What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

The Baili 171/173 (RazoRock DE1), Baili 172/191/192 (RazoRock Tek II), Maggard V3M are all pretty much the same head - different handles/colors. These heads kind of resemble the Gillette Tech but could not, in my opinion, be mistaken for a Gillette Tech. Doesn't mean that they are bad razors - quite the contrary.

The Baili 131 is the closest Baili (appearance and geometry) to the original Gillette Tech. The Global Shave Club "Techs" and the YingJili are the same razor.

This is my opinion, based on purchasing, closely examining and shaving with these razors. YMMV.
Hi
Do you mean the Baili 131 is the same as the Yingili? And is the Black Tiger included in the “global shave club” techs?
I just got a Baili 131. 3 shaves, and I get gushers and weepers.
I have the Maagards V3M. Also gushers and weepers. Look at the blade gap on that thing. Used a Maagards mr5 handle.

Also have the Rapira. Same results.
Used Astra SP in first 2, rapira blade in rapira.

I love my pre war fat handle and NDC post war ball end techs. Astra SP blades. The 3 clones mentioned cannot hold a candle to them.

Btw, I tried the fat handle from the Gillette on the Rapira head, and found no difference.

thanks

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Do you mean the Baili 131 is the same as the Yingili? And is the Black Tiger included in the “global shave club” techs?
I just got a Baili 131. 3 shaves, and I get gushers and weepers.
I have the Maagards V3M. Also gushers and weepers. Look at the blade gap on that thing. Used a Maagards mr5 handle.

Also have the Rapira. Same results.
Used Astra SP in first 2, rapira blade in rapira.

I love my pre war fat handle and NDC post war ball end techs. Astra SP blades. The 3 clones mentioned cannot hold a candle to them.

Btw, I tried the fat handle from the Gillette on the Rapira head, and found no difference.

thanks

The Repli-Tech is based on the English 1965 Tech. The Baili 131 and Ying-Jili look like the same head.

The Black Tiger is a different razor. The first series was not bad for an inexpensive razor but, based on more recent reports, I'd steer clear of it. Better to get a genuine Gillette Tech.

YMMV

The Repli-Tech is based on the English 1965 Tech. The Baili 131 and Ying-Jili look like the same head. They all use a different handle.

The Black Tiger is a different razor. The first series was not bad for an inexpensive razor but, based on more recent reports, I'd steer clear of it. Better to get a genuine Gillette Tech.

YMMV
Thanks.
Yep, already got a pre war and post war NDC.

Just having fun trying the cheap clones for fun, just like everyone else on this thread, though my techs which i just bought recently were under $10 each shipped give or take. Not pristine, but no effect on the shave.

So, is it worth getting any later vintage gillette techs with date codes? I am talking US made not hard to get British models. I love both my techs, with a slight edge to the pre war.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks.
Yep, already got a pre war and post war NDC.

Just having fun trying the cheap clones for fun, just like everyone else on this thread, though my techs which i just bought recently were under $10 each shipped give or take. Not pristine, but no effect on the shave.

So, is it worth getting any later vintage gillette techs with date codes? I am talking US made not hard to get British models. I love both my techs, with a slight edge to the pre war.

Tech Fanatic here. ;)

After the English Hybrid and German #34, both of which are difficult to obtain, the Pre-War and Post-War Fat Handle, English Flat Bottom and mid-1950s English 'Heavy' (63g) Techs are in my regular Tech rotation. :)

Tech Fanatic here. ;)

After the English Hybrid and German #34, both of which are difficult to obtain, the Pre-War and Post-War Fat Handle, English Flat Bottom and mid-1950s English 'Heavy' (63g) Techs are in my regular Tech rotation. :)
Thanks. So it sounds like I am set with my prewar and NDC postwar unless I just want to collect. I assume the latter 2 English ones are either harder to get or harder on the wallett.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. So it sounds like I am set with my prewar and NDC postwar unless I just want to collect. I assume the latter 2 English ones are either harder to get or harder on the wallett.

The English mid-1950s heavy Techs are not overly expensive. The English Flat Bottom Techs are usually a bit more, but still not prohibitively so.

The English mid-1950s heavy Techs are not overly expensive. The English Flat Bottom Techs are usually a bit more, but still not prohibitively so.
I am in the US, so are they readily available from US sellers? Shipping could kill it, unless aliexpress starts selling vintage razors, lol. Anyway, for now i will probably stick with the techs i have, and not even try anymore clones. My RAD kicked in recently and I have razors I havent even tried yet!
Thanks

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am in the US, so are they readily available from US sellers? Shipping could kill it, unless aliexpress starts selling vintage razors, lol. Anyway, for now i will probably stick with the techs i have, and not even try anymore clones. My RAD kicked in recently and I have razors I havent even tried yet!
Thanks
Your best bet is to watch the B&B Buy-Sell-Trade Room. ;)

I looked at my notes and I have a grand total of 2 shaves on vintage techs, but I loved them. The first was post war, second was pre war after using the blade, Astra SP, that was in the post war the very next day. I gave the nod to the pre war. These were the 4th and 5th shaves on the blade, which last me at least 7 shaves. But at 10 cents a blade I usually bin it after the 7th.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I looked at my notes and I have a grand total of 2 shaves on vintage techs, but I loved them. The first was post war, second was pre war after using the blade, Astra SP, that was in the post war the very next day. I gave the nod to the pre war. These were the 4th and 5th shaves on the blade, which last me at least 7 shaves. But at 10 cents a blade I usually bin it after the 7th.

My favored blades in Techs are:

Kai
Feather
Personna Israeli Platinum Red
Wizamet Super Iridium

5 shaves and then retired for the Kai, Personna and Wizamet,

3 shaves and then retired for the Feather.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Where did you find the Rubie DE razor, if I may ask? All I can find by searching are the blades. Thank you.

Don't have a Rubie, found the pic via search for comparison. Appears to be only a couple of sources - not sure if it's still available.

I tried the Qshave rimei 2002 clone today. On the one hand, it is a close shaver, one of the closest I have ever used. It has a substantial blade gap but very little blade feel, most of the time. Slight changes to angle or geometry of the face and you get some decent blade feel. It reminds me of the Rapira plastic handled razor, but smoother.

It gave a solid 3 pass BBS with a Gillette 7 o'clock super platinum on its 4th shave. It has good auditory feedback as well.

The aftershave told the tail of an aggressive shave, plenty of sting. But interestingly, only a couple of minor nicks.

Overall, this razor is a bit too much for me, but is a good shave. It goes close and if you part of the 2-pass crowd, might be worth checking out. It is $7 bucks on amazon. Search for "Qshave Men or Women Short Handle Classic Double Edge".

If you like a classic tech shave, this may not be for you.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So the "best" tech clone is worse than the "least" real tech, right?
Having tried 3 already, I think I am done with the tech clones.

These are the Techs I use with regularly - especially my Hybrid Tech:

Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Pre-war Tech (Canada)
Gillette Post-war Tech (Canada)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)

Additionally, the following are handy for when their particular shave suits my mood:

Gillette mid-1950s #24 (63g) Tech
Gillette 1966 Tech
Gillette 1965 Tech

Except to keep the comparisons fresh in my mind, I haven't shaved with my various Clones in ages.

My recommendation is to get one of the above original Gillette Techs as availability and your budget allows.

YMMV

These are the Techs I use with regularly - especially my Hybrid Tech:

Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England)
Gillette #34 Tech (Germany)
Gillette Pre-war Tech (Canada)
Gillette Post-war Tech (Canada)
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England)

Additionally, the following are handy for when their particular shave suits my mood:

Gillette mid-1950s #24 (63g) Tech
Gillette 1966 Tech
Gillette 1965 Tech

Except to keep the comparisons fresh in my mind, I haven't shaved with my various Clones in ages.

My recommendation is to get one of the above original Gillette Techs as availability and your budget allows.

YMMV
So all of the above are better than my pre-war (US) and post-war NDC (US)?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So all of the above are better than my pre-war (US) and post-war NDC (US)?

IN MY OPINION, the USA Pre-War and Post-War Fat Handle Techs are on a par with their Canadian relatives, I just very slightly prefer the Canadian versions.

Consider the Canadian and USA versions to be ranked pretty much the same.
YMMV

Top Bottom