What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

There is a lot of surface contact between the razor face and my face. The machined finish seems to cause a lot of drag, more than I have ever felt with a razor, and it bothered me more than I thought it would.

That was my only complaint. I figured I would give it another go and see if I possibly didn’t get the water to soap ratio right. Perhaps use it with Kaizen based soap this time.

Winning Razor, received 7/19/21. Shaved 7/20/21.

My preface: I shaved 7/19/21 prior to receiving the Winning Razor. As I have sensitive skin my shave schedule is not daily as it irritates, causes razor burn, and my facial hair growth is not 'weed' style, 5 O'Clock shadow after a morning shave.

General impressions.

1. This thing is heavy, twice as heavy as my Merkur 34C. By far this is the heaviest razor I now own.
2. I am not accustomed to this razor and had some problems trying to keep it light on my face.
3. The razor exposure and gap is very small. No caliper so can't be precise here.
4. The machine finish and grind is evident on the cap and base.
5. The finish on the cap and base has an area that is aligned to the cutting angle which creates a very wide flat area that guides/drags across your face during the shave.
6. Did I mention this thing is heavy?
7. The handle with the unpolished machining is not slippery, no issues with soap or loss of grip.
8. The fit on the top cap to the base has a close tolerance, once you tighten the handle down the blade is aligned extremely well.
9. I really like the indentation on the top cap, you can not feel the blade and it allows yo to feel the distinction between the top cap and the base by touch alone.
10. The thickness of the cap and base plate does not allow for grace on the Philtrum area but it is so mild you can turn it sideways and it shaves this area well.
11. Once again the weight of this razor makes it slightly ungraceful on first use but with time it should be a very good mild shaver.
12. No irritation or razor burn, for me on a second straight day shave is remarkable !
13. It only has one angle, it will let you know by SteelSchaben, translation, 'steel scraping' sounds.

Close up images:

Gap:

GapWR.png

Oblique view:

ObliqueWR.png

Side:

SideWR.png

Last edited:
Does the stand come with the razor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Initially I didn't order the stand but did a few days later. The stand is inexpensive as stands go, about $20. The razor handle is very wobbly in the stand as is my Blackbird handle in it's stand. My Timeless is not wobbly in it's stand. I guess that I expected other stands to be like that but apparently I was under a misimpression.

I had my second shave today, except this time instead of MWF, I used Kaizen and purposely under hydrated it so that it would be extra slick. I also used Proraso White Preshave for even more slickness.

The results were that the grabbing sensation of the safety bar was non existent this time. The efficiency of the shaved did not change. The shave wasn’t BBS, but it was a fine shave, nonetheless.

If I had never shaved with my 6S, I would be perfectly happy with The Winning Razor, but having shaved with the 6S daily for the last year, I will be going back to it.

I will be packaging this one up in it’s original package and hold it for my grandson. He is 12 now and will be shaving in a few years and will need a quality razor. On my passing, he will get my 6S, my RazoRock 400 brush, and what’s left of my stash of Feather blades.

I had my second shave today, except this time instead of MWF, I used Kaizen and purposely under hydrated it so that it would be extra slick. I also used Proraso White Preshave for even more slickness.

The results were that the grabbing sensation of the safety bar was non existent this time. The efficiency of the shaved did not change. The shave wasn’t BBS, but it was a fine shave, nonetheless.

If I had never shaved with my 6S, I would be perfectly happy with The Winning Razor, but having shaved with the 6S daily for the last year, I will be going back to it.

I will be packaging this one up in it’s original package and hold it for my grandson. He is 12 now and will be shaving in a few years and will need a quality razor. On my passing, he will get my 6S, my RazoRock 400 brush, and what’s left of my stash of Feather blades.
I shaved at 6:30 am, my normal shave time during the work week. I keep checking my face and it is almost 10 pm here and my stubble is where it normally is at noon time. I did not expect that close of a shave from this razor. This is an interesting development.

proxy.php

The Winning Razor just arrived and I put it through its paces.

First, I got it for $43 shipped (after coupon discount). Normal price is $50 shipped. How could I not throw down for a solid, machined stainless razor that’s made in the USA?

It’s a very sold, well machined razor. Lots of weight and it does remind me of the Henson razor in some ways (similar top cap and somewhat similar feel on the face).

I can confirm the reports of the head “drag”, as it does not slide quickly across the face. This really doesn’t bother me that much and actually sorta helps to lock in the right angle take your time. But I can understand how some (perhaps many) users won’t like the slower "drag" experience. If it were polished or if it had some scalloping, it would likely slide much faster across the face. But hey, then it wouldn’t be a $50 razor!

It’s a solid medium aggressive razor and at no point did I feel I could nick or cut myself. In fact, you’d probably almost have to try! It has a very narrow, effective cutting angle and the blade is extremely secure with no chatter or movement.

I found the razor surprisingly efficient. I wasn’t expecting a BBS shave, but I easily achieved it with a standard 4-pass shave.

The magnet on the bottom is a cool feature and will be useful for when a blade is laying flat on the counter making it hard to pick up.

The handle was not slippery at all and the razor felt well balanced. Also, the small holes in the base plate did not clog up at all, even with a thick, gooey lather!

Overall, I feel it’s a must buy at this price point and an outstanding razor. If they could find a way to make it glide across the face with less drag, and still keep the price down, it would be incredible.

If they could find a way to make it glide across the face with less drag, and still keep the price down, it would be incredible.

I am giving some thought to hitting it with a few strokes of 600 grit on a sand block, and then maybe buffing it a little. I want to go slow in making changes, because it works as-is. It sure would be a shame to end up changing it for the worse.

How exactly did you polish it?
#600 paper--Mothers--Flitz--Jewler's rouge cloth--NuFinish. I did everything by hand pretty quickly, I'm sure If you used a dremel with care you could pretty easily get to even finer polish if desired. I started out just with the bevel on the cap but it shined up so quickly and nicely I ended up doing the whole razor other than the underside of the cap and top of the baseplate.

Top Bottom