What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

So...

I don't agree with you on that. I've always been very happy with my reheated brisket, but I don't boil it. I reheat at a simmer for around 30-45 minutes (depending on the size and what else might be in the pot). I'm careful not to overdo it.

I vacuum pack and freeze a lot of brisket. Since it usually takes me 15+ hours to cook a brisket, it's not very often that we eat it the same day. Plus, if I am going to fire up the pit all day, I usually cook two briskets and a whole bunch of other stuff that winds up in the freezer. Finally, it sure is nice to be able to have brisket on demand (i.e., under an hour).

There's a difference in buying the cuts separately and separating a whole packer yourself. I don't often find points sold on their own. They are out there, but I actually see the flats sold separately more often. I don't know for sure, but I expect the points wind up in the meat grinder. Also, I don't know that I ever have seen a separated point sold for less than a packer--usually more. The butcher charges a premium for any extra labor. Then, there's the matter that a lot of them seem to be mechanically separated, so it's a sloppy job. A separated point always has a chunk of flat on it, and vise versa. While that might make one think "bonus," it isn't. It's more of a pain in the neck.

So, in the end, I would just as soon buy a whole packer and deal with it.

Interesting... Which part of the country are you at? I'm in the Northeast. Around here the butcher can separate, charge much more for the flat and slightly less for the point so it's worth the labor. Perhaps pricing is set by the local demand.

This time of the year pre-cured corned beef brisket is on special for St. Patty's day. The points are ~$2/lb and the flats are ~$4/lb. Similar pricing ratio for non-cured year around around my parts. I'm going to buy a bunch and make pastrami:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Which part of the country are you at?

Texas. Typically, we just buy the whole packer in the cryovac bag from the original processor. The butcher at the store/shop doesn't have to do a thing. Prices usually vary between just under $2/lb to around $3/lb for the whole packer.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't agree with you on that. I've always been very happy with my reheated brisket, but I don't boil it. I reheat at a simmer for around 30-45 minutes (depending on the size and what else might be in the pot). I'm careful not to overdo it.

I vacuum pack and freeze a lot of brisket. Since it usually takes me 15+ hours to cook a brisket, it's not very often that we eat it the same day. Plus, if I am going to fire up the pit all day, I usually cook two briskets and a whole bunch of other stuff that winds up in the freezer. Finally, it sure is nice to be able to have brisket on demand (i.e., under an hour).

There's a difference in buying the cuts separately and separating a whole packer yourself. I don't often find points sold on their own. They are out there, but I actually see the flats sold separately more often. I don't know for sure, but I expect the points wind up in the meat grinder. Also, I don't know that I ever have seen a separated point sold for less than a packer--usually more. The butcher charges a premium for any extra labor. Then, there's the matter that a lot of them seem to be mechanically separated, so it's a sloppy job. A separated point always has a chunk of flat on it, and vise versa. While that might make one think "bonus," it isn't. It's more of a pain in the neck.

So, in the end, I would just as soon buy a whole packer and deal with it.
Neither Kroger nor Albertsons had separate points, but they did have separate flats (and whole packers). Maybe someone is getting to them before I can.

Neither Kroger nor Albertsons had separate points, but they did have separate flats (and whole packers). Maybe someone is getting to them before I can.

It's amazing... The "undesirable cuts" back in the day are now more popular. I make poor boy burnt ends with chuck but chuck ain't exactly cheap these days.

In my lifetime, chicken wings have gone from throwaway/soup stock to being the most expensive part of the chicken.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's amazing... The "undesirable cuts" back in the day are now more popular. I make poor boy burnt ends with chuck but chuck ain't exactly cheap these days.

In my lifetime, chicken wings have gone from throwaway/soup stock to being the most expensive part of the chicken.
Yep, even skirt steak is costly, thanks to the popularity of fajitas. As to points, I need to check out one of our mid-scale grocery stores that actually employ real butchers. They probably have them- and hanger steaks, too. The last time I asked for one I was wondering if I was speaking another language. :)

Yep, even skirt steak is costly, thanks to the popularity of fajitas. As to points, I need to check out one of our mid-scale grocery stores that actually employ real butchers. They probably have them- and hanger steaks, too. The last time I asked for one I was wondering if I was speaking another language. :)

While you're there make sure you clean them out of their tri-tips and pork cheeks :)

There are a TON of recipes... it'll open up a new world.

Once you have cheeks, you may not go back to ribs/shoulder/butt.
Once you have jowl, you may not go back to belly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Fish, fowl, or furry, the best parts start at the shoulder and get better towards the forehead.

Treading in totally unfamiliar waters here... from the 'Prune' cookbook by Gabrielle Hamilton, Pastrami Duck Breast with Small Rye Omelette. Breasts in spice brine for 48hrs, air dried in fridge for 24 hrs, smoked. Her instructions for smoking the breasts were stove top with commercial exhaust fans cranked, i can't do that so went with smoking instructions from 'Where There's Smoke' by Barton Seaver.

Small fire in a Weber kettle. Had a drip pan with the boiled, saved brine liquid set in the center of the kettle base with 24 briquettes either side of the pan, fist sized chunk of cherry atop each pile. Needed more time then stated so added some lump charcoal bits too small for the grates on top of the briquettes. Vents 1/4 crack kept the temp 200 -225F on this winter day. Two pieces needed different times for medium rare so 40 - 50 minutes total.

Skin and meat separated and fat rendered and crisped, an hour on low heat, diced and mixed with sauteed shallots and fresh time, filling for 2 egg omelette along with some crumbled Multi-grain cracker. Third time trying this omelette business and it's improving.

file3-18.jpeg
file2-19.jpeg
file3-17.jpeg
file1-23.jpeg
file5-16.jpeg
file-30.jpeg
file4-17.jpeg
file4-16.jpeg
file-29.jpeg
file5-15.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Grilling in the rain. Kroger had rib eye for $7 a pound. Granddaughter is roasting Brussels sprouts in olive oil and garlic. I had to have some bell pepper, though.

382E9F5C-DDAA-4B74-9D12-7A0C8C6962C1.jpeg

Top Bottom