What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

New pit.... Don't need one but got the itch...

At present I have "downsized" to 2 22" Weber performers and a 26" Weber Original Kettle. I have sear grates and SNS Charcoal baskets for them.

The 26" I'll never give up. I do want to have a 22" for smaller cooks but may replace both performers with the new SNS Kettle. I wish that Weber made a 26" Performer.

Like everyone I'm at that point in my BBQ life where the desire for a stick burner is beginning to overwhelm my restraint. Sure the 26" can be set up as a stick burner but I am looking for something with better thermal performance. I gave up on Kamados because I just found it too hard to get clean blue smoke while maintaining low temps.

The issue is that most well built stick burners are just too darned big for my needs. I would consider the Lone Star Grillz 20x30 but even that is a bit too big for my needs.... also... on those overnight cooks where I just want to set it and forget it, I would want something that I can just load up with coals and not have to manage the fire every few hours. Most "serious" stick burners don't really set up well for this.

So my search continues...

Wishing everyone a very Happy, Healthy, and Peaceful New Years! Arose this morning to a clatter outside. Turned out to be my son setting things up for today’s cook. Very proud that he did his first whole cook; mixed the rub, prep’d the ribs, set up, split the wood, managed the fire and the cook!

6C01A52F-E1ED-418B-B352-AA2F7969EE62.jpeg

BB55B2BF-8DAC-48E9-8ADF-CEB813705A58.jpeg

F094C205-2D15-4C2E-BF92-5A1AE9C8EA62.jpeg

1A8A9D3B-F740-46F8-835E-77371434EC13.jpeg

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Wishing everyone a very Happy, Healthy, and Peaceful New Years! Arose this morning to a clatter outside. Turned out to be my son setting things up for today’s cook. Very proud that he did his first whole cook; mixed the rub, prep’d the ribs, set up, split the wood, managed the fire and the cook!
Tom

Ribs look great.

Carhartt barn coat and deckhand boots... That young man has my fashion sense!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm intrigued. Can you tell us more about the design? Lump Charcoal for fuel? Are they plans online for this somewhere?

Thanks!

These are the materials I used. Smokey Joe Mini WSM Project - The Virtual Weber Bullet - https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smokey-joe-mini-wsm-project/. It's really easy and took about 20 minutes. I'm doing a test run right now just to see how it holds temperature and mess with the vents. Been holding around 230-240 for about 45 minutes now. I just used briquettes today and a couple of chunks of hickory for the test run. There are also a lot of videos on doing it on youtube. I ended up drilling holes in the bottom of the pot instead of cutting it out to hopefully maintain the structural integrity of the pot.

Not a thing when it's pouring rain lol. I'm sometimes just mildly jealous of the guy with the tragaer (sp) in his garage down the street until I remember about carbon monoxide.
-2 and sleeting. Put an umbrella over the Pit Boss for a 7 hour smoke. Where there's a will there's a way.

Just saw this thread. I love to BBQ. Had all kinds of equipment but now use Weber Kettles exclusively. The gasser has not had gas in a few years, the Kamado has not moved in six years, the stick burner is rusted bad, all the Smokey Mountains got sold along with the Bradley electric and the concrete block smoker just stares at me.......the last one is called Ugly Betty. I can make a Weber Kettle sing. Pics from a few recent cooks............some beet/feta sausages smoked for 6 hours with beer sprayed on every 20 minutes for the last half of the cook.............some thick cut beef jerky........and some wings.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom