What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well... I got the razor. It was (cough, cough) minty smelling and it was not supposed to be minty smelling. That was because they included a free bottle of aftershave. I smile at the irony, they sent ME aftershave - you gotta love that one. It was not in a zip lock bag nor was it bubble wrapped. Just a loose glass bottle inside a soft mailer that runs through mechanical sorting equipment. Not a good combination.

I sent them pics and told them what I received. Also insisted I was not looking for nor would I accept some discount or another razor. Told them the razor is fine and am looking forward to using it. Told them my intent was to give them feedback so they could do a better job in the future with packing and shipping.

Pics of what I received. It was all in a plastic bag from USPS and as you can see it was soaked.

View attachment 1292925
View attachment 1292926

Probably not a great idea to send glass this way, but at least the razor can be washed off, and splashed with something else so it smells good. Just in case you have some other splash to use of course which is reasonably likely.

Shave report soon, I hope.

I was notified today that my Winning Razor has a tracking number and has been packaged. I will be very careful opening it especially if it carries a scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Well... I got the razor. It was (cough, cough) minty smelling and it was not supposed to be minty smelling. That was because they included a free bottle of aftershave. I smile at the irony, they sent ME aftershave - you gotta love that one. It was not in a zip lock bag nor was it bubble wrapped. Just a loose glass bottle inside a soft mailer that runs through mechanical sorting equipment. Not a good combination.

I sent them pics and told them what I received. Also insisted I was not looking for nor would I accept some discount or another razor. Told them the razor is fine and am looking forward to using it. Told them my intent was to give them feedback so they could do a better job in the future with packing and shipping.

Pics of what I received. It was all in a plastic bag from USPS and as you can see it was soaked.

View attachment 1292925
View attachment 1292926
Amateurs huh?

When I saw @GlazedBoker's great unboxing pics, I thought that this razor's geometry was very close to the Fine Marvel that I used for a couple of years. The cap post threads had disintegrated to the point where it would no longer thread, so I pitched it. But I thought, if they ever make a stainless or brass version of that, I'll buy it. So I ordered one June 25 and received it yesterday.

This morning I shaved with it, using a feather blade with 12 shaves on it already. As best I can remember, this razor feels almost identical to the Fine Marvel with a few differences. The biggest difference is that the thickness of the plate below the blade is much smaller, so I can easily shave under my nose with the Winning and I could not with the Fine Marvel. The second difference is that the mill marks run horizontal on the Winning, and it seems to me that those ridges "grab" the skin and stretch it ever so slightly and it gives a closer shave, but it does make it a little less of a "glide" experience. The Fine Marvel is pretty high gloss chrome that has zero friction.

It was a very good shave, but I'm reserving judgment until I have used it with a variety of new blades.

Tomorrow I will give it a go with an Astra SP. I'd like to try the Tatra Platinum included with the razor, but that will have to wait until after Shark week is done.

Last edited:
Well, got to use the Winning Razor this morning. I must say it's definitely on the heavy side compared to most of my razors. Having a Henson Ti22 I thought the Winning Razor might shave similar, but it's a completely different experience. The bulk and heft will take some getting used to. It also makes a different sound while shaving compared to my other razors.

The results however were pretty good. I accidentally used an Astra stainless instead of my go to SP, but the shave was still pretty good. I'll put an SP in tomorrow as that's the blade I use for all new razors. My first use wasn't a WOW, but overall not bad. I bet after I get use to the weight, things will improve. It's a very nice razor though for $50 (I unfortunately missed the sale). Looking forward to more shaves.

Do you gentlemen who've already used this razor consider it a "high efficiency razor?"

I don't view it as "high efficiency" because the cap and baseplate are designed to only allow the blade to touch your face at a specific angle, and if you aren't at that exact angle, you aren't shaving. After two passes, it wasn't doing anything. It isn't aggressive like a Karve D or a slant, my two "efficient" reference points.

It is somewhat efficient because you can shave quickly with very little chance of cuts or nicks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't view it as "high efficiency" because the cap and baseplate are designed to only allow the blade to touch your face at a specific angle, and if you aren't at that exact angle, you aren't shaving. After two passes, it wasn't doing anything. It isn't aggressive like a Karve D or a slant, my two "efficient" reference points.

It is somewhat efficient because you can shave quickly with very little chance of cuts or nicks.
I would say it is more efficient than what you would expect based on the feel during the shave. Most days I still require a 3 pass shave with it. I am still enjoying it.
I would say it's quite efficient, for its minimal blade exposure and gap. It is similar in efficiency to a red tip but it's quite a lot milder feeling.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think what one has to keep in mind here is that there is a shave angle that is already designed and integrated into the Winning razor. The taper, angle, coupled with the minimal gap and blade reveal tells one that the cutting window is quite minimal, basically not a lot of room for experimenting with shave angles. At its intended design, it should be flush on one's skin from bottom plate to the slope/taper of the top cap and blade feel should be minimal yet fairly effective at removing whiskers efficiently & smoothly.

I think that @Shavemd hit on a pretty good point concerning lather. The Winning razor really does work best with a well hydrated lather. Not runny where you have soap dripping off of you before you get the razor to your face. Just right before the soaps breaking point. You'll be rewarded with exceptional slickness and glide.....

Happy shaves, Gents..... :shaving:

Second shave today with a BIC Chromium, same near BBS with two passes. I'm getting great shaves with this razor.

I agree with some comments others have made. It is heavy! Maybe too heavy, may need to swap out the handle. Also, as mentioned, a more hydrated lather works better, as the razor seems to "stick" for the lack of a better word to the skin.

Had my second shave today with the Winning Razor. I swapped out the Astra stainless for the SP that I normally use in new razors and I actually couldn't tell much difference. I did switch over to my Rocca on the 3rd pass as I just wasn't feeling the bulk and heft of the Winning Razor. I'm afraid this one isn't for me. I don't find it very comfortable for some reason.

It is a very well made razor and a real bargain at $50 if it works for you. I like my standard Yates much better in comparison. All you Henson fans wondering if this is a comparable razor made from stainless.....it is not....at least for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
WinningRazor.7-12-21.640.JPG

Mine's arrived and will probably be used in the morning.

It's a nice looking, machined-looking bit of kit. I enjoyed how it was packaged - functional & also good looking & interesting - and found it unique.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom