What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

It looks like not too many people own the Rhodium 6S. Would love to get some feedback from someone who's owned one for a while.
I personally never knew that anyone had one that was Rhodium plated until you posted this thread and as I said above that most platers suggest against putting any kind of plating on a SS razor. I again would suggest you contact other platers to even see if its feasible to do it or not would be where I'd start... The plater I contacted suggested very highly against it because the finish wouldn't last like a Brass razor would...

R

romsitsa

Look at the Rhodium and gold plated samples on RE site. The rhodium is not as bad as the gold, but it’s far from a mirror or perfect finish. Without being mirror like or getting rid of the knock out marks, I see no reason to coat a steel razor.

Adam

I’m not sure why you’re still considering this. Regardless of whether or not Rhodium will stick to SS (not well), you aren’t starting with a polished, smooth surface. Therefore, it’ll be rough looking and that bead blasted surface will lead to even more troubles with adhesion.

Just polish your 6s with Jewelers rougue and 1000 grit paper, and enjoy the mirror like shine of the polished stainless. - They look fantastic polished.

Really, just polish it.

It’s a solid mass of stainless steel. If you polish it, you’ll end up with a nice, durable, shiny finish that can’t ever wear off.

Maybe it won’t quite be rhodium-shiny. But it will be cutlery-level shiny, which is fine by me.

I personally never knew that anyone had one that was Rhodium plated until you posted this thread and as I said above that most platers suggest against putting any kind of plating on a SS razor. I again would suggest you contact other platers to even see if its feasible to do it or not would be where I'd start... The plater I contacted suggested very highly against it because the finish wouldn't last like a Brass razor would...
In a german forum I saw a User showing his Rhodium plated Rockwell, but I never read a feedback on this edition.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Rockwell 6S Double Edge Safety Razor - Rhodium Revamp

I assume, Rhodium on the left, original stainless on the right.

IMG_9542_1__35493.1487368320.1280.1280.jpg

Plated but not polished first? I dont understand why that would be done. As I understand it, Rhodium should gleam brightly.

RazorPlate.com: NEW! - Photo Gallery
IMG_5177.JPG

If someone took their time and did a proper polishing job on stainless steel it will shine almost like a mirror. All I see is a $169USD Rockwell in a different colour.

Rockwell 6S Double Edge Safety Razor - 24K Gold Revamp

The gold plated one is the same for $199.
IMG_0425__21229.1490312693.1280.1280.jpg

I dont personally see the point but hopefully someone can explain it to me. Polished Brass looks nicer to me.

R

romsitsa

It’s polished to some extent. The edges become smooth easily so both gold and rhodium shine on these spots.
If I can make a guess, it’s not worth to sand away the bead blast surface and polish up the whole razor.
From my experince plating alone doesn’t cost much in materials or time, preparing the surface does.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From my experince plating alone doesn’t cost much in materials or time, preparing the surface does.

Which is my whole point. Unless its a stainless steel surface in an industrial machine that needs to be plated to protect against a specific element I see no point in plating anything without first proper polishing and prep.

Anodizing unfinished stainless steel would make more sense to me.

Not to interrupt the typical RE laugh-fest, but...even the favored Evatt screws up. The difference, for me personally, is RE has always stood behind their work. The same can not be said of Evatt. Question his work and he may tell you find another plater, which may put you right back on RE's doorstep to correct Evatt's crappy work.

Of course you can always blame it on the customer....and most of you will. Even though you know little of the situation and that's OK too. I get it.

The bottom line to plating is, don't ever send anything you can't live without because there is a chance it will come back trashed. Some trashed can be corrected...others can't.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not to interrupt the typical RE laugh-fest, but...even the favored Evatt screws up. The difference, for me personally, is RE has always stood behind their work. The same can not be said of Evatt. Question his work and he may tell you find another plater, which may put you right back on RE's doorstep to correct Evatt's crappy work.

Of course you can always blame it on the customer....and most of you will. Even though you know little of the situation and that's OK too. I get it.

The bottom line to plating is, don't ever send anything you can't live without because there is a chance it will come back trashed. Some trashed can be corrected...others can't.

I'm not seeing any 'laugh fest". I'm just simply trying to understand why someone would plate an unfinished, unpolished material. Just to change colours? I dont get it. Whats the advantage?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm not seeing any 'laugh fest". I'm just simply trying to understand why someone would plate an unfinished, unpolished material. Just to change colours? I dont get it. Whats the advantage?
^^^This^^^
...and most reputable platers will tell you it's a bad idea to plate Rhodium over SS. All except Matt @ RE he'll hook you up.

Top Bottom