What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

In my opinion, it's very hard to beat the quality shave from a British Gillette Flat Bottom Tech. That said, I really like the Yaqi Tech head. It's cheap and shaves very well PLUS covers the tabs (a pet peeve of mine about which Gillette has never asked me my opinion). One of the razors I learned to shave on, though, was a simple REGUS 1957 ball-end Tech. It's a great razor and will continue to be one for several lifetimes.
Agree, the British Fat Handle Flat Bottom Tech (long name...) is hard to beat.
The only Tech I think is better is my British brass Ball End Tech.
It's a bit more efficient than both my Fat Handle and my aluminum Ball End.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion, it's very hard to beat the quality shave from a British Gillette Flat Bottom Tech. That said, I really like the Yaqi Tech head. It's cheap and shaves very well PLUS covers the tabs (a pet peeve of mine about which Gillette has never asked me my opinion). One of the razors I learned to shave on, though, was a simple REGUS 1957 ball-end Tech. It's a great razor and will continue to be one for several lifetimes.
Agree, the British Fat Handle Flat Bottom Tech (long name...) is hard to beat.
The only Tech I think is better is my British brass Ball End Tech.
It's a bit more efficient than both my Fat Handle and my aluminum Ball End.
The English Flat Bottom Tech is definitely one of my Top Tier Techs. My personal Tech rankings:

1. Tech/NEW Hybrid (England) - "Like Buttah" and one of my absolute favorite razors.
2. #34 Tech (Germany)
3. Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
3. Flat Bottom Tech (England)
3. Post-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
4. Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)

The #3 ranked Techs are equally great, just different.

With Techs, my preferences include the Charcoal Goods Brass and Copper, TiBam, rusdrunkbear Ti, Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti and Maggard MR11 handles.

YMMV :)

The English Flat Bottom Tech is definitely one of my Top Tier Techs. My personal Tech rankings:

1. Tech/NEW Hybrid (England) - "Like Buttah" and one of my absolute favorite razors.
2. #34 Tech (Germany)
3. Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
3. Flat Bottom Tech (England)
3. Post-war Fat Handle Tech (Canada)
4. Gillette 1950s #24 Ball Handle Tech (England)

What is better with the Canada made versions of the Fat Handle Tech compared with the "unworthy" U.S. made versions?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What is better with the Canada made versions of the Fat Handle Tech compared with the "unworthy" U.S. made versions?
The USA versions are certainly not "unworthy". ;)

The Canadian versions just seem to give me a slightly better shave. Hard to quantify.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The USA versions are certainly not "unworthy". ;)

The Canadian versions just seem to give me a slightly better shave. Hard to quantify.

Although I don’t prefer the Canadian Techs over the USA or Brits, I believe that they are just a we bit more aggressive. That 1932 Canadian Tech is quite possibly the most aggressive Tech out there. But that is just my experience.

And David, I’m still hunting that German #34. It’s quite an elusive one due to the fact that there is really not much criteria with which to search for it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Although I don’t prefer the Canadian Techs over the USA or Brits, I believe that they are just a we bit more aggressive. That 1932 Canadian Tech is quite possibly the most aggressive Tech out there. But that is just my experience.

And David, I’m still hunting that German #34. It’s quite an elusive one due to the fact that there is really not much criteria with which to search for it.

I lucked into my #34 thanks to a tip telling me that one was available on the German auction site.

The stock handle is not to my liking but, when used with one of my 'go to' handles, the #34 has become one of my favorite Techs - though still below the Hybrid Tech. 😎

Just my opinion. :)

I find those cheap chinese techs with the gillette branding to shave poorly.
The geometry is similar, but the materials are not as good. It's a die cast zinc alloy head with a plastic handle.
Certainly the Gillette Sterling (and its equivalents) is made from cheap materials. However, I don't see how that automatically translates to poor shave quality. After all, it uses an original Gillette mould. The ability of the head to give a good/bad shave should surely be the same as a vintage Tech produced from the same mould.

In the context of a thread discussing Tech "clones", I'm struggling to see how anything can be better or more authentic than a razor head cast from an original Tech mould.

Certainly the Gillette Sterling (and its equivalents) is made from cheap materials. However, I don't see how that automatically translates to poor shave quality. After all, it uses an original Gillette mould. The ability of the head to give a good/bad shave should surely be the same as a vintage Tech produced from the same mould.

In the context of a thread discussing Tech "clones", I'm struggling to see how anything can be better or more authentic than a razor head cast from an original Tech mould.
You could set your table with paper plates and plastic utensils. After all, these things enable you to get food to your mouth. These things are factory fresh and pristine. Still, I think it's nicer to eat from porcelain plates and good quality stainless steel flatware, these provide a more pleasant experience.

Good tools are pleasant to use, above and beyond their function. Good tools tend to be made well and last a long time. They are not necessarily expensive.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The head on the Gillette Sterling head appears to be the same as the Baili 131 and GSC RepliTech and the entire razor looks to be identical to the YingJiLi. The heads are patterned from the 1965 Gillette Tech and are okay shavers but the original 1965 Tech is better.

My personal preference (after the English Hybrid and German #34) is for the Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle, English Flat Bottom and for the English 1950s Heavy (63g) #24 Techs. My 1965 and 1966 Techs are good, but follow the others in my personal Tech hierarchy.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Hey man, you obviously like the Gillette Sterling razor. That’s great. Enjoy it! But I don’t have to agree with you. That’s what makes this hobby so interesting. Different people have wildly different results with the same gear. Enjoy your shaves!

Have one of those I bought several years ago. Can't remember what it cost but it was cheap. Works great though. IMG_3037.jpg

I was going to order the Chinese Gillette razor with plastic handle in the blue packaging. Is it really stainless steel? Right now I am using a Feather Popular and like it just wish the guard bars were metal. I try to avoid Chinese made things.

I was going to order the Chinese Gillette razor with plastic handle in the blue packaging. Is it really stainless steel? Right now I am using a Feather Popular and like it just wish the guard bars were metal. I try to avoid Chinese made things.
Received it last week and tried it once few days ago. Was good and efficient with the provided blade. Didn't expect that razor to be efficient but did a good job for 3$ shipped. Edit : didnt expect the handle to be plastic and tried a regular handle on it and it doesnt fit.
IMG_20201218_133652.jpg

Received it last week and tried it once few days ago. Was good and efficient with the provided blade. Didn't expect that razor to be efficient but did a good job for 3$ shipped. Edit : didnt expect the handle to be plastic and tried a regular handle on it and it doesnt fit.
View attachment 1198758
It it stainless or pot metal tho? I'd like to find a non China made modern tech that isn't pot metal

It it stainless or pot metal tho? I'd like to find a non China made modern tech that isn't pot metal
I have no Idea but for the price wouldnt be surprised if it's not ss. If I use a magnet on it sticks hard. If I try my SS handle from another razor or a SS bowl it barely sticks so would say its pot metal.

I am a fan of the tech style razor as well as the NEW. My favorites are the 50's British Ball-End Tech and the British NEW w/ an aftermarket handle. I like the ability to go with the standard shave or dial it up with a few little tweaks.

With that background, this thread grabbed my interest so I went out and bought a Baili 131 and 178 from Amazon. I loaded them up each with a new Vokshod and took them for a spin. Long story short, I am not a fan of the 131. A little too much blade feel and a bit aggressive for my taste.

I am a fan of the 178. This one was much better and was more of the classic "tech" feel. With the same tweaks I got a DFS+. It is 99% of a BBS. A sharper blade than the Vokshod would probably give me a BBS.

All in all the 178 is good. For $13 delivered from Amazon, this is a solid razor. It isn't going to displace my other favorites, but I would not hesitate to recommend this one (or its cousin the 176) to a fellow shaver.

I like both the Gillette Sterling and the Gillette Super Blue, plastic-handled razors.. though my ball end tech and Baili “Victory” do give “better”, less effort to attention shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My stated opinion is that the Techs from Pre-war Techs through the 1950s heavy Ball End Techs are some of the best razors ever made - as long as you prefer the Tech type of shave and learn how to best shave with a tech.

If you do not want to shave with used razors (even after sterilizing), the Black Tiger offers a good shave for $11 including shipping.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
With time, all opinions are subject to change.

The Black Tiger I got was a very early version. I'm not sure if the current production Black Tiger is the same.

Given that, I won't recommended a current Black Tiger until I shave with one to verify its current standing.

In any event, my recommendation remains: get a genuine Gillette Tech, preferably a Pre-war or Post-war Fat Handle or 1950s Brass (47g - 63g). These are superb shaving razors - better in every way than the clones.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

I recently purchased the Razorock DE1 becuase it was on sale. I threw it into the cart as an extra item because it was so cheap, and I had to pay the $7 for shipping anyway. I have been using it for a week now with Iridium Super and Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp blades (India). I did not expect much from it as I had tried 2 or 3 Gillette Techs. in the past, and really could not get good shave from them. I am incredibly impressed by the DE1. I am getting excellent shaves. Close and comfortable. Either my techique has improved dramatically or something has been tweaked in the DE1 to make it a better shaver for the way I shave than the original Tech. What a pleasant surprise.

eric

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I found this "Dose of Envy" razor at the Burlington Stores for $1.99. Figured I'd give it a shot. Why not. Definitely a Tech clone. Had a blade installed in the razor in the package, which is very dangerous. Didnt see it at first and nearly sliced my finger trying to jettison the razor from the tight plastic inner sleeve. This one looks like a stamped steel base plate with a zamak top cap. Exposed blade tabs. Feels cheap but not overly flimsy. I'll give it a try one day soon. But definitely NOT the Dose of Envy blades. Lol.

20210110_184852.jpg

20210110_184904.jpg

Top Bottom