What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Really good. Bet that bun is both buttered and toasted! Damned Keto is going to kill me yet!

Hung a few thin cut pork chops in the po man, I am really liking this grill
20190911_175442.jpg
20190911_182832.jpg
20190911_185650.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's the buttered buns fo' sho. Buttered biscuits. Buttered yeast rolls. Garlic buttered toast. My biggest Keto weakness. Growing up in a Czech home, baked goods are just a given with most every meal.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
You are on the other side of the world from Laredo. I also make tortillas from scratch. But some of the raw store bought ones are pretty good.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You are on the other side of the world from Laredo. I also make tortillas from scratch. But some of the raw store bought ones are pretty good.
Yep. Czech folks living near the border made for some quite interesting conversations! We farmed and ranched down on the Nueces in Dimmit Co. and had a butcher shop in the front yard. All of our workers spoke Spanish.

I've heard that those pre-made tortillas were OK but here in N. Carolina, they're not that easy to find. I can easily find Maseca and a few tortillas are quick and easy to make for just the two of us.

5788FBE8-0701-43A9-9B2B-6A1F5AF83C09.jpeg
Hello all. It’s been a minute! Smoked another brisket flat today. I’ve been doing one about every week, trying to perfect it. This is just a flat, much easier to get right.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That looks really good.

Low and slow or fast and hot?

Are you injecting them?

Wrapping them after the stall?

Probing them or measuring internal temps?

Wrapped and rested after you take off the smoker?

Briskets can be a challenge to say the least but the end result is well worth it.

That looks really good.

Low and slow or fast and hot?

Are you injecting them?

Wrapping them after the stall?

Probing them or measuring internal temps?

Wrapped and rested after you take off the smoker?

Briskets can be a challenge to say the least but the end result is well worth it.
Low and slow, set at about 225 but I’ve got a pretty big temp swing on my traeger so it’s probably more like 250 average, this took about 9 hours.
No injection, I just spritz with apple cider vinegar and keep a water pan in the smoker.
I am wrapping in butcher paper after the stall, might have waited too long this time. It wasn’t too dry but not as moist as I would’ve liked.
I do use a Bluetooth thermometer, love it.
And I leave wrapped and rest for about an hour before cutting it up.

I definitely agree on your last point! Even using a pellet smoker, fancy thermometer, etc it’s still the trickiest to get just right! It’s almost always delicious but out of the 10-15 I’ve smoked only 2-3 have been “juuuust right”, it’s temperamental. I am enjoying the tinkering and eating more than my share of the world supply of brisket!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. One of those times that I just got lucky LOL.

I've cooked hundreds of briskets and I'll say that they are all different. I used to go by time only as insurance . Maintained around 210-215°. 12-14 hours total, I'd call it done if it was jiggly. Sometimes I'd wrap with foil after 5-6 hours. Never considered 'resting' one. It sat on the table until it cooled down enough to slice/chop.

Tried all kinds of techniques, woods, and rubs. Every now and then I'd get one that just wasn't great but even the mistakes taste pretty good!

My current 'process' seems much simpler and with all of the digital gadgets I've shaved a couple of hours off.

I like hickory or oak for brisket. Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper with a little Ancho for a rub. I very seldom inject unless I'm just doing a flat. Smoke at 245-265° until just past the stall. Wrap in pink butcher paper (or not) and crank it up to 275° until the thermos (one in the point, one in the flat) measure around 198° and then start probing for tenderness. I might wrap them in towels and rest them in a styrofoam cooler for an hour or so if there
s time before dinner. Otherwise, I let them cool down on the counter until I can handle them.

Keep at it. It's a lot of fun.

Thanks. One of those times that I just got lucky LOL.

I've cooked hundreds of briskets and I'll say that they are all different. I used to go by time only as insurance . Maintained around 210-215°. 12-14 hours total, I'd call it done if it was jiggly. Sometimes I'd wrap with foil after 5-6 hours. Never considered 'resting' one. It sat on the table until it cooled down enough to slice/chop.

Tried all kinds of techniques, woods, and rubs. Every now and then I'd get one that just wasn't great but even the mistakes taste pretty good!

My current 'process' seems much simpler and with all of the digital gadgets I've shaved a couple of hours off.

I like hickory or oak for brisket. Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper with a little Ancho for a rub. I very seldom inject unless I'm just doing a flat. Smoke at 245-265° until just past the stall. Wrap in pink butcher paper (or not) and crank it up to 275° until the thermos (one in the point, one in the flat) measure around 198° and then start probing for tenderness. I might wrap them in towels and rest them in a styrofoam cooler for an hour or so if there
s time before dinner. Otherwise, I let them cool down on the counter until I can handle them.

Keep at it. It's a lot of fun.
Thanks! Especially that tip about cranking up the heat a little after it’s wrapped or out of the stall, that makes a lot of sense.
And you’re right, even the screw ups are better eating than a lot of food. I really don’t get tired of brisket.

Top Bottom