What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

A local grocery store had a sale on baby back ribs so I bought four slabs. Rubbed them down and wrapped them up overnight and then off to the smoker.

upload_2019-2-21_10-47-20.png

About four hours later they looked good.

upload_2019-2-21_10-48-16.png

Some sauce on them, wrapped in tin foil and another two hours:

upload_2019-2-21_10-49-52.png

My wife made some baked beans and stirfried some asparagus followed by something called Almond Joy Lava Cake. I was too busy eating to get a photo of the side dishes!

Five of us knocked down two slabs of ribs.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
2 New York Strips
I also prepared a sirloin steak to make tacos, flanken ribs, and sausage! But I didn’t even think about photos.
Air con people have been here since 0900 installing a new unit. They are almost done and then we can cool off. It is only 87° outside today so just glad it didn’t go out in August. We would have spent the weekend in a hotel.

82E67A85-6ECE-4788-8E0A-E173E76292E6.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
2 New York Strips
I also prepared a sirloin steak to make tacos, flanken ribs, and sausage! But I didn’t even think about photos.
Air con people have been here since 0900 installing a new unit. They are almost done and then we can cool off. It is only 87° outside today so just glad it didn’t go out in August. We would have spent the weekend in a hotel.

View attachment 958314
New York Strip is what I had for lunch yesterday.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Over the weekend I drove to South Texas for my uncles wake. I counted over 50 offset smokers sitting in people's yards, under car ports or pavilions from Austin to Beeville, Texas. I would have thought there would have been more.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Over the weekend I drove to South Texas for my uncles wake. I counted over 50 offset smokers sitting in people's yards, under car ports or pavilions from Austin to Beeville, Texas. I would have thought there would have been more.

Shoot, there's at least that many within a mile of my house.

Brisket... Anyone separate the flat and the point BEFORE smoking?

Done many a full packer cut brisket from 12 to 20lbs+. Central Texas style. Trim, 50/50 salt/pepper rub, in the smoker to 160*F, wrap in butcher paper, back in the smoker to 195*F, wrap in foil + towels and rest in a warm cooler for 2~4hrs before slicing. Darned near perfect every time.

That all said, I've been thinking about switching it up this year. Many reasons...
  • Not too often we need to cook 10+lbs of meat. We'll be empty nesters soon.
  • Where I live in the Northeast, butchers will just sell the point at a lower price. Particularly this time of the year when there's a demand for flats for St. Patty's day corned beef and cabbage.
  • I got fancy technology so I don't have to tend the cooker fire any more, but with smaller cuts, no need for overnight cooks to time for dinner.
  • More bark
  • More smoke and rub flavor.
Lots of opinions on this. Of course the traditionalists think it's heresy but what do the B&B pitmasters think?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Done many a full packer cut brisket from 12 to 20lbs+. Central Texas style. Trim, 50/50 salt/pepper rub, in the smoker to 160*F, wrap in butcher paper, back in the smoker to 195*F, wrap in foil + towels and rest in a warm cooler for 2~4hrs before slicing. Darned near perfect every time.

That all said, I've been thinking about switching it up this year. Many reasons...
  • Where I live in the Northeast, butchers will just sell the point at a lower price. Particularly this time of the year when there's a demand for flats for St. Patty's day corned beef and cabbage.
  • I got fancy technology so I don't have to tend the cooker fire any more, but with smaller cuts, no need for overnight cooks to time for dinner.
  • More bark
Lots of opinions on this. Of course the traditionalists think it's heresy but what do the B&B pitmasters think?
I have no problem with separating the point from flat. Each cook at different rates. My last smoke session I did just that and made burnt ends out of the entire point. The missus flipped for them and shes not a beef fan.

I have no problem with separating the point from flat. Each cook at different rates. My last smoke session I did just that and made burnt ends out of the entire point. The missus flipped for them and shes not a beef fan.

Going to have to do a simultaneous point and flat smoke and see if there are differences. Will give me a chance to use the Meater Block:

MEATER® The Best Wireless Meat Thermometer For Any Smart Kitchen | MEATER.com

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You're just braggin'.

No brag...just fact. :001_tongu

Heck, I have four smokers here...I think. I'll have to check...there may be one I forgot about.

Of course the traditionalists think it's heresy but what do the B&B pitmasters think?

I don't see a problem with that. Contrary to popular belief, there are no hard and fast rules for smoking. Should work just fine.

Nice wireless thrermometer you have. I have a Thermoworks one and I've used it...once.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

• More bark
This is an excellent tutorial on separating the point and flat:

This is an excellent tutorial on separating the point and flat:

He's good. Already subscribe to the channel. I do like my brisket a tad bit firmer than that though. That's why I pull it at 195*F and let it rest vs going all the way to 205*F. Same with pork ribs... I like them to come clean off the bones but not falling off.

Absolutely can separate the point and flat prior to smoking (most competition cooks are currently doing this). Can also smoke them anywhere from 225*F all the way up to 350*F. Can cook them in a pan, can cook them on the rack, can foil or not. Many different ways to skin a cat with no hard and fast rules. I've done all of the above and would be happy to answer any questions about your method.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Anyone separate the flat and the point BEFORE smoking?

I never have. I just haven't seen much reason. Plenty of others have, especially those that cater, because there is more demand for a flat, for cooking space reasons, or any manner of other things. I like both parts for different reasons, so I'm happy to to just leave them as they are.

Now, I do separate them after cooking every time. Like Aaron mentioned, the point needs a little more pit time. I separate them after cooking, vacuum seal the point, and just put it into the deep freeze. Then, another time when I fire up the pit, I'll take that point back out and put it on the upper shelf for a few hours or so. From there, it usually becomes chopped beef or burnt ends.

I never have. I just haven't seen much reason. Plenty of others have, especially those that cater, because there is more demand for a flat, for cooking space reasons, or any manner of other things. I like both parts for different reasons, so I'm happy to to just leave them as they are.

Now, I do separate them after cooking every time. Like Aaron mentioned, the point needs a little more pit time. I separate them after cooking, vacuum seal the point, and just put it into the deep freeze. Then, another time when I fire up the pit, I'll take that point back out and put it on the upper shelf for a few hours or so. From there, it usually becomes chopped beef or burnt ends.

You are validating 2 of my reasons for cooking separate.
  • Either a flat of point is enough to feed the family with little left over. If I cook a whole brisket, half of it will end up in a vacuum pack. I've found it's still pretty decent reheated in boiling water but it's certainly not as good as the day of the cook.
  • Since there's more demand for the flat, the local butchers will sell the point (IMO the better cut) at a discount. I'm happy to take the cheaper cut.
Absolutely can separate the point and flat prior to smoking (most competition cooks are currently doing this). Can also smoke them anywhere from 225*F all the way up to 350*F. Can cook them in a pan, can cook them on the rack, can foil or not. Many different ways to skin a cat with no hard and fast rules. I've done all of the above and would be happy to answer any questions about your method.

I've noticed that many competition pitmasters are cooking hot and fast on drum/barrel cookers. Since the science behind rendering collagen has not changed, what's the secret with these cookers? Is it the fact that they are essential convection ovens with turbulent air at a consistent temp?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've found it's still pretty decent reheated in boiling water but it's certainly not as good as the day of the cook.

I don't agree with you on that. I've always been very happy with my reheated brisket, but I don't boil it. I reheat at a simmer for around 30-45 minutes (depending on the size and what else might be in the pot). I'm careful not to overdo it.

I vacuum pack and freeze a lot of brisket. Since it usually takes me 15+ hours to cook a brisket, it's not very often that we eat it the same day. Plus, if I am going to fire up the pit all day, I usually cook two briskets and a whole bunch of other stuff that winds up in the freezer. Finally, it sure is nice to be able to have brisket on demand (i.e., under an hour).

There's a difference in buying the cuts separately and separating a whole packer yourself. I don't often find points sold on their own. They are out there, but I actually see the flats sold separately more often. I don't know for sure, but I expect the points wind up in the meat grinder. Also, I don't know that I ever have seen a separated point sold for less than a packer--usually more. The butcher charges a premium for any extra labor. Then, there's the matter that a lot of them seem to be mechanically separated, so it's a sloppy job. A separated point always has a chunk of flat on it, and vise versa. While that might make one think "bonus," it isn't. It's more of a pain in the neck.

So, in the end, I would just as soon buy a whole packer and deal with it.

Top Bottom