What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

@StewB I love this razor, how comes there's isn't a dedicated thread for the winning razor in the clubs and brotherhood section of the forum?

Reactions: Kix
any others that pulled the trigger on ordering one of these recently have any luck getting a shipment notice? been a week and a half now and heard nothing since ordering one

any others that pulled the trigger on ordering one of these recently have any luck getting a shipment notice? been a week and a half now and heard nothing since ordering one
I received an order # when I completed it on July 5. I sent an inquiry on July 7th and Rob replied that they were still getting caught up from the Holiday weekend. I received my razor and stand on July 11th.

Heard through the internet grapevine (Instagram) that WSC might be gearing up to bring back a new and improved version of the Winning Razor that is lighter, lower profile head & base and working on eliminating the slight "suction feel" that the razor has been known for.

Stay tuned.....:ihih:

All reasons that I sold mine. I didn't mind the heavy, but it didn't work well with the clunky and the face-sucking. 😆

Of course I didn't like my Henson either, and sold that too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I liked mine okay. Didn't love it. Did experience the suction feeling but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I gave mine to a grandson. I'm not sure whether he's used it even once. I did not feel like I was giving him anything less than a fine razor.

It's exciting to hear an improved version might be on the way.

Happy New Year & Happy Shaves,

Jim

Brought it out this morning because it was still fresh in my mind from the WSC Instagram post of potentially bringing back the Winning in a new and improved version for 2023. Went with a 2nd use Bic Chrome Platinum & some IB/RR One X for the suds and splash. And I will be honest with you gents and with those that experienced a drag or suction type feel with this iteration of the Winning Razor, I just don’t really get that feel. I mean with the built in shave angle that this razor provides where there is always a flush and full contact of the razor on the skin because otherwise if one deviates from that predetermined shave angle, the shave is rather pointless & non effective. The blade just does not touch skin therefore not cutting any whiskers whatsoever. I just get a nice smooth and slick feeling of the razor going over the skin and removing the hair as intended. Perhaps my lather helps in reducing that effect or quite frankly eliminating it as I prioritize and value glide & slickness over cushion & protection if that makes sense to anyone. The suds I create are always on the mark for optimal hydration while still maintaining a lubricant type effect during my shave process. I also make sure not to go over a spot without touching some lather to it with my fingertips as the Winning practically removes any suds clear off the shaved area. Though blade edge reveal is minimal, without some type of lubricant or soap irritation can arise.

Today was just a real nice and close shave that was comfortable and easy to attain. The weight can be a plus for some and a negative for others so, that’s a wash for me. But, if WSC decides to bring a re-engineered razor that makes it slightly lighter, increasing maneuverability, decreasing overall head size and making it feel better on the skin, I’m on the train, Dwayne.

Great shaves to all….

8C6860BA-30A7-470A-8760-5E8EC1E88878.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Brought it out this morning because it was still fresh in my mind from the WSC Instagram post of potentially bringing back the Winning in a new and improved version for 2023. Went with a 2nd use Bic Chrome Platinum & some IB/RR One X for the suds and splash. And I will be honest with you gents and with those that experienced a drag or suction type feel with this iteration of the Winning Razor, I just don’t really get that feel. I mean with the built in shave angle that this razor provides where there is always a flush and full contact of the razor on the skin because otherwise if one deviates from that predetermined shave angle, the shave is rather pointless & non effective. The blade just does not touch skin therefore not cutting any whiskers whatsoever. I just get a nice smooth and slick feeling of the razor going over the skin and removing the hair as intended. Perhaps my lather helps in reducing that effect or quite frankly eliminating it as I prioritize and value glide & slickness over cushion & protection if that makes sense to anyone. The suds I create are always on the mark for optimal hydration while still maintaining a lubricant type effect during my shave process. I also make sure not to go over a spot without touching some lather to it with my fingertips as the Winning practically removes any suds clear off the shaved area. Though blade edge reveal is minimal, without some type of lubricant or soap irritation can arise.

Today was just a real nice and close shave that was comfortable and easy to attain. The weight can be a plus for some and a negative for others so, that’s a wash for me. But, if WSC decides to bring a re-engineered razor that makes it slightly lighter, increasing maneuverability, decreasing overall head size and making it feel better on the skin, I’m on the train, Dwayne.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1581714

A 80 mm handle's on my wish list for this razor's updated version.

Happy shaves,

Jim

And I will be honest with you gents and with those that experienced a drag or suction type feel with this iteration of the Winning Razor, I just don’t really get that feel. I mean with the built in shave angle that this razor provides where there is always a flush and full contact of the razor on the skin because otherwise if one deviates from that predetermined shave angle, the shave is rather pointless & non effective.
Exactly. I don't feel a "suction" or "drag" either, although the face feel of the Winning is a bit different because the head has an "automatic" angle design. Change the angle and it doesn't cut. The Winning's angle is on the steep side, which might be why some don't like it. Used properly, though, the Winning is surprisingly efficient (at least for me).

Heard through the internet grapevine (Instagram) that WSC might be gearing up to bring back a new and improved version of the Winning Razor that is lighter, lower profile head & base and working on eliminating the slight "suction feel" that the razor has been known for.

Stay tuned.....:ihih:

All reasons that I sold mine. I didn't mind the heavy, but it didn't work well with the clunky and the face-sucking. 😆

Of course I didn't like my Henson either, and sold that too.

Maybe take a look at the Simple Clean Shave razor. Although the head is about the same size, the body is made of aluminum with stainless inserts at the wear points. It has a much lighter weight and none of the "suction" of the Winning razor. It also has larger lather channels and smoother transition's that might help with the chunky feel.

It's cheaper from The Razor Company because of the free shipping. TRC - Double Edge Safety Razor - Black Aluminum - https://www.therazorcompany.com/products/trc-double-edge-safety-razor-black-aluminum?_pos=1&_sid=f92c71e01&_ss=r

I questioned Yates about it and they said that they were considering releasing their own version of the Winning razor.

Reactions: Kix
I haven't used the Winning and the Simple Clean Shave razors head to head yet, but I think the SCS is a bit milder. It is also a lot more nimble. What do others who have tried both think?

I haven't used the Winning and the Simple Clean Shave razors head to head yet, but I think the SCS is a bit milder. It is also a lot more nimble. What do others who have tried both think?

Both razors are mild but efficient. The Winning razor was my go to for a few months. The Simple Clean Shave razor dethroned it. Both give first class BBS shaves for me. My personal preference is SCS > Winning > Henson

thumbnail_IMG_1206.jpg

Had a great shave with the Timeless .95 Ti the shave before this. Whisker growth was present but, light for a 2 pass shave and perhaps even 1. Went with The Winning and a Bic Chrome Platinum. No, it wasn’t done in one pass but, it was a nice 2 pass for a clean, smooth and irritation free feel shave. Dad’s Day is looking pretty good to start.

A great Father’s Day to all the dads that make it happen. Great shaves to all of you….:straight:

908BE292-0448-4572-BE59-4E54867C796C.jpeg

Top Bottom