What's new

The “Winning Razor” by WSC/YPM…..

2nd shave with the Winning Razor and it felt a lot easier and a bit more intuitive than the first go around from last night. Got the angle from the get go and proceeded to a really good 3 pass shave. Like I said from last night’s shave, it feels just a tiny bit different with the angular slope of the top cap but, it was easier to keep it in the sweet zone with a near seamless feel from cap to base plate. The blade gives a light feel yet it cuts and clears the whiskers with a subtle authority. Audible feedback again is on the low side and one almost thinks that nothing is happening until your done clearing the lather and you do a quick rinse & face feel between passes. It’s doing and doing it well. Got a BBS finish everywhere except for a couple of tiny stragglers around Sir Adam. Smooth as glass everywhere else.

Impressive first 2 shaves. Still going to reserve my thoughts after a couple more shaves just to get a better overall assessment as I’d like to try a different couple of blades and 2-3 days of growth. Will get back to the Winning Razor in a few days as I want to get in a shave or two with the Rockwell T2.

Can’t blame a guy in trying to spread my razor love around…. ;)

0CD2E367-D914-4D0F-95A0-1C56B8407E0A.jpeg

Got my Winning razor today Loaded up a Gillette Stainless blade and whipped up some ETHOS peppermint. My first impressions
1. Definitely a machined finish grade
2. Fit is perfect
3. This razor prefers a thinner , slicker lather.
4. No issues with the circular drain holes
5. Minimal blade exposure, and very slight blade feel.
6. No blade chatter
7. Get almost a vacuum feel, like a Blackbird when shaving
8.Totally different shave feel than a Yates Precision razor.
9. Feel and shave results remind me very much of my Henson Ti I have that is set between the medium and aggressive baseplate
Got a wonderful 3 pass shave, look forward to further shaves with it.

Got my Winning razor today Loaded up a Gillette Stainless blade and whipped up some ETHOS peppermint. My first impressions
1. Definitely a machined finish grade
2. Fit is perfect
3. This razor prefers a thinner , slicker lather.
4. No issues with the circular drain holes
5. Minimal blade exposure, and very slight blade feel.
6. No blade chatter
7. Get almost a vacuum feel, like a Blackbird when shaving
8.Totally different shave feel than a Yates Precision razor.
9. Feel and shave results remind me very much of my Henson Ti I have that is set between the medium and aggressive baseplate
Got a wonderful 3 pass shave, look forward to further shaves with it.

Nice initial write up @Shavemd. And I agree on the “suction” like type of feel. I’ve never sampled a Henson so can’t say anything on that. But, I pretty much mirror your thoughts on the Winning Razor’s performance…. :thumbsup:

I really like the Henson mid-aggressive, but wish the razor had more heft. Maybe the SS "Winning Razor" will do the trick.
I have the same experience. A few days ago, I said let's try this... stainless handle on the Henson! It is imbalanced(80g total), but by moving my hand back I got the best shave out of it I ever have. This is basically how the Vector is balanced, how I got the idea. I am not saying that's a permanent solution, just a test. I will probably use my Ti handle if I ever use the Henson any more. There just doesn't seem to be any handles around 35g, only a lot less or a little more.

Just finished my 3rd shave with the Winning Razor and the more I use it, the better I like it. Went through 2 days growth with relative ease and more importantly, great comfort. Like I posted previously, the shave angle is nearly built in and the first shave or two is a bit different from anything else I’ve experienced but, once you get accustomed to it, it’s a real darn good shaver. Just might run out the rest of the month with this Cinderella razor story in the making.…..

11FCE68F-2969-4992-AF8C-F3CCB49F6B24.jpeg

1st shave this morning with the Winning razor paired with a 1st use Voshkod.
Shave is reminiscent of the Henson in regards to having a fool-proof shaving angle.
More blade feel and more weight, I can only imagine that a Henson aggressive in stainless would probably feel how this razor feels.
The minuscule blade reveal seems to keep the blade edge secure from chatter. The underside isn't clamped as close to the edge as the Henson.
Great bang for your buck razor.
Looking forward to more shaves with it.

Another good and easy shave. I felt though that the Gillette Green blade was ready to get tossed by the third pass but, it managed to finish off the shave extremely well with just the tiniest amount of irritation along the jawline and near Sir Adam. A quick alum pass, witch hazel, Ethos healing serum (yeah, the Green stuff, hehe) and splash, gone in under 30 mins. I’m genuinely impressed with the Winning Razor. Quality, precise tolerances, construction & alloy that no one can complain about. All that for under $50 US? Value and a heck of a performer for what one gets. I like my Merica very much and I enjoy the mildness of the Triple S when a carefree no thought shave is called upon but, the Winning Razor could be the best of the 3 for my particular shaving needs & habits. It just gets better with each use and is nearly an easy, if not more so than the other two I mentioned. Well, I shouldn’t say that as the Triple S is the mildest razor I own but, the Winning Razor is a real easy shaver to get accustomed too. Next I’m going to go in with a Feather and Kai and see how those work with this underdog of a razor……

Great day and shaves to all…..

14FE4D52-6A0E-4F1B-94AD-4C65436BBD5B.jpeg

I now have 3 excellent shaves in with the “Winning” razor. Minimal blade exposure and feel, quiet shave but it is doing its job. DFS in 2 passes and BBS with 3. Getting about 10 hours before I can start to feel a little stubble. My only thing I would like is maybe a tumbled polish, other than that this is a winning razor especially at the price it is.

Three solid days of growth and it’s on with the Winning Razor & Feather. Needed to get a nice face chill in as the heat was in full force today, nearly reaching the century mark in the Garden State. Yup, Citron Glacial from Stirling. Ooooohh so niiiicce…….

Anyways, the Winning Razor & Feather combo had no issues mowing down the thick stubble in my 3 pass shave. The first pass knocked down a substantial amount bringing the stubble level to the skin. The 2nd was an ATG pass that just went through both face & neck whiskers like a hot knife through butter. There was really nothing much to get except for a few stragglers around the throat and jawline. The 3rd pass just removed those pesky ones and my skin was smooth and hair free. A slight bit of irritation on the chin and at the corners of each side of the stache as I got a little overzealous cleaning and buffing. And the first shave can be a bit harsh with a fresh Feather blade installed. But, the Stirling Glacial Citron splash covered that and in spades leaving my face super cooled, smooth and smelling nice. O La-La!!

The Winning Razor is a contender for a real good shaver. No, check that. It’s a contender for an excellent whisker reducing instrument that competes with many of the Stainless Alloy razors in its price range and a couple that are pricier as well. For the money, it’s a superbly produced tool that can deliver the goods in shave quality and feel. Jake knows his razors and shave design. I think he nailed it on this one as well. A bit different than the others in the WSC Stable as well as those from the house of YPM. Just a solid performer all around.

Word of caution. The Stirling Glacial is not for the weak at heart. The chill is magnificent but, if you’re not used to a few ticks of extra menthol in your soap & splash well, you’ve been forewarned.……

9AA29D01-F04A-4E91-A2EE-A3BE3D958C0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Both razors delivered nearly identical results on each side of my face. Both feel different but, they get to the same result and that is a BBS finish. I don’t think you can give yourself a bad shave with either one of these razors. As a daily and a couple days worth of whiskers, either one will most definitely work except for the thickest of beards out there. Economically priced even though the Winning Razor is nearly half the cost of the Merica which makes it perhaps the best deal in wet shave land.

Both are worth the price of admission……

View attachment 1291012

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
the Winning Razor in Stand (vendor photo)..png

Top 10 reasons to buy the Winning Razor?
  1. It's a great price for a made in the USA stainless steel razor.
  2. The industrial look of the razor is appealing.
  3. The machined finish perfectly completes the razor's industrial look.
  4. It's an unpretentious tool not masquerading as jewelry.
  5. The build quality looks good.
  6. The design (from what I can see of it) looks good.
  7. The reviews here and elsewhere are mostly good.
  8. The one negative review I read said the handle was too short and too fat. I like short and fat handles so that was a review I was glad to read.
  9. Recently I've been mostly interested in more close shaving, efficient razors, and in pursuit of them. This might not perfectly fit that bill, but it could surprise me. It certainly looks well made and handsome and rigid.
  10. Sounds like an interesting, easy enough to use razor.

So, yes I just ordered the razor and the stand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top 10 reasons to buy the Winning Razor?
  1. It's a great price for a made in the USA stainless steel razor.
  2. The industrial look of the razor is appealing.
  3. The machined finish goes perfect with the razor's industrial look.
  4. It looks to be an unpretentious tool not masquerading as jewelry.
  5. The build quality looks good.
  6. The design (from what I can see of it) looks good.
  7. The reviews here and elsewhere are mostly good.
  8. The one negative review I read said the handle was too short and too fat. I like short and fat handles so that was a review I was glad to read.
  9. Recently I've been mostly interested in more close shaving, efficient razors, and in pursuit of them. This might not perfectly fit that bill, but it could surprise me. It certainly looks well made and handsome and rigid.
  10. Sounds like an interesting, easy enough to use razor.

So, yes I just ordered the razor and the stand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Congrats amigo. I don’t know if I should gloat or sincerely apologize….. :letterk1:

BEDBE78E-AB73-4205-BEDA-BC591D7672B5.gif

Top Bottom