What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

The razors started shipping last week and this one showed up today. Very minimalistic packaging (I have no issue with that whatsoever) shipped with a tuck of Tatra Blades. Solid build with very good weight yet feels balanced with a slight weight bias towards the head. Machined finish so nothing fancy on looks but, that was the draw for me. Handle also has a magnetic end to it for blade pick up. I don’t really use it but, for those that do it’s there for an added convenience. A bit concerned on the size of the lather holes but, we’ll see how it goes.

Initial shave report to follow in a bit…..

EC0929DB-8762-4074-A678-937EC639B38F.jpeg

77024110-F050-4B35-9B8E-73BF4DD7A530.jpeg

B87AB707-18F7-4582-A49F-8B4CAADB4445.jpeg

34EA52F3-4F0B-47AC-8F68-B682953881B5.jpeg

8134C86A-005F-492F-86BA-A1F2AB85F1BE.jpeg

23147152-02BD-4CE1-BE30-FD9C802873CA.jpeg

37EE9D10-91EF-4E88-A9ED-34FFAF497AA9.jpeg

D5E8E7E9-A2B0-4BB8-BD7D-1565388BAECC.jpeg

B4C16266-BB48-4423-9DA8-7643E818E08C.jpeg

Sorry for the delay, Gents. Life sometimes gets in the way of things especially when it comes to something as important as an initial shave perspective…. ;)

I‘ve posted a few more pics below with the blade installed in the razor. Pardon the poor pics, I just use my camera phone and do the best I can. Hopefully though you get a general idea of blade reveal, the bend and the clamping effect on the blade. It’s got some bend to it but, it’s held rigidly and the contours of the top cap aid in setting a near automatic angle of attack for the razor. I installed a Gillette Green 7 O’clock Super Stainless and the top cap, base plate & handle worked nicely to give the blade a very satisfying crunch once the handle locked onto the bottom plate. The threading action was nice and smooth, not Karve like or Timeless but, not that much off. As I’ve stated in my previous post, the razor feels nicely balanced and though there is no knurling or serrations on the handle, the finish of the Stainless handle does provide a tacky like feel for a positive tactile grip/touch.

I went with my normal 3 pass shave and from the first stroke to the last, it was a very comfortable and pleasant shave. Blade feel is on the light side but, it will leave it’s mark if you get careless and think it’s an autopilot shaver. I got careless on my 3rd pass and gave myself a nic right on the chin which I hadn’t done in some time. That gap and blade reveal/exposure look minimal but, this razor exhibits good cutting action. Like I said, not much blade feel and not much of a singer but, it cut through the whiskers and did it well. That built in angle of the top cap and the designed geometry of the razor head as a whole really lent the razor to being placed optimally nearly as a default. If your off that naturally intended and designed angle, it won’t cut, plain & simple. It’s a smooth operator for sure and for a day or two of whisker growth, it’s more than capable of handling it with ease. I thought that the lather holes would be an issue for me in allowing hair & lather to flow through but, that was not the case. I did have to rinse a bit more frequently as the suds built up right near the guard after a half face pass but, it rinsed away quickly and easily. Others may find that to be a nuisance though, lather thickness may contribute to more or less that problem but, I’m just nitpicking really. Besides the nic I gave myself, no irritation or cuts to speak of. It’s not a complete BBS finish but, definitely a DFS one and a good one at that.

More shaves to get a good feel for that angular shave geometry that takes away from either riding the cap or bar type of tactics but, that’s not so bad. You won’t feel much nor hear much when shaving with it but, trust me the Winning Razor has ability and with a couple more shaves it could be a stellar daily for anyone looking for a nicely built razor on a budget….

627C021F-1749-42E5-A027-404C4B56CDBC.jpeg

BE58FF2E-590F-4749-9DB6-809C76543D6D.jpeg

4B8FED3E-204A-4F70-90E7-60A381DCE61E.jpeg

3A94425C-6B0A-46BC-93B9-B96901E1DEA7.jpeg

49E7ED69-A7FB-4813-AE46-463F22B46D50.jpeg

AE3E5606-03CA-487D-AA1E-C28C008225DE.jpeg

D0482DF9-41D9-4640-B5EB-A4C3F3EC6E2B.jpeg

That blade edge looks like it's secured fairly well at the edges, but I haven't had much luck with baseplate designs that dont secured in the blade in the center like this one. I believe it was made by the guy from Yates, but it doesnt have that additional securing knotch in the center like their name models have which seems to have a positive impact on rigidity.

I’d be tempted to try a Kai blade in that razor.

Interesting design, looks like something you’d take into combat.
[/QUOTE

That's on the menu after a shave or two.....:thumbup1:

Different. I wonder how it would go with an Astra SP?

I might have a tuck somewhere....:confused1

It looks a lot like the Henson (which if it was stainless or brass would be on tha unneeded wanna have anyhow list)

Yes, it might be redundant especially if you like light razors or one's biceps & forearm muscles are underdeveloped..... :em2300:

That blade edge looks like it's secured fairly well at the edges, but I haven't had much luck with baseplate designs that dont secured in the blade in the center like this one. I believe it was made by the guy from Yates, but it doesnt have that additional securing knotch in the center like their name models have which seems to have a positive impact on rigidity.

It's held quite rigidly. No blade chatter of any kind during all 3 passes, WTG/XTG/ATG. Granted, it was only on 1 days worth of stubble but, it mowed through it with ease. That bend and the razors inherent design create what seems to be a very solid & stable platform. I can see a progression of base plates with varying gaps & blade exposures if WSC/Yates go that route.....

Nah I like heavy razors and light not so much. but o do have some heavy metal which I am happy with so a new one is unneeded even if it is ✨

Sorry for the delay, Gents. Life sometimes gets in the way of things especially when it comes to something as important as an initial shave perspective…. ;)

I‘ve posted a few more pics below with the blade installed in the razor. Pardon the poor pics, I just use my camera phone and do the best I can. Hopefully though you get a general idea of blade reveal, the bend and the clamping effect on the blade. It’s got some bend to it but, it’s held rigidly and the contours of the top cap aid in setting a near automatic angle of attack for the razor. I installed a Gillette Green 7 O’clock Super Stainless and the top cap, base plate & handle worked nicely to give the blade a very satisfying crunch once the handle locked onto the bottom plate. The threading action was nice and smooth, not Karve like or Timeless but, not that much off. As I’ve stated in my previous post, the razor feels nicely balanced and though there is no knurling or serrations on the handle, the finish of the Stainless handle does provide a tacky like feel for a positive tactile grip/touch.

I went with my normal 3 pass shave and from the first stroke to the last, it was a very comfortable and pleasant shave. Blade feel is on the light side but, it will leave it’s mark if you get careless and think it’s an autopilot shaver. I got careless on my 3rd pass and gave myself a nic right on the chin which I hadn’t done in some time. That gap and blade reveal/exposure look minimal but, this razor exhibits good cutting action. Like I said, not much blade feel and not much of a singer but, it cut through the whiskers and did it well. That built in angle of the top cap and the designed geometry of the razor head as a whole really lent the razor to being placed optimally nearly as a default. If your off that naturally intended and designed angle, it won’t cut, plain & simple. It’s a smooth operator for sure and for a day or two of whisker growth, it’s more than capable of handling it with ease. I thought that the lather holes would be an issue for me in allowing hair & lather to flow through but, that was not the case. I did have to rinse a bit more frequently as the suds built up right near the guard after a half face pass but, it rinsed away quickly and easily. Others may find that to be a nuisance though, lather thickness may contribute to more or less that problem but, I’m just nitpicking really. Besides the nic I gave myself, no irritation or cuts to speak of. It’s not a complete BBS finish but, definitely a DFS one and a good one at that.

More shaves to get a good feel for that angular shave geometry that takes away from either riding the cap or bar type of tactics but, that’s not so bad. You won’t feel much nor hear much when shaving with it but, trust me the Winning Razor has ability and with a couple more shaves it could be a stellar daily for anyone looking for a nicely built razor on a budget….

View attachment 1285945

View attachment 1285941

View attachment 1285940

View attachment 1285939

View attachment 1285942

View attachment 1285943

View attachment 1285944
How does it compare to the other Yates razors, shave-wise?

How does it compare to the other Yates razors, shave-wise?

Can't tell you honestly but, it shaves about as good as their own Merica razor with slightly less blade feel and it definitely provides a significant boost in shave feel over the Triple S version as well. I think @Shavemd ordered one as well and also has the Yates razor with multiple base plates. So hopefully once he gets his in he can give a much better report on similarities/differences between the two....

View attachment 1285945

View attachment 1285941

View attachment 1285940

View attachment 1285939

View attachment 1285942

View attachment 1285943

View attachment 1285944

GREAT REVIEW!! Love the ’functional’ industrial look of that razor!! :a29: :a29:

Can't tell you honestly but, it shaves about as good as their own Merica razor with slightly less blade feel and it definitely provides a significant boost in shave feel over the Triple S version as well. I think @Shavemd ordered one as well and also has the Yates razor with multiple base plates. So hopefully once he gets his in he can give a much better report on similarities/differences between the two....
My Winning razor should arrive Tmw, look forward to giving it a try

Top Bottom