What's new

The Winter Hat

Winter is here. Snow is on the ground. It's cold out. I'm going to need to pull out the snow blower in the next month. That said, I'm in the market for a winter hat that will keep the wind out of my face and keep my head warm. Right now I am looking at this badboy:
proxy.php

Anybody have one of these? This one supposedly has a rabbit hair lining, so it looks nice and toasty. How do you like it? What other kinds of winter hats do you guys like to wear (emphasis on function over style)?

As one born and bred in the Great White North I must say that that is a crazy hat sir, the likes of which I've never seen. :thumbup1: I can't think of anything warmer.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a tuque made for Guinness when I bought 8 cans from Loblaws 5-6 years ago. That was the warmest tuque I ever had (still have it). It's a bit warm for the weather down under!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not to bash Filson, but their hats don't step up for deep-cold warmth the way the OP's suggestion would . If the rabbit fur goes all the way around, you are probably good to go. I have a similar hat made entirely of shearling, and when the temperature goes down down down and the wind howls ... I'm cold everywhere except my head. :thumbup:

Is that the one from LL Bean? If so, a couple of reviews say that it sheds a lot of fur. Can anyone shed any light on that?

I bought mine last year from a local manufacturer called Crown Cap.

View attachment 78339

It is sheared beaver. The flaps tie up for when it is not too cold. It feels great and works wonderfully. Highly recommended. I popped in to the warehouse to pick it up and there were parcels there headed for all parts of the globe.

They are here. Click on "warehouse" in the upper right corner to look at what they make.

I have this:

proxy.php

But mine is made by Mad Bomber. It keeps me too warm to the point of sweating. I've received funny looks wearing it but as I've aged, I've realized you can poke fun at me, but I'm warmer than you.:lol:

But mine is made by Mad Bomber. It keeps me too warm to the point of sweating. I've received funny looks wearing it but as I've aged, I've realized you can poke fun at me, but I'm warmer than you.:lol:

Looks like it's right from the steppes.

What kind of fur is that?

Mr Amazing...to answer your question about the hat: It is a Mad Bomber hat. They do have rabbit fur, and they are quite warm. I have had one for years, and wear it every winter.

I would highly recommend it, since if you want to keep warm, you wouldn't find a much better hat out there for keeping winter's cold chills at bay.

Is that the one from LL Bean? If so, a couple of reviews say that it sheds a lot of fur. Can anyone shed any light on that?

The one LL Bean sells is actually a Mad Bomber hat. I'd been wanting it for awhile, and had a chance to check it out at their store. It DOES shed a lot of hair, just by handling it in the store! I don't know if that stops after awhile or not.

ps...I didn't buy it.

Top Bottom