What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

The Winning grew on me. I wanted to like it but didn't have good early experienced with an Astra or a Kai. I went ahead and tried it with a Feather after seeing some good comments and it totally made the razor. Fantastic buy for what you get, especially on sale.
I know exactly what you mean. I wasn't crazy about it at first either. Today I used it with a Wizamet on it's sixth shave and it was my best shave all week both in terms of closeness and comfort.

Very interesting thread and I'm intrigued by the geometry of the Winning and the Henson. I enjoyed the video by Fayiz. Questions:

1) It seems as though the choice between Henson and Winning boils down to preference of handle length and overall weight of the razor. True?

2) The blade exposure reminds me of the look of the Bic Sensitive disposable. Is the Bic shave a reasonable approximation of the Winning shave?

3) The "stick" of the razor to the skin kind of reminds me of the way an SE like the GEM is used. Is this an accurate way to describe the stickiness?

4) Does the Winning offer any advantage in comfort and efficiency over the Gillette Tech?

Thanks!

I found the Winning has more of the "suction" feeling than the Henson. The weight difference is significant. The Winning feels "stockier," but not in any awkward way; just more heft to it. The smooth feel and efficiency of the Winning gives an astoundingly satisfying result; probably more efficient than the Henson in my use. The only thing I do not like about the Winning is the feel during the shave, but that is something totally subjective.

There was a recent comp of the Winning and Henson on Sharpologist and, as I recall, he polished the Winning and reported less drag as a result. Might be less of a "suction" effect if you want to get that bad boy smoothed out and shiny.

Very interesting thread and I'm intrigued by the geometry of the Winning and the Henson. I enjoyed the video by Fayiz. Questions:

1) It seems as though the choice between Henson and Winning boils down to preference of handle length and overall weight of the razor. True?

2) The blade exposure reminds me of the look of the Bic Sensitive disposable. Is the Bic shave a reasonable approximation of the Winning shave?

3) The "stick" of the razor to the skin kind of reminds me of the way an SE like the GEM is used. Is this an accurate way to describe the stickiness?

4) Does the Winning offer any advantage in comfort and efficiency over the Gillette Tech?

Thanks!

1) For me, True. I get equivalent shaves from both, but the feel in my hand is different and I prefer the Winning on that basis.

2) Never used a Bic.

3) Pretty much. A GEM, a Henson, and a Winning all have a comparatively large metal-to-skin contact footprint. They don't really "stick" but you are going to find more friction than you would if just the safety bar and the blade edge were in contact with your skin.

4) Maybe a little. Not a lot. Techs are my favorite vintage razors. I reliably get DFS to BBS shaves with both.

Reactions: tm3

Thanks!
1) I believe you are correct.

2) No idea

3) No idea

4) I find both to be comfortable but the winning gives me a hands down better/closer shave.

I find the Henson and the Winning Razor to be completely different in feel. Ok, both have the same style of head and blade positions, but the feel is different. The Winning gives me more blade feel and a noticeably closer shave.

Thanks!
The Henson AL13 can be had in either a mild or medium configuration. Both have a positive blade exposure, more for the medium than the mild of course. The Winning razor has a neutral blade exposure so by definition it is milder than either Henson razor. I struggled with irritation using the medium Henson. I would get three good shaves then one where I ended up reaching for some aftershave balm. It has been a while since I used that Henson, I gifted it away. I had a little irritation for my first two or three shaves with the Winning razor and none since. The Winning razor, despite having a neutral blade exposure, gives me the closest shaves of any razor that I have used to date. How it does that, I am not sure, but for me it does. Like the Sharpologist review, I too added an aftermarket handle that suits me better than the stock handle that comes on the Winning Razor. YMMV

Thanks!

I guess I have a different experience. For me there is no comparison between the Henson and Winning razors.....Henson hands down. I found the Winning razor too bulky and a bit lack luster on the performance side. I ended up returning it. Love my Henson razors though....super smooth and efficient without the bulk. Now the regular Yates 921 razor is very good and resides in my den as well.

I had my first shave with this razor yesterday and had an exceptional result. I used one of the included Tatra Platinum blades. I had a complete BBS shave with zero irritation. I also did not notice the suction feeling that many people have mentioned here. I'm wondering if it's the angle or lather that made the difference or maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to notice.

I'll add that I am a big fan of GEM razors which also have larger, flat heads so perhaps I'm used to that sensation where others might not be. I also liked the weight. It's a solid chunk of metal to be sure. It's not hyperbole to say that this might have been the best DE shave I've had yet.

I had my first shave with this razor yesterday and had an exceptional result. I used one of the included Tatra Platinum blades. I had a complete BBS shave with zero irritation. I also did not notice the suction feeling that many people have mentioned here. I'm wondering if it's the angle or lather that made the difference or maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to notice.

I'll add that I am a big fan of GEM razors which also have larger, flat heads so perhaps I'm used to that sensation where others might not be. I also liked the weight. It's a solid chunk of metal to be sure. It's not hyperbole to say that this might have been the best DE shave I've had yet.
It has become the only razor I use anymore. The consistent, comfortable and close shaves I get from the Winning Razor has really killed my desire to use my other razors. For me it is that's good. YMMV

There was a recent comp of the Winning and Henson on Sharpologist and, as I recall, he polished the Winning and reported less drag as a result. Might be less of a "suction" effect if you want to get that bad boy smoothed out and shiny.

Question: Does the Winning Razor in that comparison article photos look at all similar to the razor you see in tomorrow's SotD photo?

Because they look rather similar to my thinking. :biggrin1:

Seriously, polishing the razor head does work wonders to improve the feel of the razor without causing any negative effects to arise. Off the shelf, the Winning Razor has a lot of drag due to the unfinished machined surface, but polishing it to a mirror shine takes the shave to the next level. So any of you fine gents here who dislike the dreaded "suction effect" and are looking to make this a better shaver should seriously consider getting out the buffing compounds and applying a bit of the ol' elbow grease.

Also, complaints about the razor being too heavy or the stock handle not having much grip are readily solved by swapping in a lighter handle, maybe one made from titanium, like you see in the photo. Just make sure to keep your threads properly lubricated.

YMMV, of course.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_162330.jpg
    IMG_20220203_162330.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 39
Question: Does the Winning Razor in that comparison article photos look at all similar to the razor you see in tomorrow's SotD photo?

Because they look rather similar to my thinking. :biggrin1:

Seriously, polishing the razor head does work wonders to improve the feel of the razor without causing any negative effects to arise. Off the shelf, the Winning Razor has a lot of drag due to the unfinished machined surface, but polishing it to a mirror shine takes the shave to the next level. So any of you fine gents here who dislike the dreaded "suction effect" and are looking to make this a better shaver should seriously consider getting out the buffing compounds and applying a bit of the ol' elbow grease.

Also, complaints about the razor being too heavy or the stock handle not having much grip are readily solved by swapping in a lighter handle, maybe one made from titanium, like you see in the photo. Just make sure to keep your threads properly lubricated.

YMMV, of course.
How did you go about polishing yours? Do you have to use a dremel or other similar tool or can you do it by hand with a cloth and compound?

How did you go about polishing yours? Do you have to use a Dremel or other similar tool or can you do it by hand with a cloth and compound?

I used a Dremel, some felt fiber wheels and some polishing compound bars I got from Amazon. The instructions tell you what color compound to use in what order to get the best results.

Before I did that however, I used a flapper wheel with the same Dremel and sanded away the sharp outside corners and edges from the cap and baseplate. This increases the overall smoothness and makes for less irritation or red streaks if you end up riding a corner or shaving in or around a tight spot under your jaw.

There are some folks who might get decent results with fine sandpaper and metal polish but I can't attest to that personally.

Used my Winning razor today with a fresh blade. It was a little draggy but boy did it produce an excellent shave. I often finish a shave with a Rockwell 6S on the #2 plate to when I want to go extra on my sensitive neck but I can get as good if not better with the Winning for all passes. It needs a good sharp blade but it is a really great razor. I just need to get it polished now to get that extra good glide.

... I just need to get it polished now to get that extra good glide.
Trust me on this, my now-slightly-less-hirsute friend: Once you shave with a polished Winning Razor, you'll wonder why you didn't rush off to apply a mirror shine to it earlier. :biggrin1:

Later, you might also ponder why WSC doesn't offer the Winning Razor in a polished finish for a few extra dollars.

An easy and good shave this morning. A good lather, a sharp blade and it’s a no hassle performance from the Winning razor. A 3 pass affair without any disturbances leaving dolphin smooth like skin. Very little $$$ and it delivers an extremely close and comfortable shave. The lines get even more blurred between the high and low end chasm of razor availability and affordability with smooth performing razors such as the Winning and countless others. Good to be a wet shaver these days.

Great shaves to all.

D1E3974E-8C5A-4B79-9905-BADA9239C873.jpeg

It needs a good sharp blade but it is a really great razor.
I have been experiencing some really exceptional shaves with Gillette Nacet blades recently in my Winning razor so you might be onto something. The Nacet just might be my favorite blade in the Winning razor but it isn't my favorite blade in all of my razors.

The Winning razor is in my top 3 favorite razors (for now). Works great for me with either a Bic or Feather blade.
A real stainless steel USA made Yates for about $50? Can't beat that!
It's very utilitarian and not the most beautiful razor but nothing really to complain about for what we get!
Everyone should own one!

Top Bottom