What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanksgiving is over but $0.40 per pound turkeys live. One down and 8 to go. Weber kettle with kingsford and soaked pecan.

A54B1AF8-5EA0-451C-B2BF-636988A71087.jpeg

Thanksgiving is over but $0.40 per pound turkeys live. One down and 8 to go. Weber kettle with kingsford and soaked pecan.

View attachment 1043578

Nice...

Do you prefer your smoke wood soaked? I used to soak chips but now I use a big chunk of dry wood placed on the grates above the coals. To each is own but IMO the smoke flavor is a bit better. "Cleaner" is how I would describe it.

I've been reading and researching quite a bit on how to achieve "clean smoke".

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We’ve got some weather coming our way!!
So....
I’m gonna fire up my small pit for the last time in 2019.
On the menu:
1lb shrimp
6 huge sea scallops
4 thick flanken (loaded ribs) ribs

And the icing on the cake

2 Wagyu Beef New York Strips

photos to come

martym

I am feeling spoiled. 58°
Light breeze
Ribs on
Listening to Ana Gabriel
Drinking Jim Beam and coke
Does it get much better?
Maybe an hour before anyone gets home.
More photos to come for this last Q of the year for me!

martym

That was some pretty good eating with plenty left for lunch for the week.
So the American Wagyu beef didn’t impress me or the wife. Tender, melt in the mouth but not a whole lot of flavor.
The Prime graded New York Strips we normally get are much tastier and are only $16 a pound instead of $33.
But now we know!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice...

Do you prefer your smoke wood soaked? I used to soak chips but now I use a big chunk of dry wood placed on the grates above the coals. To each is own but IMO the smoke flavor is a bit better. "Cleaner" is how I would describe it.

I've been reading and researching quite a bit on how to achieve "clean smoke".
I stopped soaking after reading an article against it on Amazing Ribs website. There is a reason they make boats out of wood- they don’t absorb much water.

New Year's Day.
Clear, cool mountain day. This DEMANDS BBQ. Today a slab of St. Louis ribs gets the call. Oak and mesquite. Pot of baked beans beneath grabbing all the drippy goodness.
Coleslaw and fresh baked cornbread to follow. Dinnertime around the half of the Rose Bowl Game. Dessert...... (Junior's Cheesecake direct from Brooklyn NYC😱 for the LSU-UGA contest.
C5139644-D7EC-4B80-A079-281D443BCD6D.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The physicist in me made me run an experiment once. Seasoned hickory chunks. Seasoned oak chunks. Weighed. Soaked in water 24hrs. Hickory - no weight gain, oak - tiny weight gain. 48hrs. Hickory - no weight gain, oak - no more weight gain (than the gain in the initial 24hrs).

I don't use chips so I didn't bother testing them. If I remember correctly, the soaked chips did put off a little more steam in my old Little Chief smoker but I don't think that the wood lasted any longer.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Soaking wood is one of the largest myths/mistakes many cooks make. I cringe every time I see it.

Top Bottom