What's new

Do You Know Where Your Grill Is?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1708719688455.jpeg
Well, BBQ time is almost upon us and with that...here's a good tip. :thumpsup:

By Luna Regina - TastingTable - 26 Nov 23

"Bourbon-Soaked Wood Chips Make For Seriously Flavorful Grilling"

Almost everyone can agree that the smoky aroma rising from a sizzling grill is one of the most mouthwatering scents on earth.

However, some creative grillmasters have taken things up a notch by not only infusing their smoked dishes with the natural wood aroma of the chips but also by adding the rich, warm fragrance of barrel-aged whiskey.

How?

By soaking their wood chips in bourbon!

This not only imparts a wonderful scent to whatever you're grilling but also a mouthwatering flavor.

proxy.php

Here's the straightforward method:

Grab a large stockpot (or any container with a lid to keep the chips moist) and mix one part cheap bourbon (save the quality stuff for sipping) with two parts water.

Next, let your wood chips soak in the mixture for at least a day to ensure that the liquid fully penetrates the wood.

For maximum flavor, replace the soaking water with a new batch of the same bourbon-water mixture at the 12-hour mark. :thumbsup:

Afterward, fish out the bourbon-infused wood chips and allow them to fully dry out before utilizing them.

Wet wood chips won't produce smoke and can lead to inconsistent grill temperatures.

Then, take a whiff of the newly-soaked chips and you should be greeted by a lovely blend of aromas: Natural wood scent mixed with the oakiness of bourbon and the subtle finishing hints of vanilla, caramel, and spices.

Is it the same as soaking your wood chips in water?

proxy.php

It's been debated at length about why soaking your wood chips before using them isn't the best idea.

To put it simply, wet wood chips create more steam than smoke, which can interfere with the cooking process.

McCormicks even says that soaking wood chips in alcohol is 'waste of good booze' since any added flavor tends to vanish as the chips start to steam.

proxy.php

However, Bourbon-soaked wood chips can come in handy when you're planning a super long smoking session, like cooking a massive 20-pound brisket or a whole crown rib roast [or 'the whole hog'] that needs more than twelve hours.

1708724505108.gif

In these cases, you can use two trays of wood chips in your smoker.

Fill one tray with dry wood chips, which will start producing smoke right away, and the other tray with bourbon-soaked wood chips.

It will take a bit longer for these to get going because they need to get rid of the moisture first, but once they do, they will add a lovely whiskey-like aroma and flavor to your meat, along with the natural wood scent. :drool:

Read More: bourbon-soaked-wood-chips

proxy.php
"Always do barbecue right; this will gratify some people [and well...] astonish the rest". Mark Twain

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hmmm... YMMV. I'd rather implement bourbon (wine, beer, sherry, you get me) into another factor of the cooking process. As a reduction in a sauce, marinade, poaching/braising base. Don't get me wrong I think where your smoke comes from is VERY important, but I worry that the bourbon flavor in this case could easily be lost.

*I do, believe it or not, like to be proven wrong. PM me for my shipping address as I do accept samples and Mrs. Chef works from home and can get perishables into the fridge upon delivery.

Top Bottom