What's new

Anybody got one of those pellet grills?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Around these parts there is limited love for pellet smokers. Indeed they do have a fan base but true, hard core aficionado types dismiss them as (to use one choice of words-"cheating". I think they can be likened to a microwave for BBQ).
Truth...world class Pitmasters like Aaron Franklin, Myron Mixon, Rodney Scott and other legends of the art are not cranking out pork butts and briskets on a Traeger.
.....but that's only one person's opinion.
Some guys don't want to be tending a fire for 24 hours, final product notwithstanding.
I rather enjoy the task and the end result.
View attachment 1807763View attachment 1807764View attachment 1807765View attachment 1807766View attachment 1807768View attachment 1807769

Are those pellet grills?

IMG_1948.png

I’ve had this for about 2 years now. It does a fabulous job and I use quite often. I had a problem with the lid about 8 months of having it and it was replaced with no problems.

Have friends who are Barbeque/Smoker Gurus with Tragger, PitBoss, and other brands of Pellet Grills.

All report #1 results, all love their grills, all have years of experience grilling.

Think Pellet Grills/Smokers have been around most work well. IMHO you pay a lot for Brand Name, Cost of advertising, marketing cost.

Foundation I work with as voulenteer, just gift four AZ Rural Fire Departments s Pellet Smoker Grill. Believe all we’re happy with donation of grill, pellets, and starter kit.

Forget the name we got deal on but apprently the small fire departments were happy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No. Old school drum style smokers with a new and cleverly designed draft system. Burns wood and/or lump charcoal
Gotcha. Looked like some BBQ I’ve seen come out of pellet grills. So you just stopped by to say pellet grills are cheating I guess.

The Office Reaction GIF

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
So you just stopped by to say pellet grills are cheating I guess.
Yes they are. Now get off my lawn and quit putting beans in your chili. :001_tt2:

My brother has a Traeger and loves it. I use actual pieces of a tree, not saw dust that’s been stuck together. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the meat they put out. It really all boils down to how much work you want to do. If you want to “set and forget” get a pellet burner.

I recall as a kid in 1954 going into the Getto of North Miami on a Rib Run with my father, we use to go to this very bad neighbor were people were smoking Rib is old repurposed 55 Gallon Drums. Mission was alway to buy full side of Pork Ribs, and homemade sauce in ball canning jar. Food was to die for, they had no fancy equipment, just know how the probity were taught by great great grand parent who might have been slaves brought over from Africa.

Top Bottom