What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Yeah I’m the sabbatical right now but trust I’m running pretty low on aftershave and I told myself if I run out, then I’m pulling the trigger on something

Sorry to not let this die, but I followed some of the links and read some of the sketchy stuff the guy was accused of doing, but never found anything about faked ingredient lists specifically. I can chalk the other stuff to him being an eccentric marketer, but the ingredient list is pretty sacred to me, so if anyone knows where there's any proof of that, I'd like to see it. I do have to admit that I'd really hate to lose the Chocolate Bourbon scent as I haven't seen anything like it from other vendors :)
I think you would really have to dig for that I saw it when I was looking for information but dont recal where it was from. I just would take my business elsewhere maybe etsy might have what you are looking for?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I think you would really have to dig for that I saw it when I was looking for information but dont recal where it was from. I just would take my business elsewhere maybe etsy might have what you are looking for?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

OK, thanks.

PAA offers samples, that's the way to go! I use the classic and atomic age but they have other varieties you might like, I believe the samples are $.99 so its a cheap sure way to go :a17:

Once again my friend, Scott (who goes by @pbrmhl in these here parts), lent me an expensive and exotic razor. He's basically opened his shave den to me in the kindest manner imaginable. As a result, I've found some very special razors which I'd have never discovered on my own. This time the loan is a rare an no-longer-made stainless Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) Double Open Comb (DOC) Evolution.

When it arrived I began calling it The Mighty DOC because it looked like this:

20190312_213918.jpg

The thing is heavy and solid and even a bit intimidating with that open comb head. In aggression, it's in a class with the most extreme razors.

The thing is I've grown quite spoiled. Ran it first against this elegant monster:

20190312_213933.jpg

That's the Ikon Tech on a bamboo handle. King of my shave jungle! New Dorco 301 blades in both. As you'd expect, the iTech was more efficient and had more blade feel but the PAA DOC Evo was more comfortable. The harsh blade didn't make it easy on either razor, rendering the PAA less than smooth (though smoother of the two).

Next up was this beauty, the one that makes my heart skip a beat:

CGL3 #1.jpg

As you can see, that's my Charcoal Goods Level 3 in bright copper. Ran Astras in both.

The Astra blade took the harsh edge off the DOC Evo but the CGL3 was noticably smoother and more comfortable. It also had more and better blade feel and feedback. Both razors were very efficient. On that score, the result was even.

This morning I stepped way down. To this little beastie:

20190312_214006.jpg

That's the Yaqi Beast. Looks more than a bit like the DOC Evo, though a close look at the heads makes clear that they're not identical. So I figured the shaves would distinguish themselves. Surprisingly they did not, at least not by much. The DOC Evo began with a bit more blade feel but ended with a bit less. It also had more chatter. Both were equally smooth. Bottom line: The Beast produced a shave that was either equal to or slightly better than that of the PAA. Go figure!

I entered this mission thinking the DOC Evo was going to be on my radar until I landed one. At this point, however, I'm feeling content without one. When other high end razors out-shave it and it's equaled by a Zamak headed clone that cost all of $4 ($7 with shipping) for the head alone (plus a two week wait), it's hard to justify whatever it would cost to land one of those PAAs.

Yes, Zamak doesn't last. If we were talking about a $50 2011 R41 versus a $70 Ikon Tech, no question I'd say go for the Tech. When these razors were available at retail, of course the one built to last a lifetime and beyond was a better value than a three to ten year razor. But at $7 a head, shipped, one can easily afford a backup or three.

Tomorrow the DOC Evo runs against a new Pearl OC. Will report back.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stainless PAA DOC Evo. Great razor; one to be proud of. But not so outstanding to be worth whatever it would likely cost to land one. At least that's where I am after three shave-offs. We'll see what insights additional shaves bring.

Great review, Roy! It's probably a good thing that the PAA doesn't ring your bell--I'm sure they're hard to find these days.

Excellent Shave Off Roy!

Your findings are similar to mine and a few others that have used the DOC! I used a Feather or a Polsilver in the razor when I had it in my den and although a highly efficient razor I found it not as good in different areas when compared side by side to some of my other highly efficient razors. To me maneuverability was not up to par with most of the others. Also it’s weight for me was a little to much for my liking similar to another highly efficient SE razor the Claymore. I found with Feathers in them I like the following razors either better or much better than the DOC.
Those are the CG Level 3 OC, 2011 R41, Ikon Tech, Le Cog, Asylum RX, ATT SE2, Wolfman.94 DC and WR2 125/135. Don’t get me wrong I liked it as you do but not enough to search one out and add it to my den.
Oh and loose those Dorcos please my friend!! :lol:
That list is super helpful, Frank. I see my Le Coq made the list of razors as good or better than the DOC in your experience. Of those razors, I've not yet tried the Asylum RX, Wolfman WR2 .125 or .135. As for the others I agree with all except for the R41. That razor and I have not been on the same page. I don't find it too aggressive but rather just not all that effective. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

As for the Dorcos, they're almost gone. Have probably five or so more tucks, each 10 blades, and I'm too stinkin' cheap to let perfectly good blades go to waste. Well, perfectly adequate blades. Not what any sane person would call "good" in terms of experience but they produce a decent shave.

Great review, Roy! It's probably a good thing that the PAA doesn't ring your bell--I'm sure they're hard to find these days.
I'm sure you're right. Was trying to figure out how I was going to replace yours if my father-in-law flaked on putting in the drawer for safekeeping. Fortunately my ever-helpful and trustworthy wife jumped right on it and forwarded it safely across four time zones and 2500 miles.

Will shave with it some more between now and our upcoming adventure. Perhaps the Mighty DOC will grow on me.

This morning, ran the DOC against another one of my cheap Zamak razors, this time the Pearl OC:

20190312_232647.jpg

Was my first spin with the Pearl and this time I can safely report that the DOC smoked it! Was disappointed in the Pearl. Offered very little blade feel and the shave was a bit less close than that produced by the DOC. Even if it had shaved as well or better than the DOC, I'd have been disappointed with the Pearl because it felt like I was shaving with a wet pencil barrel. Had to take it on faith that the thing was cutting.

I've no doubt that, for some, this would be the perfect razor. It's the high end of smooth when you don't know there's a blade against your throat. Just not my cup of tea. Fortunately it's one of those cheap razors I can safely try on my own, without relying on the kindness of shave brothers.

At this point, for me, among cheap Zamak products, the Yaqi Beast is my undisputed champion and dedicated travel razor. It's less than two hairs from a camel's tail different from the DOC Evo in terms of shave experience and result at a fraction of the cost.

Haha! Of course you know I’m just busting your chops about the Dorcos as I knew you had a bunch to get through.

I don’t know what it iis with the 2011 R41... I love the one I have and better than the 2103 model. I wonder if maybe you got a dud razor. Happens and the fact it’s Zamak could have had inconsistencies in their production. Just saying.

Love that Le Cog!! So maneuverable and smooth and yet vary efficient all in one razor. Can’t ask for much more!

All good my friend!
You know I've not tried the Le Coq (by the way, that's a "q" -- "Le Coq" French for "The ****", seriously!) since retrieving the box you sent it home in. I've had all my focus on its box-mate, the DOC Evo. Which is as it should be given that little Le Coq is mine. :0)

From the Urban Dictionary: Le Coq is a french word meaning "The ****" usually a title given to a man who is known to have a large Penis.

Haha! Thanks for the description! You just changed my vision of a sexy French Lady! Remember I gave that Le Coq ( a typo ) a ladies name but I can’t remember my nickname for the razor but I’m telling you take that razor for a spin..... with a FEATHER in it.. it’s very light and I’m usually not good with that but for some odd reason it didn’t bother me even a little bit with that razor.
If it’s ok I’ll keep my original image of that razor intact lol
Claudette! :001_302:

Yes, the way a razor hits me at a moment can vary and associations can include either gender as well as inanimate objects. The WR1 .94 was Chuck Connors while the CGL3 SB was the French actress Fanny Valette. And I'm 100% convinced the CG is the spitting razor embodiment of Ms. Valette, right down to the DNA.

Behold:

CGL3 #1.jpg

and:

Fanny .jpg

Spooky, huh? {slow affirmative nods accompanied by slightly creepy smile}

Top Bottom