What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

R

romsitsa

Hello,

plating won't alter the surface structure of the metal, ie. if it's satin, it will remain satin. For a bright coating the steel should be polished to a high shine. Judging by the finished razor available on RE, I wouldn't let them polish any of my razors.

Adam

Do you plan on him plating your 6S?

Keep in mind that the bead blasted finish is designed to hide imperfections in the MIM production process. Additionally, due to that same finish, you’re not going to receive a smooth finish once plated. The plating is very thin and you’re going to find it isn’t smooth and doesn’t fully cover the rougher matte finish once complete, unless it was fully polished prior, which I doubt they are going to do. And it wouldn’t be worth the cost IMO.

Last edited:
I have read from several jewelry websites that Rhodium does not plate well over SS and that the SS should be plated with nickel or gold before applying Rhodium. I don’t know if RE does this , it would be worth asking.
I have some experience in this area. The above is true concerning Rhodium. However, any reliable plated will put on a base cost of likely nickel and then apply the Rhodium.

Hello,

plating won't alter the surface structure of the metal, ie. if it's satin, it will remain satin. For a bright coating the steel should be polished to a high shine. Judging by the finished razor available on RE, I wouldn't let them polish any of my razors.

Adam
Adam you said that just in time. I live near RE and was going to drop one off .

I polished my 6S and it shaves a bit smoother. Thats what I think anyway. I didnt polished it smooth but polished it shiny. You can still see some imperfections but it looks way better anyhow. Not sure if Rhodium is worth it in the long run though.

Do you plan on him plating your 6S?

Keep in mind that the bead blasted finish is designed to hide imperfections in the MIM production process. Additionally, due to that same finish, you’re not going to receive a smooth finish once plated. The plating is very thin and you’re going to find it isn’t smooth and doesn’t fully cover the rougher matte finish once complete, unless it was fully polished prior, which I doubt they are going to do. And it wouldn’t be worth the cost IMO.
If anything I'll buy an already plated one. Maybe I should just keep my stock 6S and save that money for something else. Unless someone here can convince me otherwise :)

Wow I have to say this is eye opening.
Used it for the 1st time yesterday and it was as advertised.
Nice HOT lather. So happy I spent 25 bucks on this then ANOTHER soap to add to my many many.
It took me away how big it is. But it is a solid really pretty bowl.
Yes you do have to prep it. Soak it empty it then refill the small hole. But the end result really was a wow factor. Was like going to a barber and remember when he has warm lather out of some machine.
That is on your brush and to your face.
Yes oh yes.

latherer here but I also enjoy hot lather, that’s why I got the PAA brush scuttle. Smaller package same result, good price!

7E98FE4E-82DE-4C31-BF53-50BDF8378EBA.jpeg
Face

I too was told by a reputable re-plater that it was a bad idea to put Rhodium on a SS razor. Was told it wouldn't last and would show wear very fast. It might be worth sending a message to a few different platers and get an overall consensus if its a good or bad idea!!

Top Bottom