry at, and from what I understand, one less thing trying to accumulate my data too. :lol:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Yeah, prices have come down quite a bit. I remember our first flat screen we paid over $2k for, it was a Sharp Aquos with 26" screen size. The one I replaced Sunday was a Samsung I probably got in 2007 and it was $1200, size was 39" . The replacement now is 43" also a Samsung and it was less than $300 at Costco. Its amazing how good they are now and how cheap.
I think the 43" weighs in at 18 lbs...and the picture quality is superb.

And the cherry on top, today also my laptop died. Odd, always comes in three's...

Yeah, prices have come down quite a bit. I remember our first flat screen we paid over $2k for, it was a Sharp Aquos with 26" screen size. The one I replaced Sunday was a Samsung I probably got in 2007 and it was $1200, size was 39" . The replacement now is 43" also a Samsung and it was less than $300 at Costco. Its amazing how good they are now and how cheap.
I think the 43" weighs in at 18 lbs...and the picture quality is superb.

And the cherry on top, today also my laptop died. Odd, always comes in three's...
I replaced mine with the 43" samsung on sunday. 270.00.
Dealing with the setup menu sucks but after an hour ir so i got all of the wifes channels/apps setup and running. So i think i got the same tv as you. But i still use feet on my tv.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I replaced mine with the 43" samsung on sunday. 270.00.
Dealing with the setup menu sucks but after an hour ir so i got all of the wifes channels/apps setup and running. So i think i got the same tv as you. But i still use feet on my tv.
The remote buttons are pretty small, you could probably cut down on the set up time if you didn't use your feet.

I ❤️ the new television and sound bar technology. Light, thin, amazing picture quality with amazing crisp sound. Now I just need NFL season to kick off.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Haven't had a TV for over fifteen years. I found that I have better things to do with my time that relaxed me.

Try reading a book or playing a game with your partner. Life is some much better then.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I’d take all this bigger better tech over the days of old every time.

I agree. I'll take the relatively momentary mess of setting up in exchange for what it brings. Pretty amazing stuff. Besides, my little brother has moved on to things greater than acting as the family's remote control.

Try reading a book or playing a game with your partner. Life is some much better then.

But you do have a point.

Haven't had a TV for over fifteen years. I found that I have better things to do with my time that relaxed me.

Though we have a TV, I agree. Try a good book or a game. Talk with your kids, grandkids, spouse or “significant other”. My wife and I regularly do puzzles, play dominoes, or read and share what we’re reading. Or go to B&B and share your great, or not so great, shaves!

TV content ain’t what it used to be. Most of what’s on it now wouldn’t have passed the censors 40 years ago, when you could still watch TV with your kids and grandkids. Commercial traffic has more than doubled since I first watched. An hour program is now around 38 minutes after commercials. Turned off the NFL as soon as Kaepernick took a knee without consequence. Turned the rest off as soon as I figured out the programming and the commercials all “got woke”.

But the technology is great. 60 inches of tied-in-to-your house and laptop and smartphone works wonders when you’re trying to show your latest post to B&B to your friends! 😆

Curly Out

We have a 'smart' TV but we're more of a radio listening kinda family. TV gets may be 5 to 8 hrs aweek, but the various radios ,well the kitchen one has been on already since 7am thats early 5 hours already. Bathroom radio again a good hour and so on. I'm not anti TV, I / we just prefer radio.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh and I got to say make sure the smart listening part of the TV is off, listening to you secretly
EfwMmMBUMAUSKqQ.jpg

Top Bottom