What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Thank you, I've decided to go with a Timeless stainless steal instead. I'll have to wait and save a little more but it'll be worth it. Hopefully Matt will make things right by you.

Oh what a choice!!
I will be following you down that road, just love the look of their heads with the soap "trough" under the blade, superb engineering. Then there's the Timeless bronze............. so many razors, so little time (and money!!) and one less wife if she ever finds out how much this "cheaper than cartridge" shaving actually costs!!

Andy.

Damn the rabbit hole is way deeper than I thought. Thanks guys for not only being informative but also frank on paa's shady actions. Now I'm scared I was going to try out the cube but now Ill just stick to proraso.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Man this stuff smells great and performs well, a true treat to use. I've burned through a 12 oz tub and going to buy more. I've got about a hundred shaving soaps and this is the only one I've baught again. Man does that guy know how to make good smelling products.

I have a few PAA soaps and aftershaves but they are too sweet for me.
The cucumber scent is nice, not too sweet, smells just like a fresh cucumber.
The soaps are good performers though.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So I stuck with it for a solid month, finishing my last planned shave with it (for now) yesterday. Despite not wanting too many variables in play, I probably had more than I thought: I'm relatively new to wet shaving, so technique was solidifying. I'd think of some change to make in process and try that.

But I kept the same soap, same razor, and same prep all through. Herewith some of my observations, culled from my shave diary:

Blades -- Merkur, Feather, PolSilver, Astra; approximately a week each. I agree with others, Merkur blades don't seem all that impressive after the first shave. Feather gave me a smooth shave that gradually took a little longer over the next days. PolSilver lived up to its reputation of being a little aggressive followed by being a lot mild. Astra may be the most consistent performer for me, with this razor.

In fact I've saved my used Astra aside to try in a Wardonia that's coming. Since I've got a little interest in duplicating the Wardonia baseplate in a format that will take non-proprietary blades, I'd kinda like to know if I'm actually able to use one!

Aside from blades, over time I got used to how the razor interacts with my head. I mostly do a two-pass, with a bit of ATG on the back. I had problems with the blade skittering ATG, which somewhat resolved by changing my angle to be kind of diagonal on each side of the centre line of the back of my head. Enough ATG to get down close, enough XTG to cut and not skitter. I always get a giggle out of the "ping-ping-ping" of the individual hairs on my temples getting cut.

I have heard and seen some guys shave all with one hand. I'm moderately ambidextrous, so I switch hands and shave the right side with my right hand, left side with left hand. No differences to note particularly, but it's an easy razor to use either way. I can get to "OKFW" pretty quickly, and with some extra time and attention I can get a DFS without extreme irritation.

While I was using this one we had several weeks of below-0F temps and humidities in the 9 per cent range. Scrubbing and scraping my scalp three times a week did leave it rather dry until an hour or so later when it remoisturized. The relative humidity is back up a bit now with some warming, so I'm getting less irritation. I will explore after balms, but didn't want to throw that in the mix just yet.

What's next? Well, going in order I have some SE stuff to go through: 1912 Gem, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, Starling SE, Gem MMCP, and an ATT G1 with both mild and aggressive plates that I'm making a bone handle for. When that Wardonia shows up I'll take a break for it, but mostly I'm just gonna plow...errrr...shave through in the order I acquired them. That way I don't get tempted to buy too many until I've worked through the ones in the queue.

I thought about changing to a somewhat heavier handle, and slightly wished I had gotten the metal version of the razor, but on the whole it was a great experience. Whatever happens I'll keep it because it's a very nice little razor. Thinking ahead to the Wardonia, which is another bakelite razor, this may have been a good training experience in light and sharp.

O.H.

So I stuck with it for a solid month, finishing my last planned shave with it (for now) yesterday. Despite not wanting too many variables in play, I probably had more than I thought: I'm relatively new to wet shaving, so technique was solidifying. I'd think of some change to make in process and try that.

But I kept the same soap, same razor, and same prep all through. Herewith some of my observations, culled from my shave diary:

Blades -- Merkur, Feather, PolSilver, Astra; approximately a week each. I agree with others, Merkur blades don't seem all that impressive after the first shave. Feather gave me a smooth shave that gradually took a little longer over the next days. PolSilver lived up to its reputation of being a little aggressive followed by being a lot mild. Astra may be the most consistent performer for me, with this razor.

In fact I've saved my used Astra aside to try in a Wardonia that's coming. Since I've got a little interest in duplicating the Wardonia baseplate in a format that will take non-proprietary blades, I'd kinda like to know if I'm actually able to use one!

Aside from blades, over time I got used to how the razor interacts with my head. I mostly do a two-pass, with a bit of ATG on the back. I had problems with the blade skittering ATG, which somewhat resolved by changing my angle to be kind of diagonal on each side of the centre line of the back of my head. Enough ATG to get down close, enough XTG to cut and not skitter. I always get a giggle out of the "ping-ping-ping" of the individual hairs on my temples getting cut.

I have heard and seen some guys shave all with one hand. I'm moderately ambidextrous, so I switch hands and shave the right side with my right hand, left side with left hand. No differences to note particularly, but it's an easy razor to use either way. I can get to "OKFW" pretty quickly, and with some extra time and attention I can get a DFS without extreme irritation.

While I was using this one we had several weeks of below-0F temps and humidities in the 9 per cent range. Scrubbing and scraping my scalp three times a week did leave it rather dry until an hour or so later when it remoisturized. The relative humidity is back up a bit now with some warming, so I'm getting less irritation. I will explore after balms, but didn't want to throw that in the mix just yet.

What's next? Well, going in order I have some SE stuff to go through: 1912 Gem, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, Starling SE, Gem MMCP, and an ATT G1 with both mild and aggressive plates that I'm making a bone handle for. When that Wardonia shows up I'll take a break for it, but mostly I'm just gonna plow...errrr...shave through in the order I acquired them. That way I don't get tempted to buy too many until I've worked through the ones in the queue.

I thought about changing to a somewhat heavier handle, and slightly wished I had gotten the metal version of the razor, but on the whole it was a great experience. Whatever happens I'll keep it because it's a very nice little razor. Thinking ahead to the Wardonia, which is another bakelite razor, this may have been a good training experience in light and sharp.

O.H.
Can’t remember if I invited you yet, please join us for Micromatic Monday.

There are more than a few threads on RE's customer service issue here on B&B. In fact there are a couple active threads right now. There is a search function for the forum and any and all info is easily searched...

There was a link posted earlier that has a lot of info in it and there are more threads if you just search customer service issues here on the forum and you'll find plenty of info... Too much out there to make a post about, it would just be too long and probably no one would read the whole thing anyway.... The search function is your friend!!

Sorry to not let this die, but I followed some of the links and read some of the sketchy stuff the guy was accused of doing, but never found anything about faked ingredient lists specifically. I can chalk the other stuff to him being an eccentric marketer, but the ingredient list is pretty sacred to me, so if anyone knows where there's any proof of that, I'd like to see it. I do have to admit that I'd really hate to lose the Chocolate Bourbon scent as I haven't seen anything like it from other vendors :)

I've got two, Classic and Atomic Age. They're very similar to my nose, but the Atomic Age has a deeper, more complex scent.

I have the three that I know of, Classic, Atomic Age & Boomtown. All are great, but I think I prefer the Classic. Like I said, you can't go wrong with any of them. The Boomtown has a note of gunpowder. It's really not bad at all, just a nice change.

My favorite is Coconut Bay, it goes well with Virgin Island Water from Creed, it's definitely better than their regular Bay Rum.

Top Bottom